PDA

View Full Version : Spot and stalk black bear with a bow?

allan
06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
If you hunt black bears spot and stalk style with a bow do you carry(have) a "backup" plan? Re rifle, bear spray, partner with rifle ect. What's your preferred setup?

Bow Walker
06-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Spot and stalk on a black bear with archery equipment really only has one "setup" that's viable. Kill it.

If you do your job right - there's no need for 'backup'.

I've hunted blackies and have yet to pack 'backup'.

KodiakHntr
06-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Nope....No backup required.

Slip an arrow into them, and they generally head in the direction they were pointed before the arrow slipped into them.

Ddog
06-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I am with Bow Walker on this one,, never have carried a back-up weapon , never will carry one when out for black bear, other than the knife on my hip for gutting him when he has expired because of the arrow. I have taken several bears with the bow now and passed on several more, all with the spot and stalk and all within 30 yards.

The Hermit
06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
When I'm doing a spot and stalk with archery on black bears I do carry bear spray. Better safe than sorry.

ThinAir
06-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I've done it with and without. I do feel better packing bear spray or my defender..... but I'm just a wimp:)

greybark
06-05-2011, 08:07 PM
A pack of Baby Wipes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeboehm
06-05-2011, 08:12 PM
black bears usually run the opposite direction from you but when im hunting black bears in grizzly territory i carry my remington 870 with a 12.5" barrel

redthorn
06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Why would you need to? Unless you're letting out some sort of War-Whoop as you release, he shouldn't even know you are there.

Smithers
06-05-2011, 10:34 PM
i'm a little more leery of spot and stalking with bow only since running into a 7 foot grizz at 20 yards after coming over a small rise in a clearcut. he huffed and puffed and huffed and puffed and.....ran straight downhill in the directionof my truck, but i never did see him again.

J_T
06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Depends on how far you might be from your vehicle etc. If I'm doing a lot of hiking I might carry my defender but it isn't in defense for the animal I hope to take. My back up is traditionally another bowhunter.

Big Lew
06-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Although I don't hunt bear anymore, I'm always in bear territory when hunting, fishing, hiking, or out with my cameras. The only time I take along protection is certain areas with high cougar populations, and then I will sometimes carry bear spray. About the only time I am nervous is when I'm by myself (which is usually the case) and I'm gutting and packing out a deer or moose. I've been doing it for 51 years with only a few worries....maybe my next outing will turn ugly, but I try to pay attention to my surrounding, and will continue the same way.

Bow Walker
06-06-2011, 08:29 AM
If I was in Grizz country I'd certainly pack something or have someone as "backup". Since I'm hunting here on the Island (South Island, at that) I'm not worried about grizzlies. Hunting is something that I usually do with a buddy anyway.

When I say I've hunted blackies and have yet to have a backup - I mean that I don't pack anything extra, other than the buddy I am with....and we both bow hunt.

steel_ram
06-06-2011, 08:55 AM
It's when you get really really close, and then decide to pass. Backing out of a stalk can catch a bears curiousity. Usually if you shoot a bear, it doesn't know your there and will take off in a panic. Don't be standing in the direction of least resistance.

Big Lew
06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
One of my "worries" happened 3 or 4 years ago while sneaking up a partly re-grown slash on a secluded hillside. Part way up a grassy skidder trail at a sharp corner I heard something, so I made ready with my bow, and around the corner comes a huge old boar. He was close enough that I could have touched him with the end of my bow. As I had camo and paint on, and the bow with extra arrows was up and in front of my face, he didn't know what I was. We both just stared at one another for what seemed like forever, and finally he slowly turned his head so that he could check out an escape route, and then he was gone. (I'm sure he could hear my heart pounding) If I had moved, even to get bear spray or gun, he was so close, I don't think I could have defended myself if he chose to attack.

TheProvider
06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
No back up

Rectifier
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
My Mossy 500 with the 18" slug barrel usually accompanies me everywhere I go (outside of the city). I plan to have it with me bowhunting as well, mainly in case I run into opportunistic predators. Probably will mount the pistol grip to decrease length/weight.

I agree if a bear were to turn on you there is no time to draw it.
For my first bear I plan on having a buddy holding a gun ready to take a follow-up/defense shot just because a man has a right to be a little scared shooting his first bear.

Bow Walker
06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Good plan. But be sure that "buddy" has a hunting license and a tag.

Rectifier
06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Of course we will both have our tags, and I will be holding the gun when he takes his first bear too :D

Wish I could have been in BC for spring bear season this year, I was so pumped up for it, too. Going to have to be a fall bear during deer season, I guess.

bushpig slayer
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
i always rely on my insane ninja skills,if this doesn't work i use the crocodile dundee move and put the bear to sleep.other than that shoot only the right moment when head down feeding

Bow Walker
06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Of course we will both have our tags, and I will be holding the gun when he takes his first bear too :D

Wish I could have been in BC for spring bear season this year, I was so pumped up for it, too. Going to have to be a fall bear during deer season, I guess.
That's one thing on my "bucket list" too - taking a bear with my bow. Soon, I hope, soon.

Bow Walker
06-12-2011, 10:11 AM
If you hunt black bears spot and stalk style with a bow do you carry(have) a "backup" plan? Re rifle, bear spray, partner with rifle ect. What's your preferred setup?
Upon further reflection - were it legal, I'd be packing a magnum handgun as 'backup', since it's not legal I go 'commando' when hunting black bear. Hunting in pairs is probably the safest bet - providing there is a plan in place and each hunter is fully aware of the contingencies.

Eagle1
06-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Upon further reflection - were it legal, I'd be packing a magnum handgun as 'backup', since it's not legal I go 'commando' when hunting black bear. Hunting in pairs is probably the safest bet - providing there is a plan in place and each hunter is fully aware of the contingencies.

You go " COMMANDO" when bear hunting, is that so you don't have to clean the sh@t out of you tighty whiteys or is so that after the bear is down, oh wait I don't want to know. LOLOLOLOLOL : }

backcountrybowhunter
06-12-2011, 09:58 PM
nope no back up, i trust my self and my bow to do its job more than a gun that can miss fire or have a dud bullet. and if you know you have backup u may not be so careful.