PDA

View Full Version : Rivers West Camo

jackson13
08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Anyone out there have Rivers West clothing? I am just curious what you think. Was it worth the $$?

kutenay
08-17-2006, 06:59 AM
I bought a set last autumn, the "Back Country" jacket and pants; it is well made (very), heavy and you WILL sweat like a packhorse wearing it when exerting yourself. It is NOT suitable for backpacking, however, for early Turkeys or late season, rainy-sleety standhunting, it is about as good as it gets.

The jacket fits superbly, the pants fit well, but, the "rise" is lower than I like in a bush pant; I want my mine to fit like logger's pants and prefer Filson's whipcords and Cabela's Microtex for most hunting. For hunting in easy country, close to your transport and in really foul B.C. weather, the RW gear is great, but, it is costly.

As to ...worth it..., that is really hard to determine on the 'net, as different people evaluate gear differently. I do not worry about cost, I am concerned with function first and foremost; I would say that RW is priced at what you can expect for high-end U.S. made gear....$$$$$$$!!!!

I think that this is gear that is better suited to we "old pharts" with various rheumy parts as it keeps you WARM; it is certainly not for sheep-goat-mulie style hunting.

Gateholio
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I just recieved a pair of Cabelas Micotex- In Outfitter Grey Camo....

So far one horse ride and they fell pretty good. Unfortunately, I will need ot wear a belt. As with many pnts, I need to buy oversize to accomodate my legs...So the waist is always too big,.

And these have no buttons on them, so I will need to buy some clip on suspenders, I guess...

Never used RW. They look nice.

4blade
08-17-2006, 03:35 PM
it is very warm ,i wear mine while riding to hunt area but it does not breathe ,meant more for crappy weather or stand hunting ,it is nice stuff though .they now make a lighter version that is supposed to be better suited to warmer weather .havent been able to find it or price yet,they call it their L.A.W system.

ryanb
08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I have a set of pants from them. Unfortunately they don't breathe at all...so Hiking uphill in them for any distance unless it is extremely cold is probably unwise. It's not like the vinyll stuff that doesn't breathe though, the inside is all fleecy so you don't really end up soaked, just really hot and slightly damp. I only wear them now when it's really cold outside.

BC4Bowhunter
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I have two jackets backcountry and the ambush both are excellent for wet windy weather. I have use them up in Yellowknife NWT and it kept me toasty in the cold weather. However in warm weather or early season you'll sweat if you hike. I bought RW for cold weather hunting and I say it is worth the $$$.

sidney-hunter
08-17-2006, 08:59 PM
absolutely worth it! ive had the backcountry jacket for a couple years now, and it does what they say. it is 100% water and windproof, very quiet, and stretches instead of ripping if you snag it. i havent used it in any super frigid weather yet, but in piss pouring van. isl rain and wind its wicked. the nice thing about many of their products is that if you do in fact find yourself getting warm, they usually have some type of zippered vent to help you cool down while still being covered. just my .02 cents.

sidney-hunter
08-17-2006, 09:01 PM
on the money issue, you seem to need less items than browning (for example), and its usually quite a bit lower in price.