PDA

View Full Version : Rut closure region 5

Spy
06-06-2011, 09:44 AM
By now everyone that has hunted mulies in region 5, knows about the season changes, that were brought in a couple years back. Can anyone shed some light on why they were changed?

Was there a conservation concern if so, are the numbers of deer up since the changes?

Should the season be changed back to what it was, if the numbers of deer are up?

When they say "rut closure"does that mean NO hunting for any deer, antlerless included?

Is the rut closure only for residents or do the guides also shut down their deer hunting operations during the closure?

Thanks

Spy:-D

GoatGuy
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
No conservation concern, politics. Buck:doe ratio from the post rut flights was around 20:100, conservation kicks in at 10:100.

Waiting to see the official numbers, but an educated guess puts the buck harvest at less than half of what it was.

Deer numbers in the Cariboo are super high, have been for 10 years - difference between the buck:doe and overall population. Population is high, recruitment is down, some bios think it's because of too many deer.

Whatever is in the regs applies to residents and outfitters.

The only reason why it was opened up for the Nov 20-30 was so outfitters could book combo deer/cougar hunts.

Spy
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Goatguy I was asked these questions over the weekend & did not know the answers!Im sure I could have done a search for them on HBC,thanks for saving me the time.