PDA

View Full Version : Redfern-Keily access to 7-42A

sneg
05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
I m considering fall hunt in way of Redfern -Keily park for moose and wonder how practical is access from this area to 7-42A. Would like to try elk and rest of it there. Seems there are some trails, no motorized vehicles. Are horses ok ? What about hiking ? Is it reasonable route for packing stuff in and out ?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Sneg

jml11
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM
You can access Redfern Lake, Besa River and Nevis Valley by Quad. Good trail in from the Buckinghorse River along hte Alaska Highway. Plenty of horse trails to go around, Outfitter has a camp at the confluence of Keily Creek and the Besa River.

Darksith
05-31-2011, 07:38 AM
I was informed that that area was fly in only, I could be wrong but I don't think that the redfern trails take you north like you are hopin.

jml11
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I was informed that that area was fly in only, I could be wrong but I don't think that the redfern trails take you north like you are hopin.

Only by horseback or on foot...The ATV trail runs east to west through the Nevis Valley right to Redfern Lake, there are no spurs 'north'. There are a few airstrips scattered around the area.

sneg
05-31-2011, 09:35 AM
I guess hike north to 7-42A must go via steep terrain ? No so good for hauling meat and stuff. Probably due to low hunting pressure hunt suppose to be good. Anyone been that side recent years ?

bridger
05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
keily creek is hard to hunt on foot due to virtually no access. also upper keily creek is as rugged as it gets in bc. lots of other places to hunt that would be easier and more elk. good luck

Fisher-Dude
05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
keily creek is hard to hunt on foot due to virtually no access. also upper keily creek is as rugged as it gets in bc. lots of other places to hunt that would be easier and more elk. good luck

Agreed. I floated the Besa past Keily, and it's all uphill from the river! Better right off the Besa below the quad bridge, further north to Keily it gets steeper and narrower.

sneg
05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for comments. Appreciated. after all combo idea does not seem that exiting. What about 7-49 part ,which border to 7-42 in way of Propher river ? Does it hold any elk or it is all up by river.

Darksith
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
bridger, your pm storage is full fyi

elkdom
05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for comments. Appreciated. after all combo idea does not seem that exiting. What about 7-49 part ,which border to 7-42 in way of Propher river ? Does it hold any elk or it is all up by river.

there is pockets of elk all the way from Ft St John to Ft Nelson, in many places there is very good elk hunting and you only have to be 400 meters from the center-line of the Alaska hwy in order to lawfully shoot/hunt, there is big misconception you have to get way the hell up in the high country, many miles and many hours of difficult travel into back country to have a good elk hunt,
making logistics of meat recovery difficult in warm weather,,,

sneg
05-31-2011, 04:28 PM
there is pockets of elk all the way from Ft St John to Ft Nelson, in many places there is very good elk hunting and you only have to be 400 meters from the center-line of the Alaska hwy in order to lawfully shoot/hunt, there is big misconception you have to get way the hell up in the high country, many miles and many hours of difficult travel into back country to have a good elk hunt,
eldom,
thanks for your good insight as always. we do not have issues with meat handling. typically carry good deep freezer and generator to keep meat cool than hang it on meat pole when weather is cooler.
there are lot of places good for moose . I m trying to get to new place which would hold both moose and elk,so people can try both hunts. You absolutely right about elk being in pockets. Not thinking to go deep far into the wodds,just trying to get out of crowds and have some fare chase hunt instead of crazy zoo road hunt.
thanks for advise
sneg

hunter1947
06-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Mile 178 was the turn off from the Alaska highway when we used to head into redfern lake back in the late 60ties I heard that the oil company put a new oil rig in about 10 years ago on this road about 12 miles in on the same seismic road we took back then....

sneg
06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Mile 178 was the turn off from the Alaska highway when we used to head into redfern lake back in the late 60ties I heard that the oil company put a new oil rig in about 10 years ago on this road about 12 miles in on the same seismic road we took back then....

Thanks hunter1947. It is part of Muskwa-kechika management area now. I think oil activities limited to that rig close to hwy only. In your time , were caribou at same areas as moose or in dinstance on ridges ? I wonder are those residential caribou or those migrating over mountains.

Fisher-Dude
06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

True enough. We killed 2 great bulls in 4 days of hunting, and could walk to the highway in 15 - 20 minutes from both kill sites. ;)

On the other hand, the 18 day adventure I had rafting the Besa and Prophet was pretty cool too, although harvest was 1/2 that of the above mentioned trip.

hunter1947
06-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks hunter1947. It is part of Muskwa-kechika management area now. I think oil activities limited to that rig close to hwy only. In your time , were caribou at same areas as moose or in dinstance on ridges ? I wonder are those residential caribou or those migrating over mountains.

Back in the days we went into this area at the end of Oct there where caribou traveling in herds up to 50 at times they where traveling up through the valley past the guide camp just past the Nevis river drainage ,there where no elk in this area back in the late 60ties the elk population started up further on the Alaska highway ,this area still hold fair to very good hunting for all if you put some effort into all ,PS we camped just past the two little lake on the left side of the seismic rd about 10 miles past the guide camp and about 12 miles before you get to Redfern lake if you have a map book you can see the two Little lakes or google this place you will see at mile 178 my ohmmeter on my new 1972 pick up truck read 56 miles to our camp ,here are a few pictures from this area back in the day..

Just coming back out onto the Alaska highway at mile 178 from where we hunted 56 miles in pictures taken 39 years ago..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File2.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

3 moose in my 1972 Ford truck ready to head out..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File21.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Our camp year 1972..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File5.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Nevis creek was not frozen on the way in but was a different story on the way out picture tells all.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File6.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

It just seamed like yesterday brings back old memories from back in the days..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File7.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

John P
06-02-2011, 05:27 AM
those are great pics

boxhitch
06-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Great old pics Wayne. From the pre-quad era

Fisher-Dude
06-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Some good memories there Wayne. Thanks for posting, more if you have them please!

Call of the Wild
06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
That's just awesome pictures, just put the chains on and go hunting.

sneg
06-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Great pictures, Wayne. Thanks for sharing.Must be lost of memories for you in that area.
You had solid set back then,good camp.

sarg
06-02-2011, 07:59 AM
love that old ford great pic,

hunter1947
06-02-2011, 08:57 AM
New I payed 5 grand for this 1972 Ford truck back then and that was tax included F250 4x4 360 big block standard with two extra 16 gallon tanks with an 8 thousand warn electric winch and the bumper ,man O man it seamed like yesterday

Buck
06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Yep i loved those Ford Highboys you had the rig back in those days .Great pics Thanks

elkdom
06-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Caribou inhabit many of the same swamps and meadows as moose and elk , Caribou road kills are very common along the Alaska Hwy corridor, as well as moose and other big game all year long, all seasons

as for Industry being excluded from the Muskwa-Kechika Management Zone ? your dreaming if you believe that is true !

sneg
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Caribou inhabit many of the same swamps and meadows as moose and elk , Caribou road kills are very common along the Alaska Hwy corridor, as well as moose and other big game all year long, all seasons

as for Industry being excluded from the Muskwa-Kechika Management Zone ? your dreaming if you believe that is true !

Probably I m dreaming. Can not understand than- how it works if road only for ATV (400 m) and ?? plus all oil industry stuff. ??? I m here in LM watching TV where they all about management and how access by helicopters only to reduce impact. I was under impression there was not much activity there. Well , Im not against anything, as long as it balanced. We need jobs and we need hunting opportunities and we need unspoiled nature.

hillclimber
06-02-2011, 01:25 PM
AWESOME PICTURES WAYNE!!! You should start your own thread with the vintage pictures!

Gateholio
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I wish they still made trucks like that. :)

hunter1947
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

You have this right Clark the old points and condenser thing no pollution stuff at all back then ,thats when you could fix a problem thing with out having to put the mill on a scanner to find a problem :wink:..

goatdancer
06-02-2011, 03:58 PM

The only drawback was the horrible fuel economy on those 360s.

hillclimber
06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
The only drawback was the horrible fuel economy on those 360s.

and the 400's and 460's:mrgreen:

like someone said they don't make em like they used to but at least you can still buy them!!

elkdom
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Probably I m dreaming. Can not understand than- how it works if road only for ATV (400 m) and ?? plus all oil industry stuff. ??? I m here in LM watching TV where they all about management and how access by helicopters only to reduce impact. I was under impression there was not much activity there. Well , Im not against anything, as long as it balanced. We need jobs and we need hunting opportunities and we need unspoiled nature.

there many industrial roads, with all kinds of oil rig, mining, logging traffic,with extreme heavy units hauling all assortment of machinery, many of these roads are not open to (private licensed vehicles for public use)
I drive some of these privates roads in protected areas, for work purpose, yet I myself cannot use the same road for private recreational use,

it is what is,,,,,,,,,, hypocrisy at a Provincial level

moose2
06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
It just seamed like yesterday brings back old memories from back in the days..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/File7.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)[/QUOTE]

I shot my first caribou near the same spot Wayne on Oct 1 about 20 years ago , before it was a park . You could quad right to the alpine in a few spots around impa lake. Caribou #s were good then it was open for 5 pnts on top , but the time of year they were open made the 2 we got unedible. How were the ones you got , are's were bad enough I would remember that for 39 years lol
Mike

hunter1947
06-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Mike I don't like bou meat and these where the first and last caribou that we took I myself could have taken some very nice bulls back then but I always have been a firm believer that I shoot what I eat and if I don't eat it the animal will live to see the next day..

sneg
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Mike I don't like bou meat and these where the first and last caribou that we took I myself could have taken some very nice bulls back then but I always have been a firm believer that I shoot what I eat and if I don't eat it the animal will live to see the next day..

nice looking pair of animals for sure.hope caribou still around.
personally I do not like some game meat,but there is always someone who does and is happy for free meat.Even friends and family memebers have different taste.
... may be not so.. i shot coyotes and no one want to eat it.LOL

lunatic
06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
and the 400's and 460's:mrgreen:

like someone said they don't make em like they used to but at least you can still buy them!!

Yes, the 460 is a PIG on fuel. I converted this one of mine to propane about 25 years ago when it was 6 cents/litre.

hillclimber
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
lunatic that thing looks absolutely fantastic. not a ford guy myself but i've gotta a little sweet spot for the 70's fords

lunatic
06-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Hillclimber. It has been a lot of work but very rewarding. I bought that truck when I was a teenager and it was my work/hunting beater for many years. Used it to drive to the oilrigs for about 13 years until I finally bought a new one and decided to rebuild it. Doesn't leave the pavement now. It has had the finishing touches done since that picture with new bumpers, rollbar, and interior. Was still in the garage yesterday though.......too much snow!