PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Peters lake NE of Shuger Lake?

Junorr500
06-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Buddy and i are thinking of hiking in for a weekend to Peters lake from the east. Has anyone ever done this hike before? Id love some input on how the hike is. Trail condition length of the hike etc. My main concern is the grizz that might be in the area, anyone had any problems with them up there? We are thinking of going in late august, there will probably be a fire ban on then so we cant use that to keep us safer at night is one of my concerns. I might be overworried about the grizz for no good reason but better safe than sorry.

Illbe goin there from westbank, is it better to drive through cherryville to Arrow lakes then take the foresry roads north to the trail head or would it be better to drive to revelstoke and head south to get to the trail head?

Anyway any info on the area would be great thanks.

BCbuckhunter
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Last year I want to spectrum lake on the July long weekend. Its a really nice area. There are bear caches at peters lake and spectrum Lake. There are a good number bears in the area but there is a lot of hikers that go through there in the summer. If you carry bear spray and make noise the bears will leave you alone. The fastest and easiest way the get there is to go to the trail head on the west side, but as your are planing on going in from the east than go to Needles and north. There is no trail into the park from that side, but its only a KM from the nearest cut block to Margie Lake and then good trails from there on.

XPEIer
06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I used to be the Senior Park Ranger for the Monashees, from where you park your vehicle it is about a 25 minute scramble to the top of the wall, from there it is an amazing "saddle" hike from Margie Lake over to Big Peters. There are minimal facilities at Margie, I think a bear cache, toilet and that is all. At Big Peters is about a dozen wooden platforms, toilets, bear caches. From there it is a good day hike up to top of Mt Fosthall, highest point in the park. If you want to do the through trip, you need to be picked up at Spectrum trailhead, so two vehicles or a shuttle is required. The nice thing about this is it is all down hill, from Little Peters. the "headwall" is a serious switchback trail down to Spectrum Lake a real knee buster (clip toe nails for this one). Spectrum Lake is the Ranger Station for the Park, couple of dozen tent pads, toilets, bear caches and a great fishing lake.

The 6km from Spectrum out to the trail head is a boring hump, sorry, no way to sugar coat it.

As far a bears, no worse than anywhere else, I worked there for 8 years and never seen one on the trails, but they are there.

On your way out, stop a Spectrum Falls, worth a stop and short hike down to the viewing platforms.

xpeier

GoatGuy
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Not a bad trip, usually the fishing's really good and beautiful country once you get up high. Only hiked in through spectrum.

One thing to remember is you aren't allowed to take the dog in there. Only thing that's kept me out of that park for the last 10 years. Super ghey.

Junorr500
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Sounds like its a shorter hike than i thought it would be. Glad to hear its a popular hike. How is the hike from spectrum up to peters? And the map shows 2 trail heads from the west side, one at rainbow falls and one farther up the valley up a logging road. Whats the one to take? The trail head further up the valley looks like its on the south side of the creek so do you have to cross that creek at some point? Anyway im looking forward to it.

boxhitch
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/monashee/

wrenchhead
06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Ya been there a number of times from spectrum. From the main parking lot to spectrum is only an hour and a bit but the hump from spectrum to little peters is a good steep pull. Once at little peters its easy going again to the big lake.(maybe take around 5 hours all together. Lots of nice day hike opertunitys from peters and make sure you bring a fishing rod because fishing is always hot in those high lakes. With the snow this year there will be some right into late July I bet.

Junorr500
06-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Looks loke the trail head is on the north side of the creek. Just follow the sighns?

RiverOtter
06-19-2011, 09:49 AM
The trail head from Rainbow falls is the old original trail, before all the logging in the area. Last time I was there, it was not in very good shape, due to lack of use/maintenance. I've always wanted to go in from Paint/Margie lake side, but never have.

Enjoy your trip and make sure to check out "Valley of the moon", as it's supposed to be well worth the price of admission.

Junorr500
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Looks like we have decided to go in from the east side. Longer Drive but a easier hike i think. This will be my first backcountry outing time to get equiped. Anyone have the link to the threads with all the pack lists on them?

XPEIer
06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Junorr, the travel time to Big Peters is the same, it is either a long drive or a long hike, your choice. From the second trail head to Spectrum is 6km, from Spectrum up the headwall is a pain in the legs for sure. Switchbacks, and dumb ones to boot, climb straight up an avalanche chute for 45m then turn and hike down 45m. As mentioned once you make the hill to Little Peters it is basically a sub alpine walk.

You may want to check with the Forest Service in Revelstoke in regards to the roads in from the East, hate to drive all the way down there and then hit a washout.

xpeier