PDA

View Full Version : Release problems

seanfalloy
06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Im shooting with a TRU ball Diamond thumb release which i really like (alot more than trigger releases). recently i found that when i anchor in behind my jaw bone the release jaws kick out and cause my POI to change by over 2 ft and 45m (side to side). I was however shooting fairly consistently like that but my pin on my sight was over a half inch to the left of the arrow line.
Is there any tips for using a thumb style release that people have found. I started loosening my grip on it and bringing it away from my jaw but that makes for a week anchor and is very inconsistent.

Bow Walker
06-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Sounds like your torquing the release head/D-loop and string by forcing your knuckles in behind your jaw bone. Are you shooting the release with your thumb up or down?

If it's down, and the back of your hand is against your face, then try not to really dig into the soft spot behind the jaw bone with your knuckle(s). Just press firmly, not hard. It might help the string torque.

Failing that, you might have to anchor your knuckle(s) in your ear hole as an alternate anchor point....or somewhere else that is easily repeatable and reliable.

seanfalloy
06-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Sounds like your torquing the release head/D-loop and string by forcing your knuckles in behind your jaw bone. Are you shooting the release with your thumb up or down?

If it's down, and the back of your hand is against your face, then try not to really dig into the soft spot behind the jaw bone with your knuckle(s). Just press firmly, not hard. It might help the string torque.

Failing that, you might have to anchor your knuckle(s) in your ear hole as an alternate anchor point....or somewhere else that is easily repeatable and reliable.

Yes that was what i started to think as well. i am shooting with my thumb down so my knuckles are probably pressed to deep into my jaw. I never thought about the ear as an anchor point. I will give that a try next time out thanks.

Bow Walker
06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure, but you could also be bending your wrist while trying to press your knuckles into the soft area behind your jawbone. That wrist bending could result in twisting and/or torquing the D-loop, which in turn will put unwanted pressure on the string when you release.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-05-2011, 09:37 AM
also sounds like you are punching the trigger.

try releasing by not moving your thumb but by relaxing your fore finger.
its hard to explian over text ... but put your thumb on the post but dont activate the release ... at full draw (I sugest getting a rope loop or alike to practice as well) put your thumb on the post ... and relax your fore and possible the middle fingers to set the release off ... you will find these release far more consistant than pressing your thumb into the post ...

your 3rd and pinky finger will cause the release to rotate slightly in your hand to press the post into your thumb ... not your thumb into the post.

you can accomplish the same thing by not releasing the fore finger but by squeezing your 3rd and pinky into your hand.

Either way ... once you get your thumb set and preloaded (for lack of better term) it should never move to set off your release.

this is also how you shoot a Hinge (or Backtension) release aid

seanfalloy
06-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Ya i have been trying to shoot it as a back tension i may be punching it but i am very cautious about how the release is being triggered. I haven never heard it explained like that though. i guess im trying a few new ideas today.
I personally tried to stay away from the pinky squeeze because i felt like it rocked the release to much

Bowzone_Mikey
06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
and the "proper Backtension " doesnt rock the release ????? ...It rocks it more as there is a more movement involved .. you are suppose to squeeze your shoulders together to acheive scapular motion ....
the way i described above is the way explained to me by George Ryals and Dave Cousins at a couple of seminars I attended.
Dave designs releases for Carter as well as a very accomplished archer