PDA

View Full Version : Badger hunting

HUNTERTREV
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Is it legal to shoot badgers, if so whats the season for hunting them or is thier a season? seen a nice one this weekend while bear hunting, i wanted to shoot it, thought it would make a nice mount but not sure on the rules and regs for them so just let it pass.

Gateholio
06-05-2011, 02:35 PM
If it was legal to shoot badgers in BC, they would be listed in the hunting regulations.

monasheemountainman
06-05-2011, 02:36 PM
before you think about shooting something you should read and fully understand the regs. thats why we have them and they're free!

Slinky Pickle
Good thing you didn't pull the trigger.

http://www.badgers.bc.ca/

There are very few badgers left in B.C. and most of the ones that are here are watched quite closely by the M.O.E.

jdmck
I would suggest you consult the regs should you shoot a badger and take it to the taxidermist it could possibly be the last thing you shoot for a while...no it is not legal to shoot badgers

Riverratz
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Others beat me to it..............NO YOU CAN'T !!!!

Consult the Hunting Regulations: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012.pdf
or go get a copy, read it, and absorb.

See page 53:
BADGER SIGHTINGS
Hunters & trappers should be aware that the BC
subspecies of Badger is federally endangered and on
the BC Red List. There are no hunting or trapping
seasons for badgers. The estimated population is less
than 300 animals. Badgers still occur in the Cariboo,
Thompson, Nicola, Okanagan, Boundary & East
Kootenay. Please report sightings of Badgers in the
Kootenays to (250) 489-8540 and elsewhere in BC
to 1-888-223-4376. Badger information can be found at
ww.badgers.bc.c

In simple terms.............ALL WILDLIFE IN BC IS PROTECTED UNLESS THERE IS A LEGAL HUNTING SEASON !!!!!

Badger (and many other species of wildlife) is NOT listed anywhere in the BC Hunting Regs. as a legal species to hunt........therefore it is protected.
It's quite simple.

Some people just don't seem to be able to grasp this concept ????

Rectifier
06-05-2011, 03:35 PM
You can't shoot it, but it looks like you can report the sighting: http://www.badgers.bc.ca/HYSAB.htm

Not a trophy you can hang on the wall but you can get some satisfaction from helping out the conservation effort. Kind of like finding a waterfowl band.

ruger#1
06-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Funny thing is, I have seen a few Badger crossing signs around Princeton and 100 mile house. They are a protected species.

Big Lew
06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Even though badgers are on the red list in B.C., if you are observant, you can spot them occasionally. There has been a badger(s) living by a culvert north of Kamloops the last few years. I have seen them living in burrows along the railroad embankments south of Savona, and know of a burrow close to Hedley.

Slime green cat
06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Saw one just outside of Kimberley last week ... Cool little critters !

Mountain Hunter
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM

That's cool to see a live one, most people only see them dead on the road. Apparently that's their main predator these days!

It's super tough if not impossoble to get a permit for a taxidermy mount even if found dead on the road apparently! Best to report the dead ones too I suppose.

donperk
06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
that's why i always pack a camera ...
great shots don't always come from a gun!!!

Phreddy
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
About the most highly efficient marmot killer around. Haven't had a marmot on our property since they transplanted a few marmots in the area.

BigBear.338
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
guys asking a question,respond properly and quit gang up on people its sad a simple check the regs ,would do.

wrenchhead
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
They are neat creatures, always seem to have something on their mind. In reg. 8 iv seen them on the golf course in osyoos, king eddy lake area, and momma and baby at silver star.

olharley guy
06-05-2011, 09:38 PM
guys asking a question,respond properly and quit gang up on people its sad a simple check the regs ,would do.

Howdy, this is kind of what I was thinking after reading the first few answers to his question-some people may be new to hunting and the regs are sometimes not completely user friendly to a lot of people. Later

Slinky Pickle
06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
The OP got plenty of correct answers and no one tore him apart about it. If he had actually leafed through the regs he would have got the answer he was looking for. It's every hunter's responsibility to know the legality of hunting an animal before he's looking through his scope wondering whether he can pull the trigger or not.

Big Lew
06-06-2011, 07:35 AM
The OP got plenty of correct answers and no one tore him apart about it. If he had actually leafed through the regs he would have got the answer he was looking for. It's every hunter's responsibility to know the legality of hunting an animal before he's looking through his scope wondering whether he can pull the trigger or not.
x2, I've re-read the posted responses and don't see any bashing or character assaults.

SHAKER
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
By the responses you know that you can't shoot them in B.C. BUT if you want one you can shoot them in Alberta! I've been look'n for the last 20 minutes and can't find my regs for there but I'm sure it's restricted to private land which shouldn't be too hard to find.

mjmbc
06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
yes there a pest in ab and can shoot them anywhere, vicious little beasts

Slinky Pickle
06-06-2011, 08:38 AM
From the 2010 Alberta regs

Red Fox and Badger –
A Resident may, without a licence and at all times of the year, hunt (but not trap) red fox and hunt badger on any privately owned land to which he or she has the right of access.

SHAKER
06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks, I still can't find my regs... oh well back to work.

Tripitaka
06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
yes there a pest in ab and can shoot them anywhere, vicious little beasts

Hell yeah! And be careful to stay away from the dead ones too as they are prime carriers of TB. They are protected in the UK too but dairy farmers have big problems with them as they spread TB amongst the herds and can cause a whole herd to be terminated. Consequently, they are actively pursued using dogs to flush them out of their setts and then shot but the common disposal method is to drop them out of a vehicle at the side of the road during the night. You'd be surprised just how many dead badgers at the side of the road have bullet holes in them!

As I grew up around farms, I guess I view badgers and foxes the same way you guys view coyotes.

lovemywinchester
06-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Honey badgers are bad ass.Check out the vid. Mclean made a joke about this guy on coaches corner last game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Mountain Hunter
06-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Hell yeah! And be careful to stay away from the dead ones too as they are prime carriers of TB. They are protected in the UK too but dairy farmers have big problems with them as they spread TB amongst the herds and can cause a whole herd to be terminated. Consequently, they are actively pursued using dogs to flush them out of their setts and then shot but the common disposal method is to drop them out of a vehicle at the side of the road during the night. You'd be surprised just how many dead badgers at the side of the road have bullet holes in them!

North American badgers, (Taxidea taxus), do not carry bovine tuberculosis. You are referring to the controversy in Britain with the European badger (Meles meles), completely different animals!

sawmill
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Was it near the golf course towards Cranny?I`ve seen them there too.Funny,on the Aberta hunting site those guys are shooting them like gophers.

Mr. Dean
06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Back in Saskatchewan when I was 16, on a dare and a bet for a 24 of Old Style, I took on a badger hand-hand combat style.

What a foolish mistake that was. :sad:

warnniklz
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I seen a badger at least 5 years ago now at the top of the Bella Coola hill... took me a minute to figure out what it was. At first I thought it was a marten on the side of the road so I pulled over to take a look. Then realized what it was.