PDA

View Full Version : Red Mountain in the caribou, been there ?

killer_shot
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I was thinking of taking the summer to explore some new back country and i was wondering if anyone has been to red mountain in the caribou. Its located north of lilloet west of big bar in the coastal mountains.
If anyone has any experience or knows the area please share, curious of access and what there is to see if anything.

bcfirefly
06-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Are talking about Big Creek / Taseko Lakes area? If so real nice country. We go in via horseback to the Dill Dill Plateau area for Moose. Had good luck throughout the years but skunked last year. We accessed the area from Goldbridge in through Spruce Lake

frenchbar
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Are talking about Big Creek / Taseko Lakes area? If so real nice country. We go in via horseback to the Dill Dill Plateau area for Moose. Had good luck throughout the years but skunked last year. We accessed the area from Goldbridge in through Spruce Lakehes talking about red mnt .just north east of poison mnt ..buck mnt .

frenchbar
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
havent been up there in yrs its basicaly rock and gravel ..not sure what the rds like into it .. may be a few sheep around ..not much else ..good scenery tho .

frenchbar
06-01-2011, 09:44 AM
french mnt is right beside red and blackdome just north of them...do the trip its worth it .should see some muleys runninng around as well .

killer_shot
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
hes talking about red mnt .just north east of poison mnt ..buck mnt .

thats the one, ive been told that sheep summer in there. Would like to get some good footage of some sheep the warm months. frenchbar you any idea about them congregating out there at all in the summer.

frenchbar
06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
thats the one, ive been told that sheep summer in there. Would like to get some good footage of some sheep the warm months. frenchbar you any idea about them congregating out there at all in the summer.

im a way out of touch with that area and sheep populations there.

uraarchr
06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
went in the fall with my cousin prob 20 years ago on quads.Taseko lakes are nice.i think after you pass the "no motorized veh for hunting" sign on the left after a little ways we saw sheep.then theres a cool old mine on left i think around veh restr area sign and you hike up.we went in right up to red mntn.we crawled up the snowpack?or glacier?I think it was a glacier.on our knees.our jeans were our traction cause we had no crampons.pretty neat area.lots of huge dead salmons on the shore of taseko lake.definitely worth the ride even if not hunting.never forget that trip.my first overnight trip on quad i think about 70 km each way.