PDA

View Full Version : what are you doing with your BEAR MEAT?????

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Just curious as to what you all do with your bear meat and where do you get it processed.

Can we make jerky? or just cured meats like sausage, bearperroni, and hams. Ive heard of a friend just grinding all and using in beargurs, and bearittos.

05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Whatever you make, I googled and asked the crap out of this question....... The only way to make sure the black bear straign of trichnosis is dead is to get the core temp to 175deg. Freezing does not work in our conventional deep freezers from home. the straign of trich is not the same as pig. I cant remember the actual number but it was something like -40deg C it needed to kill tric'.

Bear makes great "Finnished" meat. Sausage pep etc. Some people say a high mountain fall bear is great for table fair. I hope to find out this fall!

houndsman
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I feed it to my hounds in the winter when im hunting them hard .The last time i ate bear was when i saw one hun acros the foad with a garbage bag hanging out of its ass

Doe Eyes
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
We use ground bear meat in the place of ground beef....just cook it well....its delicious.
Also slow cook stewing meat for an awsome stew....loins are excellent.

Darksith
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I have steaked and roasted an entire bear before. If you get the "right" bear it isn't terrible, different but doable.

Is trichnosis prevelant all across BC? I heard that that's not the case, any truth to it?

warnniklz
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
pepperoni and had steaks today

tomahawk
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm cuttin one up tomorrow, do it myself and love the burger (I add 8% beef fat) better then any ungulate. I make jerky and any and all sausages from them. Given the right size bear the rear hams are delicious as well as all regular cuts like stew, steaks and roasts!!

Surrey Boy
05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
I grind it up except the ribs, which I barbecue. While it's in the cooler I cut out steaks from the loins and fry them. It's indistinguishable from beef hamburger until you tell someone what it is.

Fishgutz
05-30-2011, 03:44 PM
LOL I've got two weekends left to get out and try and get my first! I hoping to make some pepperoni and sausages.

Jordo
05-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I take my deer meat from last fall and I mix it with my bear I got this year. I get pepperoni, brats and smokies made. Damn good eatin.

emerson
05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Burger. The shot damaged meat etc. is burger for the dog (cooked first and mixed with rice).

Marc
05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Made some of this last time, made 12 lbs of it and it only lasted two weeks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cut_sausage.jpg

nolimits
05-30-2011, 07:38 PM
This thread answers one of questions that were on my mind as I am about to go after my first bear. Thanks for posting up guys.

yukon john
05-30-2011, 07:43 PM
garden fertilizer, every bear has parisites, if you dont see um its cause you dont know what to look for. Something about fist size balls of worms, all those dark ''spots'' under the hide and those stringy bits of ''fat'' turned me off. My dog will eat anything from broccoli to feces and she wont touch bear meat.....should tell you something.

tomahawk
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Made some of this last time, made 12 lbs of it and it only lasted two weeks.

Looks great Marc, what recipe?

NaStY
05-30-2011, 07:48 PM
garden fertilizer, every bear has parisites, if you dont see um its cause you dont know what to look for. Something about fist size balls of worms, all those dark ''spots'' under the hide and those stringy bits of ''fat'' turned me off. My dog will eat anything from broccoli to feces and she wont touch bear meat.....should tell you something.

Wow thanks for comin out......

Got 50lbs of pepperoni, 25lbs smokies and 25lbs breakfast sausage. Taste great.........

Phil
05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Is that what I think it is? If so, I've never seen it on a plate before......

Phil
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Does finger lick 'n good come to mind for anyone else?

kyleklassen
05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
this year will be a few nice round roasts off the back end and the rest will be split 50/50 burger/ stew.

buck nash
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
I kept the tenderloins and backstraps for roasts, ribs and scraps went to the dogs. The 4 legs went to sumas Meats and were made into peperoni, chorizo, and appitizer sausage(smokies). The uncured stuff is not bad at all but the sausage is awesome, especially the chorizos. My 3 year old son is a fiend for the smokies and everyone who's tried any of the sausages is converted. Even one of my recovering vegitarian friends says she loves it.

Never mind the beer belly, I'm more worried about the bear belly. It's my favourite game meat.

bigneily
05-31-2011, 06:58 AM
If i'm heading west to the coast for a salmon trip, we keep our bear for baiting crab pots. Stinking bear meat makes the best crab bait..

Boner
05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
I slow cooked a bear roast last week. It didn't taste like anything. It picked up onion and garlic flavor from the cooker, but that's it. Looks like moose meat, tasted like nothing.

You could taste the farts I had two days later though, wow.

nolimits
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
I slow cooked a bear roast last week. It didn't taste like anything. It picked up onion and garlic flavor from the cooker, but that's it. Looks like moose meat, tasted like nothing.

You could taste the farts I had two days later though, wow.

Maybe, if it tasted like noting, you should take some cooking classes??:-D:-D:-D:-D

Marc
05-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Looks great Marc, what recipe?

It was one of those smokehouse kits from wholesale, it's the polish sausage kit and I ended up smoking it for 12 hours.

moosinaround
05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
If we shoot one this spring, it will be pepperonies, smokies, and Bavarian meat loaf. I may even try a few pounds of ground just to try it out in spaghetti, and chili! Moosin

buck nash
05-31-2011, 10:47 PM
It was one of those smokehouse kits from wholesale, it's the polish sausage kit and I ended up smoking it for 12 hours.

How is the tricinosis killed with that method? Is it hot smoked or is it done with some sort of preservative....? I was tempted to do my own with my first bear this year but chickened out due to concerns about tric.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Tric will die in your household freezer after 60 days ... at least is what i am told anyway .... If i get one this spring it will be jerky/pepperoni and perhaps a ham or 2

Islander30
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Just got my first bear back from the butcher the other day, I made a meatloaf and cooked it to 180 to be safe...it was excellent, very lean like ground sirloin. Also had pepperoni made and that was great too.

06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Tric will die in your household freezer after 60 days ... at least is what i am told anyway .... If i get one this spring it will be jerky/pepperoni and perhaps a ham or 2

Like i said earlier, Freezing does not kill bear Tric.
http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulletins/docs/b2000_18.htm
couple paragraphs down under "Precautions"

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/prevent.html
Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, may not effectively kill all worms because some worm species that infect wild game animals are freeze-resistant

yes you will find sites that say otherwise but i figure the CDC is the one to trust.

Gateholio
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Is that trich testing in Abbotsford /CHilliwack still available?

Gateholio
06-01-2011, 01:11 PM
PS

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?32706-Do-bears-have-trichinosis