PDA

View Full Version : Black bear hunting in Sea To Sky country.

nolimits
06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to, first of all, say hi to all members here. I just recently joined this forum and not only enjoyed reading countless stories many members have shared here, together with their hunting pics, but also found several answers to questions that were on my mind. No point in hiding of the fact, that I am also new to hunting and since I don't have any family members or friends that hunt, I am going to have to learn the ropes myself.

I am about to go on my first hunt, my first bear hunt, and for sentimental reason I am thinking about going towards Suqamish or Whistler. With this in mind I would like to ask you for your input and suggestions where would be good place to try. Of course I am not asking for your honey spots, just a decent access to crown land. Also please keep in mind that I will not be driving 4X4 vehicle. I will appreciate all your opinions. Thanks.

MB_Boy
06-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Lots of areas to go up the "corridor". You can head up towards the Elaho Valley.....heading up Squamish River Road. There is the road that heads back in behind the Chief...Indian River cut off is closed but there are plenty of "just fine" roads you can drive in there without a truck. Find a spur and get out and walk.

There are also a number of FSR's as you head north of Squamish.....and you can drive in on most of them some ways without a truck/4x4.

No shortage of bears anywhere up that way.....have been to and from Whistler 3 times in the past month and have seen bears on the highway every trip.

If you can get a backroads map book.....you'll see there are lots of roads they just may vary as to how far you can get in.

vortex hunter
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
the Elaho is great took me a bear outta there on tuesday BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE GRIZZZZ

pse&remington
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
read your regs closely dont get caught shooting grizz or hunting on roads not permitted for hunting

MichelD
06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah, no motor vehicles permitted past 50.5 mile on the Elaho G-Main.

See regs page 35.

nolimits
06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Thank you all for your replies so far. Even if no motor vehicles are permitted past 50.5 mile on Elaho G-Main that;s still plenty of distance to be covered.

Also when I read that comment from Vortex Hunter to watch out for Grizzlies at first I thought that he is trying to pull my leg, but little I knew. Did some research and sure enough, there is small population of Grizzlies in Elaho Valley. This is something I would have not expected after going up and down that corridor on regular basis for over 15 years. Learned something new today. Thanks for the heads up.

There are some FSR at the end of Squamish Valley Road, just past the new Ashlu Creek Power project. Would anyone know about that area??

06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I saw a bear lickin the grease trap behind the mcdonalds in Squamish last week, So I would set up somewhere close to that. Maybe in the bushes beside the drive through. Plus if you get hungry while you wait and glass for your trophy you have food seconds away and free refills on your cola for the whole day. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck. And shoot straight.

MB_Boy
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Also when I read that comment from Vortex Hunter to watch out for Grizzlies at first I thought that he is trying to pull my leg, but little I knew. Did some research and sure enough, there is small population of Grizzlies in Elaho Valley. This is something I would have not expected after going up and down that corridor on regular basis for over 15 years. Learned something new today. Thanks for the heads up.
??

Yup....there was a young boar walking down one of the main drags in Squamish a couple of years ago. I have seen pics of a sow with cubs in Brandywine Meadows.....they are DEFINITELY around. Have heard reports of fishermen seeing the occasional grizz while fishing the Squamish/Cheak/Mamquam; and I think someone posted pics of one either on here or one of the BC fishing forums that was on the Squamish.

MB_Boy
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I saw a bear lickin the grease trap behind the mcdonalds in Squamish last week, So I would set up somewhere close to that. Maybe in the bushes beside the drive through. Plus if you get hungry while you wait and glass for your trophy you have food seconds away and free refills on your cola for the whole day. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck. And shoot straight.

AND........there is an A&W across the street if a Mama Burger and some onion rings are more your style.

mungojeerie
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Couple years ago I was bear hunting for a day in Squamish, Spent the day in the bush without seeing one. Did however find a freshly stolen motorhome ditched in the bush and pumped full of bullet holes. Took photos, gps info and flagged the roads in to it. When we got back out and into town I called the RCMP who told me to go wait at the 7-11 for an officer who would take the info. While sitting there waiting a big ol bear came running up out of the bush, across the 7-11 drive way and onto the hwy where it ran in circles 3 or 4 times and promptly ran back into the bush from where it came from lol.

Cops had no interest in taking my info, wouldnt take gps coordinates, photos nothing but the vin # and a rough description of where it was then ended up calling me back twice over the following week to ask me questions again... idiots.

4cefedomni
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah I've seen a grizz in the elaho about 15 years ago. And about 2 years ago I was driving by 200 branch and saw an elk swimming across the river. I've heard there is moose in there too buy I've never seen one.

nolimits
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. With all the info obtained here I will be up there tomorrow doing me best to make ya all proud.

domyalex
06-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Saw a cow moose in Elaho last year, as well as a heard of elks.

Obviously, haven't seen anything I could shot at... <sigh>

new hunter
06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
If you end up in whistler I saw a nice black bear up rutherford creek last week , bout three clicks in , hanging out below the second slide area.

MB_Boy
06-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Or....if you end up in Whistler.....put on a pair of plaid pants and a golf shirt....grab the biggest driver you have and hit Nicklaus North; you should be able to whack one on the noggin' by the 3rd hole. While gutting though....ensure you let other golfers "play through".

bandit
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah I've seen a grizz in the elaho about 15 years ago. And about 2 years ago I was driving by 200 branch and saw an elk swimming across the river. I've heard there is moose in there too buy I've never seen one.

My non hunting buddy told me he found an elk shed up the elaho a couple of weeks back. Showed me the photo and it was the funniest elk antler I ever saw - it had palms and everything!
The loggers in the elaho legally have to protect certain areas for the moose winter range. Dont know how big the herd is though.

nolimits
06-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, well. I wish I had something exciting to report from my first ever hunting trip, but I am afraid it is no so. Went as planed to Elaho Valley, with a friend, another rookie hunter with whom we took CORE, and was driving for a better part of the day on main and some side FSR. On the main went almost all the way to 48 mile where snow was encountered and we had no choice but to turn around and go back and start checking out the side roads. For the last 1 or 2 miles before the snow our hopes went really high because there was about 10 or so, fairly fresh bear crap piles, but unfortunately that's as close as we got. Not even a single bear sighting. Well, well again. The good news is that my first bear is going to live another day and I will very likely go there again next weekend try my luck one more time.

The weather was awesome, and since we never have been so far up the valley, we had great time to be outdoors and be checking out new area. Also against all we were expecting, being so close to Vancouver, sunny and all, we have seen almost no people there.

nolimits
06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Or....if you end up in Whistler.....put on a pair of plaid pants and a golf shirt....grab the biggest driver you have and hit Nicklaus North; you should be able to whack one on the noggin' by the 3rd hole. While gutting though....ensure you let other golfers "play through".

LOL. Good suggestion but naaaah, golfing will have to wait a little, because I intend to take my first bear the old fashioned way, with 180gr from my 30-06.

NaStY
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Next time try staying up there till last light. Also try calling, you will be surprised what they will do....

nolimits
06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Next time try staying up there till last light. Also try calling, you will be surprised what they will do....

I would have loved to stay there till last light, but because my partner had some serious family commitment and also it was Canucks game night, it was not to be. As I said before, I'll go back and on that occasion I intend to be more persistent.:-D:-D:-D

RJ
06-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Get out of the truck!

Paulyman
06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Spent alot of time in this area and agree 100%

Lots of areas to go up the "corridor". You can head up towards the Elaho Valley.....heading up Squamish River Road. There is the road that heads back in behind the Chief...Indian River cut off is closed but there are plenty of "just fine" roads you can drive in there without a truck. Find a spur and get out and walk.

There are also a number of FSR's as you head north of Squamish.....and you can drive in on most of them some ways without a truck/4x4.

No shortage of bears anywhere up that way.....have been to and from Whistler 3 times in the past month and have seen bears on the highway every trip.

If you can get a backroads map book.....you'll see there are lots of roads they just may vary as to how far you can get in.

seanps
06-06-2011, 08:50 AM
For what it's worth, I've spent the last two seasons in that area creeping around the bush, mostly looking for grouse, and only had my first bear sighting on Friday. That said, I can think of a handful of swampy, berry-bush-filled areas that are always full of bear droppings -- you just need to find a place that no one else knows about.

Like the other guys said, there's no point in driving all day. You'll only see other cars. Get as far out that road as you can and start hiking. Look for game trails and get away from the main roads.

North Star
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Went hiking up the Squamish in December, maybe five clicks past the end of the pavement due to snow maybe knee deep. I went back to the same place the next weekend and a Grizz had walked in my footprints in the snow up one side and back down the other along a dried up channel of the river for maybe a kilometer. There were still a few chum in the river that I assume he was fishing for.

nolimits
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Sorry guys if I didn't explain in greater detail, but yes, we did go hiking few times. First of all, I did lots of driving because as I said earlier I was new to the area, and wanted to cover and learn as much as I could about that valley, so for starters we went all the way to far end, till we hit the snow pack. Then on the way back we started to check the side roads but that when we ran into problems. Most of the side roads, except for 3 or 4 had some sort of ditch across it, not sure if it was man made or caused by overflow of water, or combination of both, so needles to say we had no choice but hike in order to see what was there.

There was also another issue that we had. Although we covered such a great area, we have seen almost no open or clear-cut spaces. Most was reforested several years ago and grew pretty much out of control, in let's say 90% of it you wouldn't be able to go inside that bush to take a leak. Having said that, and being a new hunter I wouldn't feel comfortable to make a decision about taking down a bear without knowing for sure if there are cubs around. Same goes to hiking to far from the car. With no experience I was not sure if I felt like dragging a bear, if I got lucky, all the way back to the car. I can only hope that making such decisions will only get easier if and when I learn and get that experience. Still I consider this first trip great lesson and good beginnings.

chinookkiller
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
in my opinion,dont waste time in that area,lots of new hunters from metro vancouver drive around in the valley all days .i had hunt this area almost 10 years,you can found the bear number are continue dropping very hard,and also the size!recently three years,i did saw bear in there,but no shooter!

lovemywinchester
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
The big Grizzly hanging around the Squamish/Cheakamus is called "Khan". There is also a sow that I have heard about a few times but I can`t remember what they call her. Many people have seen him walking around while fishing. This Grizz was garbage hunting down town a few years ago. The Squamish valley has some Elk in good numbers now so I am sure we will see more Grizz in the future. No LEH yet though. Be aware when hiking up there.

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20070518/SQUAMISH0101/305189997/grizzly-spotted-downtown

vortex hunter
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah It was a rush lol being stalked by a grizz in the Elaho Valley last year while out looking for deer for fall.....made my buddy crapppp himself ...

nolimits
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah It was a rush lol being stalked by a grizz in the Elaho Valley last year while out looking for deer for fall.....made my buddy crapppp himself ...

All the bear craps I've seen were certainly not grizzly's coz I didn't see any bells and pepper sprays in it.:-D:-D:-D

Deer_Slayer
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
try up squamish river and towards Elaho..don't waste your time up the corridor..most of it is no hunting and no access.

nolimits
06-07-2011, 10:50 PM
try up squamish river and towards Elaho..don't waste your time up the corridor..most of it is no hunting and no access.

If you read the whole thread you will find out that this is exactly where i went. Elaho Valley. Had fun there, but no luck.

Broadside
06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
The big Grizzly hanging around the Squamish/Cheakamus is called "Khan". There is also a sow that I have heard about a few times but I can`t remember what they call her. Many people have seen him walking around while fishing. This Grizz was garbage hunting down town a few years ago. The Squamish valley has some Elk in good numbers now so I am sure we will see more Grizz in the future. No LEH yet though. Be aware when hiking up there.

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20070518/SQUAMISH0101/305189997/grizzly-spotted-downtown

I took the pic that made the front page of the Chief for that grizz :mrgreen: Rooting in the trash bin...

http://brettg.smugmug.com/Photography/Wildlife/i-R6sR38d/0/L/DSCF0197b-L.jpg

TheProvider
06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm out most weekends in squamish every now and then i bump into hunters and chit chat with them, most of them have been from delta, surrey, and maple ridge. They ask where they can go and for the most part they headed in the opposite direction. I've told them good areas where I've passed on 6- 6.5 bears this season. Guess they figured i was telling them a bunch of bull. any ways theres more bear territory in the sea to sky then you can ever explore. Look at maps, double check "no shooting areas" then get out and explore. Remember depending on the weather they'll be more active at diferent times in the day. I head out at 5:30 each morning, for the most part I see more bears that early and other days I wont see them till around 10. Put your hiking boots on and get out there. Please pick up after yourselves also, Squamish area forest is getting more and more disgusting from garbage each weekend

mungojeerie
06-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Please pick up after yourselves also, Squamish area forest is getting more and more disgusting from garbage each weekend

here here! That goes for anywhere out doors. I've noticed an increase in trash everywhere from popular family destinations to remote bush. Recently took a wack load of kids fishing at Rolly lake and filled our garbage bag with others litter in the first 5 minutes. I was disgusted to see such a dumping ground in the forest, a lot of it dangerous items for small kids too.

nolimits
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM

When I read originally about moose being in Elaho Valley I was really skeptical, but today, after seeing not one but 3 of them at once, I can assure you, that you heard right. That's right fellows, moose on the loose in Squamish.

TheProvider
05-27-2012, 11:41 AM
When I read originally about moose being in Elaho Valley I was really skeptical, but today, after seeing not one but 3 of them at once, I can assure you, that you heard right. That's right fellows, moose on the loose in Squamish.

Squamish has it all, I've ran into moose tracks before

magnumjeff
05-27-2012, 10:10 PM
watch out for the pack of wolves in the upper squamish valley

MFERGIE
05-28-2012, 02:43 PM
http://i1076.photobucket.chttp://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012001.jpgom/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012054.jpghttp://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/Squamish017.jpghttp://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/101.jpghttp://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/216.jpghttp://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/202.jpg[IMG]http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/DSC_0182.jpg

Squamish is full of critters, here are a few pics from the last couple years up and around the area including the sausage bear I took this spring. I have seen G bear tracks, wolf tracks and cougar sign but have yet to SEE or photo them!

MFERGIE
05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/202.jpg
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/DSC_0182.jpg
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012001.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012054.jpg

Casagrande
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
How about the story for the last photo?

nolimits
05-28-2012, 06:51 PM
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/202.jpg
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/DSC_0182.jpg
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012001.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mfergie84/SquamishMay152012054.jpg

All great pics. Thanks for sharing MFERGIE. I also have to agree with Casagrande- what's the story behind the last picture? C'mon now, don't let our imaginations go wild ;)

mbariesheff
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
New to the site, how about a joke?

MFERGIE
05-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks, the last photo is compliments of my awesome girlfriend, not only did she take some really great footage but was a trooper thru and thru helping me position him properly for field dressing and dragging him on a tarp back through the devils club and bug swarms! Not much of a story but was up checking my regular spots and seeing if any of my trail cams had picked up any action. We pull down the last trail cam plug it into the laptop back at the vehicle and no pictures once again. I have a stretch and look up to see this young boar feeding across the path 150yrds or so. Put the 30-06 behind his shoulder and watched him run thru the thick stuff after the shot. After some waiting time I walked to the place I had shot him and cut a straight path into the thick about 20yrds or so and he was laying on the opposite side of a large fallen cedar he had used to cross a narrow strip of water. Clean center mass lung shot in between ribs in and out, it always amazes me how tough blackies are. A special thanks to the two young guys in the white Chev that were up fishing for the day! I asked them for a quick helping hand getting my bear back across the water...the one time I leave my waders behind! These guys were a great example of comradery between outdoors enthusiasts hunters and fisherman alike, thanks again guys!

MFERGIE
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
New to the site, how about a joke?

Ive been on hbc for sometime now but have not been a frequent poster lol, guess there is no sneaking thru the cracks on the jokes around here hey lol.
I'm no Jerry Seinfeld but here goes...

Standing at the edge of the lake, a man saw a woman flailing about in the deep water. Unable to swim, the man screamed for help. A trout fisherman ran up. The man said, "My wife is drowning and I can't swim. Please save her. I'll give you a hundred dollars."

The fisherman dove into the water. In ten powerful strokes, he reached the woman, put his arm around her, and swam back to shore. Depositing her at the feet of the man, the fisherman said, "Okay, where's my hundred dollars?"
The man said, "Look, when I saw her going down for the third time, I thought it was my wife. But this is my mother-in-law."
The fisherman reached into his pocket and said, "Just my luck. How much do I owe you?"

nolimits
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Ive been on hbc for sometime now but have not been a frequent poster lol, guess there is no sneaking thru the cracks on the jokes around here hey lol.
I'm no Jerry Seinfeld but here goes...

Standing at the edge of the lake, a man saw a woman flailing about in the deep water. Unable to swim, the man screamed for help. A trout fisherman ran up. The man said, "My wife is drowning and I can't swim. Please save her. I'll give you a hundred dollars."

The fisherman dove into the water. In ten powerful strokes, he reached the woman, put his arm around her, and swam back to shore. Depositing her at the feet of the man, the fisherman said, "Okay, where's my hundred dollars?"

The man said, "Look, when I saw her going down for the third time, I thought it was my wife. But this is my mother-in-law."

The fisherman reached into his pocket and said, "Just my luck. How much do I owe you?"

Hahaha, good one.

TheProvider
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
good pics, definately a unigue pic of the boar

moose2
06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Nice pictures the bear looks like he has a good size head. Congratulations on a good one.
Mike

Deer_Slayer
02-22-2023, 06:44 PM
Not really a small population. 50-60 estimated to be up Squamish/Elaho area.

Deer_Slayer
03-31-2023, 04:21 PM
When you read "small population" take it as a good healthy population. Enviro kooks want you to believe they are scarce, when they are not. You have just as good a chance of bumping into a grizz as a black bear in most of BC.

walks with deer
03-31-2023, 09:47 PM
I was lucky enough to move to squamish pre 2010 it was a great experiance.. i love what it was...it has a speacil spot in my heart and life... but yes only insurance claim on a house was 09 a grizz on my first house broke alot downtown squam town..