PDA

View Full Version : Muleys and Moose, Regions 3 and 5 What have you seen?

Jelvis
08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
deleted---------------

cariboo_kid
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
We've got pelicans and sandhill cranes in the hwy 24 area, maybe you saw one of them. Was it reddish brown (crane) perhaps, or bluish gray (pelican)?

Jelvis
08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
--------------------------

ryanb
08-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Snow-goose? But I doubt you'd be seeing them this time of year...

shortroot
08-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Sandhill crane is most likely what you seen.

dana
08-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Jelvis,
Are you sure you're not a fisherman as you sure have been fishin' for info on here lately.

Here's some pics of a decent buck I was able to locate in one of my Region 3 hidey holes. There has been a ton of mining activity in the area and I thought that would be pushing the bucks around but I managed to find this guy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12016.jpg

dana
08-18-2006, 08:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12012.jpg

mrdoog
08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Nice Buck.
I like the high areas around Spruce Lake over to the Bonaparte.
Seen him, but haven't bagged one over 4 points yet.

Jelvis
08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
-------------------------------

dana
08-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Jelvis,
To be honest with ya this buck is a dink. He'll go around 185 but he's nothing compared to the buck that was hanging out with him. That buck had about the same mainframe except had better width and he had 2 big inlines that had him pushing the 200 inch mark as a 5x5.8-)
How do I find these bucks? Lots of lung burning climbs at 3am with the headlamp on so I can be above timberline by 5. You ain't going to see much if you are leaving at 8. All the big boys have bedded for the day by then.:lol:

Will
08-18-2006, 09:41 PM
How do I find these bucks? Lots of lung burning climbs at 3am with the headlamp on so I can be above timberline by 5. You ain't going to see much if you are leaving at 8. All the big boys have bedded for the day by then.
You're Dam hard fella to follow in the dark too...........:mad:
:lol: :lol:
Nice Buck Pics 8)

dana
08-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I once had a Lada car that the tail lights would shut off when you clicked on the highbeams. I figured it was the Russian's way to get away from the KGB. I've learned from them and all my vehicles have been wired the same since then. :)

Brambles
08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Nice buck Steve, where are the pictures of the bigger ones??? I'd probably shoot him given the chance. I want to work my way up to the big boys, I don't want to shoot a hog this soon;)

I can't believe you admited to owning a Lada:lol:
You realize that Dodge is the best don't you???

GoatGuy
08-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Jelvis,
Are you sure you're not a fisherman as you sure have been fishin' for info on here lately.

Here's some pics of a decent buck I was able to locate in one of my Region 3 hidey holes. There has been a ton of mining activity in the area and I thought that would be pushing the bucks around but I managed to find this guy.

Glad somebody's been out scouting. Wondering if you were still alive - no pics lately.

I'm hooped for the first week of alpine this year so I'll be checking in , staring at high country pictures.

dana
08-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Goatguy,
Me, dead? You probably would have read about it in the newpapers or on the internet. :) :) Of course I've been out scouting. What else would I be doing? Yard Work? Naw, that's too boring. Would much rather sit freezing in a blizzard glassin for 2 min segaments as the fog lifts. :) Been some crazyass weather this summer. 40 degress one week, snow the next. But way more exciting that pushing a lawn mower.:lol:

dana
08-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Brambles,
Olga was one of the best bush rigs I've ever had. She was always faithful. I remember getting way up in the highcountry above Peachland one year and killing a nice buck. Drug it down to the car and threw it in the backseat. The big 4x4's I encountered on the way out almost went in the ditch when they saw that buck in the back. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0011.jpg

Brambles
08-19-2006, 01:12 PM
:lol: Great Photo Steve, I gotta respect the load your Lada has on and your inugenuity. You didn't mention it was a Racing Lada, Lunati and Holley stickers, totally pimped out eh. Where is the picture with the big buck in the back??

But Dodge is still the best
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0439_edited.jpg

And my other truck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0644.jpg

BCrams
08-19-2006, 01:13 PM
My rig is only slightly better than that little car up there.....

I have no shame with what I drive for hunting :)

Hank Hunter
08-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I like the Lada, oh and nice pics

dana
08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Brambles,
The size and the cost don't impress me. You do realize you don't need a big pig like that to kill a big buck eh? It's the backpack that is important, not the rig that brings the loaded backpack home.
http://www.eberlestock.com/RealATVT.jpg

http://www.eberlestock.com/OutHeavyT.jpg

BCrams
08-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Thats right brambles....

Can't beat the rigs we use for hunting. Outperform the Dodge any day.

ratherbefishin
08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I know one guy who had a Lada 4x4 and said it was ok, too.He wasn't afraid to bash it around logging roads.

TravisC
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Just gotta new truck wish it were a dodge, but its a ford. CRAP.:sad:
anyways had a chev cavalier :razz:and it went more places then a lot of 4x4's did. Got my biggest blacktail in it and had to stuff it in the trunk. what a chore getting it out rigor mortis man . The pic of the rack and skull is in my folder:biggrin: and my wife cut up my pic of it in the trunk. Anyways hows the scouting going in region 5 this year got a couple draws for their this year.:?:

Brambles
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Brambles,
The size and the cost don't impress me. You do realize you don't need a big pig like that to kill a big buck eh? It's the backpack that is important, not the rig that brings the loaded backpack home.

It's all about NEEDS and WANTS, no I don't NEED a big diesel truck, but I WANTED one. I know you don't NEED a big truck to kill a big buck but I WANTED one. Just because I have a crew cab truck doesn't mean that I'm not willing to throw a pack on and head out. Trust me when I was shopping for the truck it wasn't a toss up between a new packframe or a new pickup. The cost of a packframe is insignificant:cool:

What can I say I like my toys!!! Sure gets great mileage, so its not really a pig per say. Just a truck that can pack all the gear and hunting buddies you need and pull a big ass trailer and haul massive amounts of meat all at the same time while getting great fuel economy, you know, its the little things that count.:-D

Don't worry I still have more Packs than I can use, I'm pretty sure I have 2 of everything now. I'm actually looking at a few different types of packs but I haven't decided which one suits me the best yet.
What I need it to have a yard sale, my basement is looking like a surplus store.

As you know Steve I like to travel and hunt different species around the province and even a few different provinces and this truck lets me do that. I'm not afraid to spend a little extra money to get what I want, and
Dodge w/ Cummins Diesel is what I wanted AARRGGGGHHH;)

Oh and Steve don't tell me that SIZE doesn't impress you, always talkin about loaded packs, gruleing lung burning hikes and 240" mulies and your telling me that size doesn't matter. Come on, stop with the B.S.:biggrin:

Brambles

Brambles
08-22-2006, 09:03 PM
anyways had a chev cavalier :razz:and it went more places then a lot of 4x4's did. Got my biggest blacktail in it and had to stuff it in the trunk. what a chore getting it out rigor mortis man .

I have shot a few animals while hunting out of car, one spot and stalk black bear and one pretty good still hunt whitetail. Definitly not my perferred method of travel but it will do in a pinch..

dana
08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Brambles,
Having a pack (or several packs) is one thing, using it until it wears out is something completely different. I just wore out my ol' Gregory. 20 years of abuse. That is value. If it could talk, man what stories it could tell. I'm sure your truck there will be long long gone by the time my new Eberlistock wears out. I am vowing to put it's lifetime gaurentee to the test. ;)

Brambles
08-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Dana, you try and make it sound like your the only one who puts on a pack to hunt:lol:

I don't know if comparing a truck to a pack is a an equal comparison;-) Two totally different beast, but I bet your pack won't have the miles my truck will have on it when if finally packs it in or have carried as much weigh. Cummins lasts forever..

How do you like your Just one pack? Have you put it to the test with some serious weight? That was one of the packs I was looking at, I was also considering the Mossback bounty hunter made by Blacks Creek guide gear. The kifaru is just too overpriced IMO

dana
08-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Brambles,
Got the J105 Just One only a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had it loaded down heavy yet. I've had it out scouting and it feels great as a daypack. I'm sure I'll put it too the test more than once this upcoming season. Hopefully with the monster grizz I've got tied up.8-)

Brambles
08-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Brambles,
Got the J105 Just One only a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had it loaded down heavy yet. I've had it out scouting and it feels great as a daypack. I'm sure I'll put it too the test more than once this upcoming season. Hopefully with the monster grizz I've got tied up.8-)

I wouldn't mind hearing your review of your pack when you have had a chance to load it up, have you fitted your rifle in the scabbard yet?

dana
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Rifle fits awesome. Can't even feel it's there. It comes out of the scabbard very very fast too. Don't think I'll be carrying the rifle much on my shoulder any more.

Jelvis
09-24-2006, 01:09 PM
-------------------------

Jelvis
07-26-2009, 03:32 PM

gamer
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Wednesday of last week in 3-13 I saw 10 ruffies,lotsa deer tracks ,but, no deer as it was very hot and caught 8 trout.

Jelvis
07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
------------------------------

cariboobill
07-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I Still have a large Mulie I have been chasing for the past two years alive here in Region 5. I am hoping this is my year to get him. I think he will score in the high 170's to mid 180's based on his antler growth so far this year. He lives on private land and is pretty safe from humans, although the Wolves here are getting more populated. Got his brother last year and he scored 165 with 4 broken tines. That is a good score for this part of Region 5.

groove
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Spotted a huge moose in 5-1 last week. Just my 2 cents!

Jelvis
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
-------------------------------

Jelvis
12-01-2009, 11:09 PM

showtimebc
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
been seeing about 30+ deer just about every outing since mid october...

yesterday, had a brute of a buck 60 yards away trailing a doe through the thick brush. Then another doe pinned us, came closer to check us out, and blew our chance at the buck. will be back at it tommorrow!

Jelvis
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Jelvis
09-03-2010, 10:12 PM
--------------------------

shadowhunter
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Dont have any pics but around bonapart area near hammer lake there saw 2 fork horns feeding off the side off the logging road and then a beaut 5 point up past the trail on the west side of hammer lake. also say a calf moose feeding the edge of the highway near birch lake by lac deds roches. and ive seen a couple of deer at deer lake in 3-39 and some moose tracks.

Jelvis
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM

#1fishslayer
09-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Driving to williams lake I looked over and saw a coyote, I saw the dog and my family saw the buck he was sneeking up on. I didnt even see the deer lol.

Jelvis
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
-----------------------------

groove
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Well Jel, saw a beauty of a mulie buck in 3-39 last week. Probably the nicest I've seen. Standing by the road with a little spiker.

knighthunter
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Light colored, 5 foot wing span, looked pre historic lookin a bit, landed on the ground in the bush on a grassy area and flew made trumpeting kinda sounds never seen them before saw about 4 that day 3 the next. long necks, longer than goose, looked kinda like a pea cock in shape on the ground, not blue tho, I really don't know for sure, some one said sandhill crane maybe, what do you think? Thanks anyway.

Sandhill crane.

deer nut
09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I am guessing the birds you saw were Trumpeter swans? I have had some very cool experiences with them while out in the backwoods - sounds like Chuck Mangione serenading you when they fly over talking to each other. Very eerie sounding. Stum Lake is a breeding ground for White Pelicans but that's in the Cariboo so......

I am loving the stories guys - keep 'em coming. I head North in a week to pursue elk & can hardly wait!Hope my marriage survives my obsession!!!

oldtimer
09-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Sound like Sandhill cranes.
Saw 5 mulies on two mile flat, 3 at the airport and 2 at the redi mix plant by the ball fields. :) haven't been out in the bush yet. :( Mike

mgnm300
09-13-2010, 06:22 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC6028014.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20322&size=big&cat=501)

saw this guy around bolean lake last week. we also managed to see a total 14 bucks but everyone of them were 2 pts. one nice blacky and a few does some with fawns. this bull turned out to be the same one i got a pic of last yr. he was a ten pt last yr and is only an eight this yr. guess no one has a limited entry tag for 3-26.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC4470010.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15174&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1052&sl=m)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC4460001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15176&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1052&sl=m)

what do you think? same bull or am i wrong?

roblikestohunt
09-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Drove up to watching creek, inskip lake late yesterday afternoon, saw 2 deer on the way up, not shootable,3 grouse basking on the side of the road, fished the lake till dark, lots of bites, but nothing to bring home, Left after a small fire and some hot dogs, coming back to the loops around 9pm when i left the lake, At the bottom of watching creek fsr saw a fairly large black bear off to the side, 27km mark saw 2 does, 9 km mark one more doe, Thats it thats all!!

Dirty Steve
09-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Spent opening weekend at Pratt Lake, 3-20. I couldn't believe the moose! 5 cows, 1 calf all within about 2 kms of each other. Probably saw 40 does and fawns but nothing with horns. Also hung out with two lynx for 10 mins. Tried to get into Blackwell Lk on the quads, what a trail! Didn't quite make it.

Jelvis
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM

born2hunt
09-21-2010, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Jelvis;750109]2 mule deer bucks seen at Logan Lake early today, two four points.
Guess where? On the rcmp office lawn at 4-30 in the marnin.
Jel .. lol .. crazy eh? LacLajaune good spot for moose and Pinantan Lake area for big bucks, up Rockface Mt. and in behind for monster bucks.
Go in on the Hale - Vinnie road and hunt up to Rockface Mt. MU 3-27 Biggest bucks around ..[/QUOTe

you sure seem to know where they live ! but you aint shot nothing but bullshit

Jelvis
09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
----------------------------------

Mr. Dean
09-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I just got back from a little scout mission [reg 3] ----------> FOUND 4, SPIKE MOOSE!!

Gonna tag up and go back. :mrgreen: