PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing Pitt Meadows

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Right now the water in the marsh by Pitt Lake is a bit high and not so much biting anyone else fish here?

when the water is lower or when the males are protecting their spawning grounds fishing can be insane getting bites on everything. went there recently and only got one bite on a crayfish lure. nothing on worms or frogs.

Thinking of going again this weekend with my fly rod any suggestions for flies? never had much luck fly fishing there and I am new to fly fishing so that could be my problem. Was thinking foam froggy poppers and divers might work?

Weatherby Fan
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
HHmmm lived in Maple Ridge all my life and never known there to be any Bass in those waters,there's lots of Carp in most of the slough's and ditches in Pitt Polder.
Not to say they aren't there but I've never heard of it ?
Any other locals want to pitch in ?

Kudu
06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Nothing here for you!

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
HHmmm lived in Maple Ridge all my life and never known there to be any Bass in those waters,there's lots of Carp in most of the slough's and ditches in Pitt Polder.

I am not sure when but someone introduced largemouth bass you can find them in the marsh and I hear they can be find in Sturgeon slough as well

Barracuda
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Yup Bass in there and in silvermere. which the residents have blocked access to again and put up a floating dock saying its private when it isnt which is against the law. good fishing and if the residents harrass you call the police

Foxton Gundogs
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM

X2 BUT that being said I have been gone since the mid 70s I grew up hunting and fishing the polder the public shooting grounds at Pitt Lake and both Allouettes and never saw a bass if they are there they must have been introduced sometime after I left.

Foxton Gundogs
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I am not sure when but someone introduced largemouth bass you can find them in the marsh and I hear they can be find in Sturgeon slough as well

OOOPS shoulda read on before shooting my keyboard off *****

OOOPS(again) I forgot the edit cop doesnt like "laffing my fat ass off" so just plain LOL

Barracuda
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
i think they are all over the place now. wonder when the snakeheads will arrive:-|

Weatherby Fan
06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Used to fish St Marys lake on Saltspring for smallmouth bass,it was a riot haven't been in years,Ill have to dig out some of the old wooden lures and give these large mouth a go !

Bucks&Ducks
06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
It should be really good around this time of year because the bass are nesting and should be getting pretty agressive. maybe with the late/wet spring they are nesting later this year.

Good luck with the fish!

BigfishCanada
06-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Bass started showing up 5 years or so back for me up that area, local bass fisherman say they have always been around BS To that, fished that area since 9, now 40. Last year i was even catching bluegill, have photos to prove.

Again BASS dumbass society of BC, has zero respect from me. If anyone is caught illegally introducing non resident species, they should do JAIL time!

But on a happy note: Trout fishing kamloops was unreal last week!

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Bass started showing up 5 years or so back for me up that area, local bass fisherman say they have always been around BS To that, fished that area since 9, now 40. Last year i was even catching bluegill, have photos to prove.

Again BASS dumbass society of BC, has zero respect from me. If anyone is caught illegally introducing non resident species, they should do JAIL time!

But on a happy note: Trout fishing kamloops was unreal last week!

I once caught a weird looking fish in the marsh not sure what it was this fish had some sort of shiny bluish markings on it not sure what it was.

Just googled "bluegill" and the fish I caught had the same general shape

mjmbc
06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
could it have been a crappie theve been in hatzic lake for years

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
could it have been a crappie theve been in hatzic lake for years

I'm not sure if I catch one again I'll have to take a picture of it.

mjmbc
06-01-2011, 08:11 PM
thier not bad eating if ya catch em in the spring when the water is still cold

nolimits
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I am also very surprised that there is bass in LM area. I actually might put it on my "to do" list to go after them soon.

Ioneth
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I am also very surprised that there is bass in LM area. I actually might put it on my "to do" list to go after them soon.

Found this list of bass infested waters :) http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/86/Places.html

nolimits
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Found this list of bass infested waters :) http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/86/Places.html

Even better. Thanks for the link.

pmj
06-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Large mouth in lots of the marshes and sloughs of Pitt Meadows/Pitt Polder. My best is a 3 lb L-M from there. I find best fishing is when the water is warm like soup, in shallow water, 2-3 ft deep. In lillypads and other cover. I find July and early August the best. I have never caught any September to May.

Floating/surface lures that imitate struggling bait fish. Or skip tube baits across the surface through and on top of the lillypads at high speed. Colour and shape and action needs to imitate what ever they normally feed on.
It is like godzilla is after your bait when they start chasing it through the vegitation. They can scence the vibrations of the bait smacking the surface even if they are nowhere in sight.

I use minimum 15 lb test so when they hit and wrap around the vegitation I can crank them out. I fish them to protect the salmenoid species from these cannibals. They taste muddy so not much of a treat to eat. Wach out for waters requiring barbless hooks.

4pointer
06-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Yup there is bass up in the pitt polder. I've heard about them for years and saw my first one(caught by someone beside me) last year while I was out crappie fishing. Was a big guy too. Havent seen a blue gill yet....but lots of them just across the border. Bass and blue gill are the main species in the lakes that I fish across the border.

Ddog
06-02-2011, 06:16 AM
they should all be destroyed, they were illegally introduced by someone that has no respect for the eco system.
they have been there for quite some time now, i know of a few people that were killing them to try and get rid of the population before it gets out of control.

Big Lew
06-02-2011, 06:36 AM
For many generations it's been a battle trying to repair the damage caused by irresponsible, ignorant, and selfish individuals that introduce alien species to our waterways. Aggressive predator fishes like bass can all but wipe out native species, especially in small waters and streams. (I notice North Alouette is on the list, and it's been a protected waterway for rearing Steelhead for years) Just think of the tens of thousands of dollars, and the inconvenience of having to sterilize and re-store dozens of our lakes already.

GoatGuy
06-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Rotenone is my favorite bait for bass, works 12 months/year.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
http://stopstocking.cowyafs.org/outreach/reward%20poster.pdf

Up to a $20,000 reward for info leading to the arrest of illegal stocking of lakes.
IIRC used to be in the ~$2500 range

SSS

Ioneth
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I forget where I read it but some people are blaming the bass fishing clubs for spreading them. The least we can do is catch our quota every chance we get. My 6 year old loves it and my 3 year old asks to go fishing all the time but she mostly just wants to go outside and play lol

bsa30-06
06-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Gonna have to make my way out to pitt meadows and give this bass fishing a try.

urbanhermit
06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I love bass fishing and think they are an awesome fish in "their" environment. Fished them exclusively for 20 years in the okanagan, but I agree totally with huge illegal stocking fines!!! there is no room for that BS!!!!

Busterbrown
06-04-2011, 07:04 AM
We train our dogs out there regularly and have seen it first hand. A few months ago we were running some water blinds and a guy walks up all dressed up like a bassmaster TV star. I politely asked what he was fishing for and he said Bass, I suggested there were no bass in here as I have hunted and used the area for 30 years. He told me there was excellent bass fishing here. A few minutes later he yelled at me to come have a look. I could not believe what I saw. He has a largemouth bass approx 2.5-3 lbs. He continued to catch and release more than a dozen fish about the same size. He also claimed there are some 5- 7 lbers deep in the marsh. Believe it folks they are there. Just a matter of time untill they get established in the Fraser and Pitt rivers

BCLongshot
06-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Yup Bass in there and in silvermere. which the residents have blocked access to again and put up a floating dock saying its private when it isnt which is against the law. good fishing and if the residents harrass you call the police

I love it when people want a private lake without paying the big money.

If they want a private lake in the Fraser Valley pay the money and stop being a poor wannabe !

Big Lew
06-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Actually, the residents have a lot of Gaul suggesting it's their private lake, when not too long ago, Genstar, who has shown in court that they own the lake, was refusing to let them use the lake themselves, threatening to make them remove their wharves etc. (sorry for straying off topic)

Barracuda
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
actually the lake water isnt owned by genstar (talked to them just a huge amount of lake front). The access they have no control over is provincial land yet the residents keep blocking it and the city says it isnt a priority and they wont deal with it. the docks built and floating have no permits and really the residents should be fined for impeding access. if its a navigable water with public access at any point it is fair game

SHAKER
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
i think they are all over the place now. wonder when the snakeheads will arrive:-|

Bass are one thing but snakeheads.......... NOT GOOD!
I had a Red line Snakehead for a pet for many years and they are really nasty! At 12" he managed to jump and grab my thumb sliceing right threw my thumb nail and requiring several stitches in the meat side. At 20" he grabed the house cat (my pre hound dog days) by the face and drug her into the tank causing serious wounds that I was not paying a vet to fix. At 27" he was eating 100 large feeder gold fish at a time (under 2 minutes to consume all) or those 10" rainbows that the fisheries people were nice enough to stock in Mill lake every 3rd day. A serious eating machine and would kill other fish just for the fun of it. It killed a 24" Tiger Shovelnose catfish just because he could. WE DON'T WANT THEM HEAR! fortunatly I don't think they could survive our climate though, I lost mine to a power outage when the tank temperature dropped.

Ioneth
06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Went out there this weekend didn't catch anything. We did get a few bites. Next time we will take a boat instead of fishing from the shore.

Seen a big black bear running around in a farmers field, the kids liked that

Fishgutz
06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I live 10 mins away from there and it looks like I'm gonna have to load up a kayak and go exploring.

pmj
06-06-2011, 11:17 PM
I was shocked when they put a limit on large mouth in Region 2 about 4 years ago. There was no limit and I would harvest as many of the pests as I could. Then they limited it to 4. What the ****! I wonder who was it with $$ and fancy boats lobbied them :roll: . I would like them classified as non game fish in region 2. That would be a start on saving some salmenoids.