PDA

View Full Version : Halfway/Farrel Creek Elk help

moosinaround
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
So, I have ventured up in the Halfway Farrel Creek areas many moons ago. I was wondering how the elk populations are fairing up there? I have been going to the Del Rio the last few years and it is getting WAY too heavily used, by all resource users! Going up there is like a freakin gong show!! The Halfway/Farrel Creek area has always intrigued me and was thinking of heading up to try my luck on the elk. Is the bridge that connects Farrel Creek and the Halfway still there? Is it useable? How has the moose pops looked like up there? There was a pretty good Pop. back when I was last there in '99. Anyways Thanks in advance for any info.

Moosin

sneg
05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi Moosing,

I was there last year during early oct-moose off season. Quite bit of moose moving around.Elk was on rancher land close to hwy.Nothing worth of effort. New Bridge was there (if I understood it correctly which one).Place was busy with hunters as well.None we talked to have seen any elk.

bwhnter
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
if you want to go to a really busy oil and gas area hit the Farrel this fall Arc energy has started to drill on the farrel as well as talisman who has plans to do some more major shale gas play.

moosinaround
05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
if you want to go to a really busy oil and gas area hit the Farrel this fall Arc energy has started to drill on the farrel as well as talisman who has plans to do some more major shale gas play.
Dam them!! I am trying to get away from them without renting wings or flippers!! Moosin

Darksith
05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Dam them!! I am trying to get away from them without renting wings or flippers!! Moosin

I hear ya, long gone are the days of getting away from the crowds easily....its rather sad honestly

hunter1947
06-01-2011, 02:28 AM
2004 I took my quad to the north slops of butler ridge mid range then got off the quad and hiked up the ridge saw a hand full of elk up on the ridge no moose up there I never saw another hunter ,mind you this was on the 18th of Aug..

Mountain Hunter
06-03-2011, 08:08 AM

Here's a pic from last week, they are going great guns there now.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Farrel_area.jpg

sneg
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Here's a pic from last week, they are going great guns there now.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Farrel_area.jpg

nice pic. it s massive stuff going down there. some roads look like hwy.do not stop if you do not want to be hit by semi, seems those guys never slow down.amount of dust is incredible. on other hand there are lot of abandoned roads to explore.