PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Success!! Part 2

Big G Hunter
05-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Well my buddy and I, hunted pretty hard over the long weekend of May to no success. We were hampered a bit, by the amount if snow still in the area, but we did see some nice animals, and some real good Grizzly sign. Some tracks of a probable 8 footer. 16 hrs a day hunting makes for some very LONG days. Saw a lot of blackys and moose and one sow and cub grizzly on sunday mid morning. After that I came home sick, and shivered and shook for the next 2 days.

This weekend brought a whole new set of hopes and dreams.

It started with me picking up Allykatt at oh so early in the morning in Horsefly, to head on out to our area. Allykatt has already filled his tag with a nice silvertip, so the ribbing has been non stop for the past 2 weeks.
As we driving up the road we spotted our first bear at 4:15am, looked a little funny for a black bear with a kinda brown body with blond hair on the arse. Maybe a Grizzly? We were about 300yards away and the light was still a bit dull. About another km up the road we saw another much bigger brownie looking bear cross the road if front of us. (both were coming from the river) We decided to stop and look for some tracks to see what kinda of bear it was. Another 50 meters up the road we drove when we finally spotted part of a bear.

As we stopped and got out my buddy says "you here that?" holey shit, it was another bear shaking an aspen tree and growling and just generally pissed off about 60 yards up the hill. At this point I decided to take a step Behind the truck. At this point, the bear we stopped to see, shows himself and it's a Grizz. A nice Big, Looking not to happy, and coming towards us Grizz. As he turns broadside, I let fly with the trusty 30-06 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from 66 yards away. First shot hits left shoulder and exits behind right shoulder. 2nd shot thru engine room.YES GRIZZLY DOWN!!!!!!!!!

At this point we decide to drive up the road and leave him for a bit. Then we notice 3 sets of Grizz tracks coming down the road all walking side by side. 20min later when we get back to my bear,we see another boar coming out of the timber not 30yards from where I shot mine, and just start trucking down the road towards the very first bear we saw. Hmmm this creates a weird set of problems. Don't really want to cape the bear here with his friend around so we'll load and go.http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/Onquad.jpg

After we get him loaded, we move on down the road where we can cape him out and take pics. http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/Pose.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/HoldingHead.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/SpreadEagle.jpg

He measured in at 7ft 6in long. No rub marks on him and 2 inches of fat. But what was a cool thing that I noticed on the bears face was bite marks from the same morning. Now would that be from fighting with the other boar over that possible Grizz sow we saw?http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/BiteMarks.jpg

After 15 years of putting in for Grizz it finally paid off.
Thanks SRUPP for all the helpfull hints and tips.

moose2
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Great looking bear I love the colors, sounds like a quick hunt congratulations on a nice trophy . Was the one chewing on him the same size.
Mike

mpotzold
05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Great looking bear I love the colors, sounds like a quick hunt congratulations on a nice trophy . Was the one chewing on him the same size.
Mike

You stole my words!:)

Congrats.
A wise decision in having a partner along when hunting those dangerous beasts!
I’m a firm believer in Steven’s advice-shoulders first to immobilize the animal with a quick follow-up shot to the boiler room.
I also use 300 gr. TBBC (HE) in my 375 .
A great bullet for penetrating especially bone.(close to 100% weight retention)

srupp
06-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Well DONE !!! Very nice bear...(we should talk..about the bite marks..lol....) you have completed what most guys dream of...very impressive grizzly head...love the color on the face..and the scars will just add character..

You asked some VERY pertinent questions and listed well..and the success is there...sorry for repeating everything so many times...I do have some specific reasons for everything I "suggest" in G bear hunting..it INDEED is the path that makes the success..details details details...so NOW what do you think of bullet importance?? and shot placement?? lol sure makes it different actually being in the situation...Justin Ott mentioned the same thing..go over the game plan time after time after time..ask the questions BEFORE the situation arrives so you KNOW what you need to do.. as " automatically" as can be achieved on your first go..

It was indeed my pleasure to chat with you on the phone..and go through your questions..and to see your determaination, persitence and willingness to ask..there are no dumb questions...

I would love a copy of the bear and you?? Maybe we can do a coffee at Tims when I get home from Sheridan lake??

Once again CONGRADULATIONS...GREAT MOUNTAIN BEAR with character to boot...

cheers Steven

coach
06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Great job! Congratulations. I'm heading out in the morning for a five day Grizzly hunt. Hoping to have a little success of my own.

srupp
06-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Good luck coach..straight shooting and take care...

cheers

Steven

coach
06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks, Steven!

TSW
06-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Beautiful color on that bear!! I love the light to dark contrast. Congrats

hunter1947
06-01-2011, 02:15 AM
The part two on your Griz hunt went well for you you scored ,very well done congrats to you and your friend..

moose2
06-01-2011, 07:13 AM
That will make a great looking rug have you had a chance to measure the skull yet. Great pictures and story thanks for posting.
Mike

Mik
06-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Great looking Grizz, Congrats

demlake
06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the pics and the story.

Great-looking bear.

nolimits
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the bear.

bighornbob
06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Hmmm this creates a weird set of problems. Don't really want to cape the bear here with his friend around so we'll load and go.http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z393/BigIGHunter/Onquad.jpg

No rub marks on him.

Other then the ones from you guys dragging him behind a quad??:):)

BHB

KodiakHntr
06-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Other then the ones from you guys dragging him behind a quad??:):)

BHB

Glad I weren't the only one to cringe looking at that pic...

I've skinned more than one bear with a rifle slung in front of my chest, and a flashlight in my teeth while there's another one in the bushes popping teeth and angry you've murdered her boyfriend.

Deer_Slayer
06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Very nice. I just got back from 4-34 and got skunked. Took a nice blacky and did see one good Grizz but still too much snow to get up into most slides. Congrats

crassul
06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Great pictures, great story. Thanks for sharing