PDA

View Full Version : gauging distance

blackwater moose
06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
having done my first 3D shoot at Cowichan, which was awesome, i found the key was getting the distance correct. i know that i need lots of time with my range finder figuring distance. what are some of the ways you can gauge distance at a 3D shoot?

satalite bull
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
ground range find 20 yards on the ground and work you're way out to 30 then 40 till you get to the target if it's way out there like 60 yards go to 30 and double it on the ground this works for me and you can get good at 20,30,40 then if you double it you can get 80yards if needed

Bow Walker
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Estimating yardage is the single biggest factor to being accurate - either hunting or 3D. Sometimes you don't get the chance to range an animal while hunting, you gotta go with an estimate of the distance. Critical.

At a 3D it is also critical to be able to accurately estimate the yardage to the target. Even with a "speed bow" being off by a yard or two at 30+ yards will mean the difference between a 10X (11 to Bill) or just a 10, or even an 8.

Practice is the only way to get better. Estimate distances when you're walking along the street, pace it off to confirm. Estimate distances when you're walking anywhere. It's easy to pace off the distance to see how close you are.

oldtimer
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Practise, practise and more practise. As Dan says constantly be judging yardages even when walking in town. At a 3D shoot I will use 2 methods. #1 find 20 yards and work from there. #2 estimate the 1/2 way yardage.
Have fun. Mike

Bow Walker
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I'd offer up my method but I totally suck at yardage estimation.....