PDA

View Full Version : *** Tell us how big is fair sized...... ***

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
How BIG do you think the average BLACK BEAR measures from tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

Im hoping that by the end of the post everyone can have a better idea the size of the average Black Bear.

So What do you consider to be a good size?

Wild one
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Not as big as most people say they are

madrona sh
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Around 250 pounds is my guess. I will not guess on length because I can stretch a hide pretty good.

madrona sh
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
A good bear to me is big and has to have a prime pelt or its a no go.

Drillbit
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Pretty hard to stretch it with it still on.

Nose to tail still on the body, I've measured lots over the years and the biggest are 5' 10" to 6 feet. Haven't seen one over 6 feet, but I'm sure someone else has.

My grizzly from last weekend was small, it was 7' nose to tail.

madrona sh
05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Ha, That's true I was thinking hide off.

Drillbit
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I thought so! haha

srupp
05-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Hmnmm the average sized black bear is about 5'5" and weighs in under 150 pounds early spring....lots around 120#s
a 'decent bear" is 6' and should go 175#s this is the size guided hunts like to see as a "minimum"..weights vary from 175-250...#s

Trophy bears start at 6'6" (based on size )...however a good cinamen brown bear that is well furred and big noggin..good claws that is 6' beats a 6'6" black bear in my books..imo..

these 6'6" bears will start over 300...and the difference in 5'5" and the 6'6" is truly impressive...

Any bear will do for meat or sausage...for true trophy..start at 6'.....again IMO...again the hide must be PRIMO....I know the coastal bears are now beyond primo for hair..both Grizzly and blacks...

Interior bears some will be starting to rub..but so far it is an exceptionally cold spring...snowing @ Sheridan yesterday..

Drill bit..7' grizzly is still a respectable interior grizzly bear if the hide is primo....one wouldnt start considering a 6'6" grizzly as truly trophy SIZED...

Fact of the matter is many more blacks are shot under 6' that over..and most spring bears are 120-150#..

biggest black bear I shot was pushing 8' and its hide covered a full sheet of plywood..everything that 3 grown fit men could do to load it..was exceptionally fat fall bear and had a exclusive eating area..the head was a "meat head"

cheers

Steven

muledeercrazy
05-30-2011, 12:39 PM
250 to 300 pound black bear boars dont seem to unusual on the island in the fall. They are a little lighter this year, unless im imagining things.

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Well thanks to all that have replied so far and srupp thanks for your detailed response.

My first bear last year was 6'1" all skinned out and the one this year was 6'. I have only hunted spring bear, one i hear the meat is best and two the coats seem to be quite nice especially all the bears I have seen thus far this year.

I posted this thread cause there seems to be alot of confusion as to how big is fair.

Im not sure I can call a bear a nice bear just based on weight alone cause I truly have no clue on weight but I was referring to the LENGTH and yes a thick coat is key. My buddy got his first last year which was 6'6" and just a brute so I was curious as to what everyone else has been harvesting.

Keep posting your thoughts.

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
If you got a legit 6' black bear in the round, he will square 7' plus skinned.

As an aside, the only 2 forms of measuring that I put any faith in are, in the round and squared, as they are much harder to fudge. You can pull a rug long and skinney to get a super length measurement, but the width measurement will cancel it out when divided by 2.

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
What is meant round or squared?

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:11 PM
For an interior B.C. bear, I classify 6' squared(5'ish in the round) as the starting point for trophy bears. On another note, once you start getting front pads that measure over 4 1/2" across your getting into "good" bear territory.

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
How do you exactly measure squared?

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
What is meant round or squared?

"In the Round" means the hide still attached to the carcass.
"Squared" means "nose to tail" length added to "toe to toe" length, then divided by 2. Helps to offset any "stretchy stretchy" with a length only measure.

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
We was posting at the same time............grin

moosinaround
05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the Boone and Crockett score for a Black bear not the skull size?? I do not hunt bears for the hide or the skull, but for the sausage meat. It is also good practice in deboning an animal. Bears certainly give a fellow a reason to get out in the spring and stretch your legs from a long winter. Usually we are out of meat in the freezer, and need some meat for pepperonies and smokies for the summer BBQ. I would like to think that a 5'6" and up black bear would be a pretty good sized rug for anyones wall! Moosin

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
thanks for the input and yes, if scoring it is in the skull.
You all have valid points but lately I have heard alot of guys saying ah hes to small (6ft).
I personaly dont know anyone with a 7-8' black but hear the island it a good start, I just wanted to know what everyone thinks is a fair size and well you have all answered a 6' is a descent harvest and nothing to be ashamed of.
Happy hunting and good luck over the next two weeks, the last week has seemed to proved good for bear sightings, anywhere from 6-10 per day. I guess the snow is finally melting.

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Skull size is what the B&C uses to record bears, yes. However, a big skull does not necessarilly extrapolate into a big rug.

A 5'6" interior black bear is a mature bear, but they are a fair bit smaller when viewed alongside a 6' plus....

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
You all have valid points but lately I have heard alot of guys saying ah hes to small (6ft).

Based on some of the pics I've seen on this site, as well as many others, of "6 FOOT" black bears, I'd pass on lots of them as well.....................:mrgreen:

srupp
05-30-2011, 01:37 PM
hmmm I have harvested plenty of 6' bears and bigger...last years 7' brown phased black bear harvested on Mothers day was my biggest color phased bear..but numerous 7' black bears over the years..seem to be more "bigger bears" towards Chilco lake Tatlyoko..hill before Bella Coola..and Horsefly..BEAVER VALLEY...

complete difference in meat bear and trophy bear...and trophy is either/or skull or hide for the wall...

Steven

05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
lately I have heard alot of guys saying ah hes to small (6ft).
I personaly dont know anyone with a 7-8' black but hear the island it a good start.

Thats just the poofie chests!
6 foot is perfectly respectable.

in all seriousness though. Someone saying 6' is small is the same guy who passes up 6pt bull elk that are too small. They probably see hundreds of bears and to them 6' is small. To me 6' is dead. It all depends on where YOU are coming from not where the internet is coming from :)

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
PSE & R,

For reference....

6'5" squared black bear
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/2007%20Black%20Bear/Img_0797.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/2007%20Black%20Bear/Img_0809.jpg

6'2" squared chocolate
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/Black%20Bear%202006/Img_0355.jpg

Didn't square this one, as I sold it in the round, but it is right at or slightly over 6'

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/RC%20bear%20and%20Rock/Img_1196.jpg

05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
How did you sell it? Isnt that illegal?
sorry i dont know where the line is here

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Nothing illegal about it at all. You take your licence, tag and bear to a licensed fur buyer, decide on a price, then take a cheque home instead of your bear.

Buyer is responsible for royalties, export permits etc.....

GoatGuy
05-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Most black bears will square under 6' and weigh less than 200 lbs.

Most hunters will tell you it was over 6' and over 200 lbs - just the way it goes.........

RiverOtter
05-30-2011, 02:21 PM
6 FEET...........6 INCHES......................Almost an uncanny parallel.........................:mrgreen:

muledeercrazy
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
That is good advice about Chilko lake and west, Steven. We saw three black bears on our drive through there this year, all close to the road and all about the size you mentioned. Around 150 pounds and looking pretty hungry.

tomahawk
05-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Length of the average would be about 5 1/2 ft long but better judge of trophy size is like the record books and 20" skull and better is a great blackie, 19"- 20" is good.

willyqbc
05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
For us we always refer to a bears length still on the carcass, but it is by no means definitive of what a big bear is. Let me explain....bears are like people some are tall, some are short. I have had the good fortune to shoot several bears that went right around 6 1/2 feet in the round....2 in particular come to mind. The first was a bear I shot many years ago....he measured 6' 6" on the carcass....he was a very long bear but was quite lean and lanky. The bear I shot in '09 was actually "smaller" than this bear, going 6' 5" on the carcass.....however, the so called smaller bear was far and away a bigger bear and would have weighed close to 200lbs more than the long lanky one. Basically two totally different age classes.

Have seen big bears with small heads, small bears with big heads, long skinny bears, short stocky bears built like a powerlifter. The differences in physique of bears is why they are so hard to pin down a specific measurement of any kind to declare what is a good bear. I just generally try to look for a good stocky muscular physique with decent length and overall size. A nice byproduct of this is that you will generally end up with a boar.

my .02 cents
Chris

bushpig slayer
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
we have taken many bear on the island average 5.5-6.0 feet good eaters bigger they get seems the wormy they are average weight 200 i did however, spot a pig on another mountain which i am now hunting heavy for by guess through binocs he should push into the 7 +foot range easy and my guess 400+ lbs easy one of the bigger pigs i have seen in a few years.video camera with me at all times to give you guys and gals a show if i can connect with him.many dreams about this one!

wos
05-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I havent pulled the pin on a black bear in my 20ish years of hunting because I havent found the right one yet. The ownly one I had regrets about was a brown one that was enormous but it wasn't jet black. For me a bear needs to be big and fat well over the 6.5' mark jet black no rub marks on his hide and a light brown muzzle. To me Its a trophy hunt so I may as well set the bar supper high.

emerson
05-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Between 5' and 5' 6" squared and 120lbs-150lbs is where my spring bears have fallen. Anything bigger can be a real challenge for one person to move around, especially into a taller truck.

greenhorn
05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm not worried too much about length because it's hard to judge before the bear is on the ground (for me anyway). I look for a big head and stocky body, and if it has both then it's a shooter.

I think the island blackies must be bigger on average based on srupp's info about mainland bears. You don't have to look hard at all to find decent bears on the island that are heavier than 200lbs...... easy.

Salty
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I think the island blackies must be bigger on average based on srupp's info about mainland bears. You don't have to look hard at all to find decent bears on the island that are heavier than 200lbs...... easy.

Yup. I grew up in the central interior have lived on the rock for 20 some years, the bears here are stockier and heavier. Spanky's bear this year was a 3-4 yr old male and after skinning and gutting we wouldn't lift him had to half him. I'm pretty strong and young spanky lifts 250 lbs at the gym regularly that bear was north of 250 lbs easy.

wolverine
05-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I think a 6 foot bear is a good bear but I would wager that most black bears taken aren't even that big. Then of course there are the real big ones but I only shoot eating bears and if it's been protein fed (reads fish) I'm not in the least interested. Don't care how big it is.

Salty
05-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Ya that's the problem with coastal bears if you get a low lander near a salmon crick it's not usually the best table fair. LOL. High country is the ticket

showtimebc
05-30-2011, 11:15 PM
a true 6 foot black bear (from nose to base of tail on the body) tend to have skull scores of 19 inches (or very close to). if you get a 19 inch black bear, that equals BC book, and is an exceptional interior bear. From my experience, bears towards the coast get much bigger bodies at a younger age. Even though they might have a 6 foot frame on them, they tend to have around an 18.5 inch skull and trophy hunters would consider them to be a "meat head" bear. Just my experience from being on 50+ bear hunts. Anyone else have simular findings when it comes to body size and skull score for interior/ coastal bears?

greenhorn
05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
a true 6 foot black bear (from nose to base of tail on the body) tend to have skull scores of 19 inches (or very close to). if you get a 19 inch black bear, that equals BC book, and is an exceptional interior bear. From my experience, bears towards the coast get much bigger bodies at a younger age. Even though they might have a 6 foot frame on them, they tend to have around an 18.5 inch skull and trophy hunters would consider them to be a "meat head" bear. Just my experience from being on 50+ bear hunts. Anyone else have simular findings when it comes to body size and skull score for interior/ coastal bears?

Haven't been on that many bear hunts but the dozen bears I've been in on have taught me that the head tells the story of body size in most cases.

Big ears = small bear
Small ears on the side of the head = decent bear that may be a shooter

Since 2007 I've taken 5 bears from the south island. Two of them that I bothered to measure squared over 6 feet. They both had above average heads on them (18.5" plus). On the other hand, the quarters on these bears were huge and the bodies were fat and stout.

I'm hoping that my bear from this year will have a 19+" skull. When I fleshed it out and green scored it it looked real darn close..... we'll see :)

Blainer
05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
This a colored phased interior bear that I harvested,came in at 6'.
I decided to rug him,as in my opinion,he is a decent bear.
I have harvested bigger,but this fella had a nice color and hide.
In my humble opinion,he is bigger than alot of the 6+' bears posted,it would appear lots like to STRETCH the truth.
average size 5-5 1/2, 6'= decent,7+=great bear
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01722.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

hunter1947
05-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Hmnmm the average sized black bear is about 5'5" and weighs in under 150 pounds early spring....lots around 120#s
a 'decent bear" is 6' and should go 175#s this is the size guided hunts like to see as a "minimum"..weights vary from 175-250...#s

Trophy bears start at 6'6" (based on size )...however a good cinamen brown bear that is well furred and big noggin..good claws that is 6' beats a 6'6" black bear in my books..imo..

these 6'6" bears will start over 300...and the difference in 5'5" and the 6'6" is truly impressive...

Any bear will do for meat or sausage...for true trophy..start at 6'.....again IMO...again the hide must be PRIMO....I know the coastal bears are now beyond primo for hair..both Grizzly and blacks...

Interior bears some will be starting to rub..but so far it is an exceptionally cold spring...snowing @ Sheridan yesterday..

Drill bit..7' grizzly is still a respectable interior grizzly bear if the hide is primo....one wouldnt start considering a 6'6" grizzly as truly trophy SIZED...

Fact of the matter is many more blacks are shot under 6' that over..and most spring bears are 120-150#..

biggest black bear I shot was pushing 8' and its hide covered a full sheet of plywood..everything that 3 grown fit men could do to load it..was exceptionally fat fall bear and had a exclusive eating area..the head was a "meat head"

cheers

Steven
I agree X2 good words.....

chilcotin hillbilly
05-31-2011, 06:29 AM
I am with Steve on this as well. If you are looking for a meat bear who cares, but this is when the most sows are shot.
An average bear should be 6' but judging what I see on this site it is not. When guiding you hope to take all your bears over 6 foot if possible, there is really no excuse not to if you take your time judging. Truly big bear you don't even have to judge, you just know.

scallywag
05-31-2011, 06:43 AM

that i what i seem to think on bear size. oh yeah and know that i have been hanging out with a few bear hunters and have been practicing with my own any bear in bow range is a trophy

Jamieboyless
06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
just shot a brown bear grizzly colours 5' 11'' nose to tail skinned 6' 8'' not streatched okanagan bear to have Harley White is turning him into a rug as i type
not to bad for a fist bear

steepNdeep
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Srupp - When you are talking length ie: 6' are you talking nose to tail ON the animal or OFF?

As you've seen a lot of bears, I respect your judgement. What is your estimate of these bears in the pics/vid? - CINNAMON Pics / Vid (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?67708-Bear-Hunting-VIDEO/page2)

THE BEAST
06-02-2011, 07:27 AM
i think 5 and half is average