PDA

View Full Version : Bear got away

Hemi
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
well I found a nice size black bear hiked in 600 yards got with in 30 yards and pulled the trigger. He jumped up ran to side of the road I was on did a fake charge and settled down. I kept my gun on him for a few minutes but he had settled into the bush. I heard him gurgling and left him to die while I went for my truck checking the spot where I last saw him no movement. Got the truck and found the access road to the bear when I got there 5 mi nutes later he was gone I followed his blood trail for a bit but had to get back to pick up my daughter. Went right back out found more blood but he had gone into thick brush and I can't find him. Anyone have dogs in the PG area that wouldn't mind helping out..

slovakien_12
05-29-2011, 11:47 PM
which neck of the woods were you when you shot it?

theK.G.B
05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh man I just went through this. If your not able to get a dog on this. I learned that using the circle technique is very effective to find your next sign. The bear ran inside some really thick stuff. You may notice where he literrally crashed through the forrest. And was the blood bubbly? It would be a convincing lung shot with the gurgling you heard to boot! And the weather is in your favor with 7 degrees tonite and 21 tomorrow you should have a good advantage!
Let us know how it goes and good luck!
KGB

Hemi
05-30-2011, 06:59 AM
33.5 k on the Salmon.. right side.. I learned 2 things from this 1) do not leave untill the animal is done and 2) if the oppertunity is there take the second shot I will get out today and track some more..He ran into timbers with 12 -14 inch trees laying everywhere, found one spot where he climbed onto and it looks like he layed there for a minuteor more and I lost the trail there...

hillclimber
05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
if you think he is in this place with 12-14 inch trees maybe try climbing a tree with your binos and look for a "black stump". Best of luck to you finding your bear!

emerson
05-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Dammit, I was right there an hour ago. I can be there around 11:45 or so this morning after I drop the boy off. PM sent.

05-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Good luck, And yes shoot till their dead.

slovakien_12
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I can come out and give you a hand as well if needed. PM if interested

yamadirt 426
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
find that bear boys good luck !

chilcotin hillbilly
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
make sure the first one counts especially from 30 yards. Black bears are not hard to kill. If you made a decent shot he won't go far.

05-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Shoot until they're dead!

emerson
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
We crisscrossed that section of bush pretty good today. There was three of us. We got on line spread out in the direction the blood trail was going and went out several hundred yards, then back and cutting across the direction of travel many times looking for the next drop/splash of blood. The area is bounded by a beaver pond, open cut block, and a big open meadow, so not lots of great hiding places. Once into the bush you can see clearly 10-15 yds, so not real thick. We checked under deadfalls and root wads and walked both banks of the little creek that flows from the beaver pond. We found one chunk of bloody bone maybe 60 yds from the shot sight, but the blood trail petered out not much past 100 yds. It's close enough to continue checking every couple of days so we'll see. Nice to meet a couple more guys working hard at being responsible.

nolimits
05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
We crisscrossed that section of bush pretty good today. There was three of us. We got on line spread out in the direction the blood trail was going and went out several hundred yards, then back and cutting across the direction of travel many times looking for the next drop/splash of blood. The area is bounded by a beaver pond, open cut block, and a big open meadow, so not lots of great hiding places. Once into the bush you can see clearly 10-15 yds, so not real thick. We checked under deadfalls and root wads and walked both banks of the little creek that flows from the beaver pond. We found one chunk of bloody bone maybe 60 yds from the shot sight, but the blood trail petered out not much past 100 yds. It's close enough to continue checking every couple of days so we'll see. Nice to meet a couple more guys working hard at being responsible.

Too bad you couldn't locate the bear so far. Thanks for the update.

Hemi
05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes, thank emerson and Mcsledder for your help in trying to find him. We did look hard fighting off the predators we call mosquitos. As mentioned we had no luck in finding him or any more sign much passed where I got yesterday. Went back tonite went alittle deeper still nothing....

emerson
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I stopped by there this morning, did some listening and looking for ravens etc, but no signs.