PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Longhunter

smoke-eater
06-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I am thinking about getting a Kifaru longhunter backpack. Does anyone on here have one? What do you think of it? How does it compare to the mystery ranch 6500? Thank you for your time.

Bighorn hunter
06-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I have used a longhunter guide for a couple of years now and really like it, great capacity, have stuffed a shoulder alaska yukon moose cape in it with no problem. Handles heavy weights really well. My only gripe would be the shoulder straps could be a bit more padded. Have never used the mystery ranch packs, have looked at them and they have great looking shoulder straps but are a fairly heavy pack IMO.

BH

smoke-eater
06-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks BH. I have been watching all of the Kifaru youtube vids, and according to the owner, if the pack is fitted right there should be no weight on the shoulder straps. So the amount of padding shouldnt be an issue?

Have you added any extra pockets onto your pack? One thing I don't like about the pack is the lack of extrenal pockets. No place to put a spotter or tripod.

Elkaddict
06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I have both a G1 Kifaru freighter frame with a cargo chair and a MR Nice frame with the load sling. I don't do multi day backpack hunts so I don't have big bags for either frame. The Kifaru is light and comfortable. The MR is not so light but a little more comfortable. If you are into hauling large bone in quarters the MR is the way to go IMO. The Nice frame with a load sling is a way nicer frame to lash a large quarter to. The Kifaru handles heavy weight well, it is just not as handy when lashing bulky loads down. If you are looking for a light multi day alpine pack the Kifaru would definitely warrant consideration as I think you would have a substantial weight savings over the MR. The quality of construction of both packs is top notch (I have the Kifaru lumbar pack and a Longbow bag for my MR). Sorry I can't shed more light on their bags.

Bighorn hunter
06-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I have added some of the pockets, can't remember the names though, added two long narrow ones to the sides and one long wider one to the middle which will fit my swaro angled scope and tripod.

As for the no weight on the shoulders? Seemed tough not to have some weight on them when the pack was over a hundred pounds. Did stuff a deboned front and deboned back quarter at the same time off that alaska yukon moose and had considerable weight on the shoulders, no idea on the weight but had to be close to 175lds? The pack handled it better than I did thats for sure.

Cheers
BH

kuiu
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Did stuff a deboned front and deboned back quarter at the same time off that alaska yukon moose and had considerable weight on the shoulders, no idea on the weight but had to be close to 175lds? The pack handled it better than I did thats for sure.

Cheers
BH

And after it was stuffed with 175lbs of meat you put the pack in a wheelbarrow???? I am in pretty good shape for my age and have packed a few 100lb (weighed on a scale) loads over the years, but claiming you can carry a 175lb pack any distance in the bush is crazy! The average person couldn't even lift 175lbs off the ground, never mind putting it on their back and walking on uneven terrain in the bush. I would pay to see you do this!

Bighorn hunter
06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Call me a liar, couldn't care less what someone on the internet say:) You tell me what a deboned front and back quarter way then, All I know is it was freaken heavy.

bigwhiteys
06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think you'll find a pack on the market that won't put some weight on the shoulders at the 100lb mark. Even 50-60lbs you'll have to re-adjust your pack (hipbelt) every 1/2 hour so, depending on what you are wearing and how much you sweat... If your back get's sweaty you can't really get the waist belt to stay tight. It will gradually slip to the point where the shoulder straps are holding up some weight. Undo the hip belt, give a little jump and when the pack goes UP cinch that waist belt down tight and continue on.

Carl

smoke-eater
06-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I have added some of the pockets, can't remember the names though, added two long narrow ones to the sides and one long wider one to the middle which will fit my swaro angled scope and tripod.

As for the no weight on the shoulders? Seemed tough not to have some weight on them when the pack was over a hundred pounds. Did stuff a deboned front and deboned back quarter at the same time off that alaska yukon moose and had considerable weight on the shoulders, no idea on the weight but had to be close to 175lds? The pack handled it better than I did thats for sure.

Cheers
BH

I don't think you'll find a pack on the market that won't put some weight on the shoulders at the 100lb mark. Even 50-60lbs you'll have to re-adjust your pack (hipbelt) every 1/2 hour so, depending on what you are wearing and how much you sweat... If your back get's sweaty you can't really get the waist belt to stay tight. It will gradually slip to the point where the shoulder straps are holding up some weight. Undo the hip belt, give a little jump and when the pack goes UP cinch that waist belt down tight and continue on.

Carl

Thanks guys, BH, is there any chance that you have your kifaru bag in use? And how do you find the lumbar support on the pack? is it reall soft foam? It looks reall big in the videos on youtube, almost too big......???

Bighorn hunter
06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys, BH, is there any chance that you have your kifaru bag in use? And how do you find the lumbar support on the pack? is it reall soft foam? It looks reall big in the videos on youtube, almost too big......???

The foam is not soft, firm would be what I would say. I find them to be quite comfy.

On a side note I just got thier new KU model the other day and can't wait to try it out for my august sheep trip. Doesn't look to me like it would handle big loads all the time. definatly not a pack for a guide to use all season thats for sure, but do think it will be a great pack for many years if only used for one or two trips a year.

smoke-eater
06-04-2011, 03:43 PM
The foam is not soft, firm would be what I would say. I find them to be quite comfy.

On a side note I just got thier new KU model the other day and can't wait to try it out for my august sheep trip. Doesn't look to me like it would handle big loads all the time. definatly not a pack for a guide to use all season thats for sure, but do think it will be a great pack for many years if only used for one or two trips a year.

I was looking at those KU ultralight packs as well. They look a lot nicer then the kuiu packs. What size did you go for?

Bighorn hunter
06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Went with the 5200, added a 3 big pockets, loaded it up the other day just to see how big it was, lots of room and final weight was just under 4.5lbs. 3lbs lighter than my longhunter all rigged the same.

Kootenay Nordic Sports
06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I have the Longhunter and really like it. The most I have carried is 75 lbs so far.......hope that changes this Elk season!

troutseeker
06-04-2011, 05:24 PM
I had a Kifaru Longhunter and I liked it a lot, except for the lack of pockets. I now have a Mystery Ranch 6500 and Crewcab and although heavier than the Kifaru, I like it better. Fit is better for me and I find it more comfortable with a load on.

Elkaddict
06-04-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't know if it will help you or not, but here is a side by side of the Kifaru and the MR Nice. The Kifaru is a G1, I don't know how much they've improved them with the later generations.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/V1Vr/P1040756.jpg

BCbillies
06-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I've been using the Longhunter Guide for 5 years and strap two long side bags (old MEC Serratus bags) onto the sides for extra storage. Pack handles weights in the 100 to 140 lb range pretty good other than the hypalon on the top of the bag that overlaps the frame was tearing a little . . . but Kifaru recently upgraded my pack with some of the G2 features for free and I'm good to go. After seeing/trying the new Barney packs I will likely make this my next purchase for strictly sheep/caribou hunting as they are very well designed, durable, comfy and now lighter.

Rackmastr
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Been running an MR pack for the past 3 years or so now. They've fit me well and worked as a very solid hauling pack. Sometimes I do hate how 'rigid' the frame is and the weight of the pack, but overall I love the system.

Recently I decided I would try something a bit newer, so I am going to run a Kifaru EMR with XTR top lid and some waist belt pouches and long pockets. I havent received it yet in the mail (damn shipping issues) but I'm very excited to see how it performs in the sheep mountains this year!

Bighorn hunter
06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
hey Smoke-eater

Here is a pic of my longhunter guide at work.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/vga_pics_002.jpg (javascript:;)