PDA

View Full Version : Back from Griz hunt'n!

SHAKER
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Well it was a fun one.... no shortage of bears and no shortage of country to explore either. We got turned around because of a wash out and couldn't access where we wanted to get to. So plan B and checked out another area. Seen tons of blacks but couldn't find any good slides to glass up. Finally we found a trail that would access some very nice look'n country so we made a note of it and went back to camp for a bite to eat. Sit'n around in the heat of the day we figured we should have a little look down the other valley. Getting really disappointed that their was no slides to look at and just a tunnel of bush to cruise threw.

Enough is enough and 29 k's from camp we pulled the plug for the evening. Leaning on the quad doing a little B.S.'n with my dad and formulating a plan for the next morning he whispers that theirs a bear on the road. Pulled the glass's up and sure enough their goes o'l long claw walk'n across the road twards the river.

Cool got ya cornered now since the bush was only about 40 yards wide between the river and the road, we closed the gap a bit and I proned out on the road awaiting his return. 10 minutes and nothing? we were starting to second guess what he might do so my dad crept out twards the river to see if he was walkn' the bank. Just as he hit the bush he wandered back out at 150 yards exposing his shoulders broad side, so I sent a 250 Nosler into them shoulders and the rest is history!

He squared 7'5, and skull goes just under 23" green. Not a monster but he's mine. I want to thank several HBC members for their insite, info and snow reports! Thanks guys you know who your are! If we ever meet in person their will be a cold one or 2 on me!
http://i54.tinypic.com/27wrt3o.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/b908.jpg

Tikka270wsm
06-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Nice bear!

.330 Dakota
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice Bear Shaker...congrats,,what region were you in?

yukon john
06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Nice Bear!! x2 on what region?

SHAKER
06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Region 7 and not where we wanted to be, but I guess it worked out just fine!

d6dan
06-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice Yogi Shaker!.

kennyj
06-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Awesome! Looks like a big one.
kenny

BromBones
06-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Nicely done!

houndsman
06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Well done shaker. was he in one of the slides or on the road . How far can you get up the road ? is most of the snow gone ? Im going back to my cabin on tuseday

nolimits
06-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Nice bear. Congrats.

Blainer
06-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Great looking bruin!
kinda wish the story was longer,but great finish.
Good on you and your dad.

Freshtracks
06-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Great looking bear ... congrats.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice grizz !

ianwuzhere
06-04-2011, 07:52 PM
gotta love it when lucks on your side! congrats on a beauty grizzz!

emerson
06-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Sometimes things just work out, nice bear.

uraarchr
06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Good work Shaker!Nice bear

SHAKER
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Great looking bruin!
kinda wish the story was longer,but great finish.
Good on you and your dad.

Sorry it was a bit of a rush story, been unpacking, re-salting, final trimming dealing with phone calls about telling the story, informing customers that they have deer mounts to pick up ect.

Wish their was allot more story to tell but the actual hunt was rather uneventful otherwise.

We seen a fair wack of critters though, my dad probably had the best encounter while having a little snooze on the quad while I was capeing the head and paws out.

At aprox 6 the next evening I was enjoying a Jack and coke and my dad figured he'd go for a little put down the road well didn't see much on the way down so he stoped and ended up have'n a little snooze. While dozing off he heard several loud "huffs" from behind him. Wheel'n his rifle around he spots a Griz run'n away from him at about 40 yards. Spooked a bit and not getting a draw he starts back to camp, well almost back and he see's another bear walk'n down the road. Glass's it up and sure enough another Grizz! so he watch's it walk around the corner and then drives up there, appon reaching the corner the Grizz is standing in the middle of the road at about 60 yards have'n a little stare down with him.... fortunatly everyone went their seperate ways.

The morning I got my bear we also called a 5 1\2 foot black into 6 yards. We watched him for several minutes before he finally had enough of our games and wandered off. Sure was good referance on facial details for taxidermy work. I think I got the eyes just right on my Island bear from last year. LOL

Just a great trip with my dad and sure was glad he had my back while we were on our hands and knee's look'n for that Grizz in the thick stuff! We spend several minutes clearing brush and alders for the pictures. Thanks for the kind words guys I've been try'd 6 times to finally get one.

M.Dean
06-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Excellent story and photo's! Congrats on a fine looking Bear!

BromBones
06-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys I've been try'd 6 times to finally get one.

Good on ya for keeping at it, and getting the job done when you had the chance.

Congrats again on a dandy bear :)

boxhitch
06-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Deserves an attago or two
Good ploy, waiting on the roads

shallowH2O
06-04-2011, 10:19 PM
nice work shaker, way to get er done!

Mik
06-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Glad you both made it back safely, Congrats on the Grizz.
PS: I cant seem to find the pics, did they disappear?... Now that I'm on my iPhone, I can see the pics clearly! Great looking Grizz. Sounds like you had an awesome trip with your dad. So is the mount gonna be a rug? Life-size or 1/2 mount?

hunter1947
06-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Congrats on getting this Griz looks like a good one will look good on the wall or floor ,PS notice the pattern of the front foot toes etc ..

Blainer
06-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Sorry it was a bit of a rush story, been unpacking, re-salting, final trimming dealing with phone calls about telling the story, informing customers that they have deer mounts to pick up ect.

Wish their was allot more story to tell but the actual hunt was rather uneventful otherwise.

We seen a fair wack of critters though, my dad probably had the best encounter while having a little snooze on the quad while I was capeing the head and paws out.

At aprox 6 the next evening I was enjoying a Jack and coke and my dad figured he'd go for a little put down the road well didn't see much on the way down so he stoped and ended up have'n a little snooze. While dozing off he heard several loud "huffs" from behind him. Wheel'n his rifle around he spots a Griz run'n away from him at about 40 yards. Spooked a bit and not getting a draw he starts back to camp, well almost back and he see's another bear walk'n down the road. Glass's it up and sure enough another Grizz! so he watch's it walk around the corner and then drives up there, appon reaching the corner the Grizz is standing in the middle of the road at about 60 yards have'n a little stare down with him.... fortunatly everyone went their seperate ways.

The morning I got my bear we also called a 5 1\2 foot black into 6 yards. We watched him for several minutes before he finally had enough of our games and wandered off. Sure was good referance on facial details for taxidermy work. I think I got the eyes just right on my Island bear from last year. LOL

Just a great trip with my dad and sure was glad he had my back while we were on our hands and knee's look'n for that Grizz in the thick stuff! We spend several minutes clearing brush and alders for the pictures. Thanks for the kind words guys I've been try'd 6 times to finally get one.sounds to me like you found a honey hole.
From our previous conversations,I could recognize that you and your dad are the type of hunters that make every effort needed for success and you are deserving.
my hat's off to ya.

Pioneerman
06-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Nice looking bear and good story, thanks for sharing

Brambles
06-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Hey Buddy

Way to go, nice bear, cull as many of those buggers as you can, make the bush safe again LOL.

I'm assuming that if you were using a 250 gr you didn't use the 300 ultra mag?

Nice work, later

Jeff

Big G Hunter
06-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Beauty bear. Doesn't matter where you got him, you got him!!

treeclimber
06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice bear buddy!

nature girl
06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Shaker, it is great you get to be in the outdoors with your Dad. Those memories you will cherish for the rest of your life. And a congradulations on a nice Grizzly bear.

grizzlydueck
06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Nicely done ! hope to do the same up north this year and would be proud to get a twin to yours ! very nice ! were you useing a 338 ? 250grn ?

SHAKER
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
First question, what kind of mount? Since I do taxidermy, only a life size mount will do!

Brambles: I sold the 300 ubber to buy a 338 ubber sendero. I know it was a luck find.

338 win mag with 250 noslers will kill just about anything that walks.

And I do hunt with my dad quite a bit, nice that we both have the "GO" to do what's nessisary to get the job done. I hunt with my wife quite a bit now too but the more extream hunts we my dad usually acompany's me. The really cool thing is I killed that bear 2k's from where I killed my first moose.......15 years before!

Thanks for the kind words guys and Tree Climber, sorry we didnt' need your raft but I do thank you for letting me use it!

Mr. Dean
06-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Road Huntin' for G-Bears!
Wadda hoot!!

Congrats :smile:

moose2
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice looking G-bear congratulations
Mike

Elkaholic
06-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Great stuff Derek! That is a great story and memories you will have for a lifetime with your father. Grats on the great looking griz!

jml11
06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Glad it all work put for you and that is a pretty good bear for the area! Too bad about the washout, I was concerned about that...Some of the bigger bears in that area have been spotted on the road believe it or not, just gotta luck upon one! Congrats again!

GoatGuy
06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Well done, hopefully you didn't work the old guy too hard.

doubled
06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Beauty bruin shaker. Bear season is open tonight folks!!! Time for some canucks to make another kill.

WaldoFive
06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Congrats on a great Bear.

BCHunterTV
06-06-2011, 04:34 PM
congrats on the nice griz

GRIZZEZE
06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey Man Congrats,

I gotta say you are slipping a little, you mean you actually got camp set up???????
Last time you and I went out after old long claw, we did not even find a camping spot before we had mine on the ground. I guess not everyone can get they'r bear before they start hunting for them.

Any ways congrats looks like some nice colors on that one, hopefully I can see it in a couple of weeks if you do not have it at the tannery yet, and if you do then pics and beer will do.
Glad to see one of your trips for the big g bear finally turned out in your favor, and tell your old man he is supposed to be hunting not snoozing, its safer that way.

GRIZZEZE

tracker
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Persistance sure pay's off ,congrats on a fine looking grizz.

THE BEAST
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
nice bear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BEAST

jaeger
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Congratulation Derek!
Will we be seeing some of that meat at next years Game banquet? I have the perfect recipe for it!!!
Cheers Heinz the cook

BCHunterTV
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
nice looking griz!

elkhunter1
06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Congrats on a nice Grizz.
Just came back from 7-28
saw 0 Grizz 9 Black Bears Most over 6 feet got nice 6 foot 3 inch BB
But no Grizz sign at all.
Disapointing thinging Spring Grizz Draw is a total money grab.

SHAKER
06-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Couldn't agree more! Allot of area's could sustain a GOS on these things, I've hunted up north several times for these critters and some trips have only seen a track or 2 in two weeks! but hey......50 tags looks like the they're releasing more instead of prime area's where theirs only 1 or 2 available.

I've said this many times but limited entry probably ends up kill'n more animals then it does good. Waiting for a tag makes you finger real itchy... IF you KNEW you could hunt Grizz next spring would you shoot the first legal bear you see? This is another topic though.

And Jaeger my friend..... we'll do something special for sure!

bigben
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Right on there nice grizzly and sound like a exciting trip great story good on ya

chilcotin hillbilly
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Nice bear Derek, I am glad you got to go.

Budman
07-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice Bear Derek! How did you like the road to get in that area? My buddy and I didn't have any luck. Had to go back to work. We had talked to you the day after you and your dad arrived from Keremeos. I was driving a silver/grey dodge 4x4. Anyhow straight shooting!

Budman

SHAKER
07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice Bear Derek! How did you like the road to get in that area? My buddy and I didn't have any luck. Had to go back to work. We had talked to you the day after you and your dad arrived from Keremeos. I was driving a silver/grey dodge 4x4. Anyhow straight shooting!

Budman

Hey.... It was a great chat on the side of the road. That other road was evil slow going! You said it was an slow, but that was just rediculas. But all worked out in the end. We'll have to cross paths again some time soon. I got some great reloading ideas to chat about.