PDA

View Full Version : How far from your truck/atv/boat would you walk to hunt moose?

PeaceRegionInfo
06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all the responses to the sheep hunting/hiking question. Now, the same question for moose hunting. How far from your truck/ATV/boat/plane would you walk to hunt moose? This is assuming you don't have horses to pack out the moose.

I'm trying to figure out potential levels of hunting pressure in different MUs and this information is very useful, so thanks again for the responses.

Ubertuber
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd go a 1-2 km at most, but ideally a lot less. Moose are big animals that are/can be plentiful, so there is no need to hike many KM's to get to prime habitat IMO.
If you do drop one way back, de-bone it and make sure you have a camp full of young guys willing to show off how tough they are.

akyne
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I guess it could vary depending on a few other mitigating circumstances, but if I'm all alone I doubt if I'd be wandering much further than a kilometer. If I'm a kilometer from the truck and I drop a moose, there's four trips back to the truck with 120lb + loads just for the quarters, plus maybe one more for backstraps and any organ meat, plus factor in whatever rack / cape you might be trying to haul out. By the time that's all said and done, you're looking at 10kms + round trip hiking with some pretty serious weight on your shoulders. In all reality, I doubt I'd want that sucker much further than the length of the winch cable / rope I have on hand.

eastkoot
06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
There is no "none of the above" option so I'll pass on the poll. If you have ever packed a moose out from ANY distance you'll understand my response..

akyne
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I guess whoever voted to hike 32km from their truck, without horses, is leaving a lot of meat in the bush. :???:

Mr. Dean
06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I doubt that I'd hunt moose solo, unless it stood on a road.

Rock Doctor
06-06-2011, 11:22 AM
For a Moose, If I can't hit it from the boat/atv/truck/plane then it's too far to pack. I'm usually alone when out looking for Moose.

RD

leadpillproductions
06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Moose are heavy closer the better .

BlacktailStalker
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Probably a bit further than most but I like to bone my meat out so what often takes 4 trips can be done in 3.

IslandHunterBXL
06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
if i was solo, its gotta be within rope/winch reach, or it walks. il find another one closer

little moose
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
anyone who would pack a moose more than 2 k has either never shot a moose or dosent realize how far 2 k through the bush actualy is or never put a pack board on thier back

oldtimer
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
The question was " how far would we walk to " Hunt " Nothing saying you walk in to the sweet spot, get your moose, go back get the quads, load em up and back to camp.Provided your not in a region that doesn't allow quads. Mike

358mag
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
only a far as I can reach with a winch cable

pappy
06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I park my truck in places that aren't the end of the road. With a pack, by myself, earlier in the day I would be willing to pack a moose out about half a km off of a road that I can drive down. Also depending on how steep and how bushy it is. I have packed moose quarters out of the slash with no frame or internal pack, it wasn't fun but it wasn't that hard either only being 200 yards away from the truck.

nature girl
06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I put 1 km if i got one farther then that and i had to carry it i wouldnt have nice language coming out of my mouth that day.

cruiser
06-06-2011, 05:57 PM
As mentioned above, I hunt on foot and tend to walk many km in a day, but it's in areas that I can get a quad/4wd into if/when I get my moose. I'd rather not debone unless absolutely necessary. It's easier to keep the meat clean and the flies off quarters than with lots of small peices. YMMV

Deaddog
06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
we have shot moose 8 km back, with six guys you can bring ALL the meat out deboned..in one trip, all depends how much work you want to do.. DD

Lillypuff
06-06-2011, 06:18 PM
no farther than 200 yards I will leave it up to the young and energetic to shoot anything else

jml11
06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Done 1km+ a couple times. Two trips with two guys and got it all out both times...deboned of course.

TheProvider
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
As far as it takes

LYKTOHUNT
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
The question was " how far would we walk to " Hunt " Nothing saying you walk in to the sweet spot, get your moose, go back get the quads, load em up and back to camp.Provided your not in a region that doesn't allow quads. MikeX2 on this response lots of times I get off the quad to hunt moose and can walk lots of km, but that does not mean if you get something that you cant make it back to the kill with the quad to retrieve it, it may be as simple as just driving in farther or maybe cutting a trail.

6 K
06-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I was named for my longest moose pack
No getting anything but a horse across that land slide.
Two very long days and I went back on the third morning for the antlers.
Worth every mouth full.
6 K

Jelvis
06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I road hunt for moose, I like moose meat so I go for the younger moose for quality meat. From the side of a road for moose for me. No big pack out.

moose2
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I put four I have done this a few times with moose and elk and maybe a bit further. If you shoot one early morning you might get it out around dark ( de-boned with 3 heavy trips and large antlers or lots of gear may add one more). Most of the time a big animal this far back will take two days. 4km back = 32km of walking 16 with alot of weight. I have always said if I see a booner and have the time I would do up to four days of packing to get it out , but this needs to happen soon I am not getting any younger. The hunter that said 32km either wasn't serious or has never packed anything yet this would take at least 8 12 hour days to achieve. The last one I de-boned and packed out of the mountains was to chewy to enjoy , it was about 4km back. Not sure if I would do it again for a meat bull.
Mike

hunter1947
06-07-2011, 02:25 AM
At my age I voted one kilometer they are heavy sun of a guns if there a big bull..

Moosegetter
06-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Did 1-2 k pack outs with moose when younger and it wasn't fun then so closer to the machine the better now.

Mikey Rafiki
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm hoping to get a group draw with my bro and old man. Ideally within shooting distance from the road, but we often get carried away and end up a few km's away. It would have to be decent to do a long hikeout, unless its nearing end of season.

Rackmastr
06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I shot a bull two years ago by myself in a swamp in an area that is foot access or horse access only. Was about 5km back or so. Quartered it myself and then took one load out myself before calling help. We had a game cart and got it loaded out by supper time.

Next year I was about 7 to 8 km back when dad shot his bull. Few friends came out and we had it out by dark. Great day of work! Lots of work! Thinking of doing it again with wife unless we decide to hit a prairie zone here in Alberta instead!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I see no mention of "horses"?? Just motorized vehicles.

SSS

Rackmastr
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I see no mention of "horses"?? Just motorized vehicles.

SSS

Yep horses would change the whole game. I'd knock a bull down 15-20km into the bush if I had a couple ponies!

silvicon
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I voted 1 km, but last year was close to two.
Try to keep it under one km.
No horses or ATV. The first are to expensive to keep, the second muddies the hunting experience