PDA

View Full Version : moose calf killer, hanging in shop!

bear buster
06-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Went for a ride this am with my wife, did'nt expect too see much as it was pouring rain. Covered a few miles of roads seen some deer and moose, came to a pipeline which has been nice and green for a month or so now have seen good bears there in past. And there at about 400 or so yards was a big ol blacky, stock was on got to point that I had picked to shoot from and the bugger bolted for no reason. made circle of area nothing...back to truck went to end of road about half mile away turned around and came back, bear was back out...try number 2 same as first bear bolts, so at this point I am soaked and just about ready to head back to truck. Out pops bear #2 he runs across pipeline and heads for tall grass sits down and starts eating, I got to within 65 yards, too small...wait what is that he's eating? looked through scope and seen head and body of newborn moose being lifted in air, nuff said. 165gr Fusion on its way, curtiousy of the mod 70 .308 smack in the shoulder going out neck on opposite side. He was not the bear i was after but he was a moose killer had to be done, make some good eats for the family, nice lilttle boar 3 year old maybe 4? The stock on this bear was about 15-20 min seen no cubs, once I seen the moose calf he was eating it just had to be done.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247138_10150283638979673_774369672_8878003_78858_n .jpg

Mik
06-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Good Call, Congrats

Weatherby Fan
06-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Nice bear,good story,gota love that truck !
WF

nolimits
06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
He deserved that 165gr Fusion if you ask me. Nicely done. Congrats.

Darksith
06-05-2011, 07:36 PM
nice bear, but I really doubt if that bear killed a healthy young moose, or took a healthy calf from a healthy mom. More like the calf died of some other cause and the bear was simply getting its feed on an opportunity. A healthy cow moose would simply demolish most black bears, especially one of that size.

No matter though, congrats on the bear.

todbartell
06-05-2011, 08:05 PM
yeah a black bear would never find a calf moose and kill it, that would be absurd! :D

congrats on the bear, good work

bear buster
06-05-2011, 08:13 PM
nice bear, but I really doubt if that bear killed a healthy young moose, or took a healthy calf from a healthy mom. More like the calf died of some other cause and the bear was simply getting its feed on an opportunity. A healthy cow moose would simply demolish most black bears, especially one of that size.

No matter though, congrats on the bear.

http://youtu.be/QDEW-nIg844
did you see the cow demolish the bear?

bear buster
06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
we did see the cow after I shot the bear and it had another calf with it, she was grunting and pacing back and fourth, so between the bigger first bear and the mad mooma moose in area in was a quick load and head for home, reason for no feild pics aswell.

Ride Red
06-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Nice bear and cool looking truck. Nice job.

Mountain Hunter
06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow, crazy, great video.

You can bet that shit happens all the time, unfortunately the only calf moose I've ever seen dead was one caught up in a barbed wire fence near 70 Mile 2 yrs ago. The little guys take a shit kicking out there this time of year. Same with well-intentioned people picking up deer fawns hidden in the grass, might as well as sign their death certificate!

Nice bear and truck by the way!

.330 Dakota
06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I saw a documentry one time and it showed a black bear dart out of thick cover and grabbed a calf moose that was walking 30 or so yards behind the cow. It was gone with the calf in about 10 seconds...really fast. In Ontario as I am sure its the same everywhere they roam, bears are responsible for 80% of the moose calf moralities. Wolves and desease do the rest. As for the video, ya it happens, but I have seen a video where a bull moose kills 10-11 wolves out on a lake and put the run on the rest of the pack. It happens but more often than not the wolves win. And before the naysayers turn this into an argument, it is a published stat,,google it please. and I will not participate in debate, thank you.

Phil
06-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Way to whack him! Love that paint job too!

moose2
06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice job on taking a bear that has figured moose hunting out. I think they get lot of calves each spring. I was antler looking last spring near FSJ when I noticed a cow moose standing on the cut line I was walking. Her head was down ears back and she was looking into the timber, her new calf was standing directly under her. All of a sudden a black bear exploded out of the timber directly at the moose. The cow started to run with calf close behind and the bear behind them gaining on the calf. I told my redbone hound to "GET THE BEAR" she started to chase and bay and the bear left the moose with my dog behind it. I know if we hadn't showed up right then that calf would not have got away. Glad you got that one. I remember years ago you could harvest 5 bears a season up here and were only required to take out a quarter of the meat. I remember there being a lot more moose around then as well , not sure if the regulation changes affected this or not. It makes sence less bears more calves survive.
Mike

porcupine
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
You did your good deed for the day!

sakohunter
06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I watched a Canadian geographic on the Newfoundland moose and the high mortality rate due to Black Bears. Once their moma teaches them how to kill, they just do what genetics tell them to. When you read the stories from the sheep hunters up north the griz do the same thing, find a kill zone and wait for an ambush. If we kill bears or if we don't it changes nothing moose calves will be killed. It is the circle of life, can't stop it or hope to change what shouldn't be changed. I am glad you harvested a Bear, it looks good. You should be proud of your harvest for the hunt, not because the bear was doing what it should of been doing. The predator/prey cycle is a balance and increased predator Hunting limits only leads to disease and starvation die offs in the end. When we intervene it usually F's thing up..Great Bear-Nice truck

ques deer
06-05-2011, 11:14 PM
congratulations good decision in shooting this blackie he deserved job well done

bear buster
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey Moose2, was that you I met last hunting season opening week of moose out there? By the Kiskatinaw River? if so the bear was shot on the pipeline about .5 mile from where we were talking. I was driving my red ford explorer.

The Dude
06-05-2011, 11:51 PM
As for the video, ya it happens, but I have seen a video where a bull moose kills 10-11 wolves out on a lake and put the run on the rest of the pack.

Last year at Band Camp I saw a Unicorn disembowel three Orcs, six Ents and a Balrog, so yeah, I guess it can happen. ;-)

hunter1947
06-06-2011, 03:17 AM
Calf killer dead good for you anchoring this black he won't eat any more calf's ,very nice wright up as for getting your bear ,congrats..

moose2
06-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Hey Moose2, was that you I met last hunting season opening week of moose out there? By the Kiskatinaw River? if so the bear was shot on the pipeline about .5 mile from where we were talking. I was driving my red ford explorer.

It was me you were talking to , but no I havent harvested any black bears for years , my dog just chased that one in the spring. How did the early moose season go for for you. I ended up with one.
Talk to you later Mike

Tikka270wsm
06-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Good job on the bear and that is some awesome paint job on your truck.

.330 Dakota
06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Last year at Band Camp I saw a Unicorn disembowel three Orcs, six Ents and a Balrog, so yeah, I guess it can happen. ;-)

Any pix?..................

Angus
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247138_10150283638979673_774369672_8878003_78858_n .jpg

When I first saw the photo I thought it was a Bruins' fan who hung himself after Burrows' game 2 overtime goal!.

Darksith
06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
well Im obviously wrong and appologize. You always hear how dangerous cow moose are when their calfs are involved, but I guess they can make mistakes, lose focus etc etc, and I would bet that a younger newer cow to motherhood would have more calfs taken than an older more experienced cow. I stand corrected.

moosey
06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Congrats on the bear – although with all due respect, bears will do what’s natural to them in their natural environment, be it scavenging, or killing moose calves. I see no difference in killing one that’s eating a moose calf over one that’s eating berries. We kill because we’re hunters, not because we object to what animals do in order to survive.

The Dude
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Any pix?..................

I had a bunch, but when we went through the wormhole there was some kind of magnetic field that erased all my Micro-SD cards, and all I have is my vivid memories! :D

I don't think anyone begrudges the bear a meal, it's just that so much effort goes into raising a moose calf, carrying it thru the winter and surviving the weather, starvation and predators, that it just seems a shame to eat a tiny calf when they can grow so huge, and produce so much food! (For me)
It's like watching someone eat their seed corn, I guess.

lineofsight
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
just seems a shame to eat a tiny calf when they can grow so huge, and produce so much food! (For me).

The "For me" part was just funny - Damn bear stole my food!

The Dude
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Well it could have grown up to fill my freezer! I can always hope, ya know! :-)