PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a service like this?

Gateholio
05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Consider this type of service for the resident hunter:

Flown into a remote camp in northern BC (You would be required to get yourself to northern BC and your accommodations until meting with the plane)

Camp with cabins/ outhouse/ cook cabin etc

All meals provided for you by Chef Gatehouse

If you want to spike camp, tent and cookware and food provided for you

All you need to bring is your clothing, sleeping bag, rifle, optics. No need for camping gear.

Hunt on your own on foot in a great moose and elk area, grizzly if you have an LEH, some goat hunting

Help with area hunting knowledge

help with packing meat back (via horses or on Proguide66 and Gatehouse backs!)

No more than 4 hunters at a time and virtually no other hunting pressure.

You and your meat for one animal flown out included in price, additional animals will have extra costs

7 days including 2 flying days (you can hunt 6 hours after flying)

Price would be in the $2500-$4000 range

Would anyone be interested in this?

******Please note I am aware of all the laws regarding guides, outfitting, packing, transporting etc. No need to discuss all that stuff here. If we provided this service everything would be 100% legit, it's just a concept right now**************

Ambush
05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Flights in and out included?

Elk and caribou on the list?

Gateholio
05-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Hunt on your own on foot in a great moose and elk area, grizzly if you have an LEH, some goat hunting. I know there are some caribou in the area, but not what I would call really great.

You and your meat for one animal flown out included in price, additional animals will have extra costs

silvicon
05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
are you acting now as a packer, advisor or guide?
Once you take money, you are on the hook.

The Dawg
05-28-2011, 06:13 PM
******Please note I am aware of all the laws regarding guides, outfitting, packing, transporting etc. No need to discuss all that stuff here. If we provided this service everything would be 100% legit, it's just a concept right now**************

And in this corner.....ding ding...

Gateholio
05-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Noah Dawg.

frenchbar
05-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Sounds pretty good to me ...i would be in if i could save up some coin . need a wrangler:)

Freshtracks
05-28-2011, 06:59 PM
It just might be something I'd be looking for this fall .. possibly x2.

boatdoc
05-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea at a reasonable price!
I would be interested.

Mark_S
05-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I think it would do well if you had the right exposure and advertising. It's not a trip that I personally would be able to make at this juncture with limited time off, but I know my Dad and his friends would certainly be interested in this sort of a hunt. BC must have a good market for this sort of hunt if done by the right people.

MuleyMadness
05-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Certainly sounds like a very good idea, and at those prices I think it would be very competitive with what you would get from Liard or the likes...but them without the professional chef and the local hunting knowledge you could bring to the table.

For many guys, they are looking at the 2k range just to get themselves the appropriate camping gear to go on a hunt of that nature, plus all the logistical and technical problems of dealing with getting it to their hunting spot....which you would already have taken care of. I only wonder though, if 2500 would be enough for you to make decent money (or any money at all) out of it, but I'm sure you've figured all that out already.

When you consider what it costs for the above mentioned Liard and their outpost cabins, or for Riverjet to just get you there, if you can make a go of it for that price range, I think you would have yourself a winner. Of course marketing is everything, at least the first couple of years, but a couple of 'at cost' trips for people would probably get that side of things rolling along pretty well.

Is the Pink Tutu extra though?

mark
05-28-2011, 09:07 PM
It sounds somewhere in between, "a guided hunt", a "packers service" and a "remote cabin rental"
Im more of the "do it myself for cheaper" kind of guy, but I could certainly see this type of service working.
People pay more than that, for less time at salmon fishing lodges in the charlottes!!!

Of course the local outfitter will do everything in his power to phuc-yoo-up!!!

ROEBUCK
05-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I could see a local guide trying to sue you here !
not sure if it would be worth the grief !
but GOOD LUCK ANYWAYS never hurts to think of ventures

emerson
05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
I think there will be a lot of growth in this direction to service resident hunters. Getting to a decent spot and having gear and a place to sleep, cook, eat etc. cost most of us thousands already, are most of the bother, and take a lot of useful time away from hunting. Transportation, cabin rental, and packing service would be a great idea. The fact is the local "outfitter" services wealthy out of province hunters, so the actual business conflict would be small.

MuleyMadness
05-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I could see a local guide trying to sue you here !
not sure if it would be worth the grief !
but GOOD LUCK ANYWAYS never hurts to think of ventures

Well as long as you are not actually guiding, I don't really see how they could have a case...you are allowed to cook for people, you are allowed to provide them with tents and horses/etc 'for rent', you are allowed to book their flights and the like for them...you are essentially a logistical service, who also happens to cook for people. Doesn't much sound like guiding to me.

coach
05-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I think it's a great idea! I'd be very interested and would have no trouble getting three others to share a trip.

05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I also think it's a grest idea and the projected cost is great too, go for it Clark...!

BromBones
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Would probably be a lot of interest in that deal.

The price range is something most guys could afford, and I can see hunters appreciating the fact that all the details are taken care of - just grab the pack & boots, and go.

Moose Guide
05-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Not my cup of tea but if you can make it go, then more power to ya!

proguide66
05-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Few points to add. 'lets just say'......as well if requested could be LEGALY guided by my self , VERRY very minimal chance of seeing another hunter and as well zero chance of any potential 'outfitter conflict at' all. Its an idea being tossed , just having a peak at the response to see what kind of interest. Loads of elk , great moose , grizzly , ....resident service for residents at a fair 'resident' price.

The Dude
05-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Looks like some people have been talking over beers about a career change! :-)
Sounds like a good package. I assume you're crunched the numbers over cost of fly-in, food etc. I know PG's a guide, and GH is a chef/kitchen manager (food costs, personnel, etc) That, coupled with the hunting experience you two could bring to the table makes it sound like a winner.
Gonna get your own territory, or lease off an existing/retiring GO?

cwocarsten
05-29-2011, 12:31 AM
I"m in. I'll start saving now.

r106
05-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I would seriosly consider it in the 2500-3500$ range

Spy
05-29-2011, 01:16 AM
One way ticket for you! Then they can call search & rescue to try get you out, again! "Then you are on the hook!":wink::wink:

hunter1947
05-29-2011, 02:19 AM
For me no interestes in the hunt but would like to meet Clark and Steve :) this package is a very good deal for any hunter...

Gateholio
05-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Still just a 'concept" at this point, as I said-leave the "legal stuff " out of this for the time being. No way either of us would even want to try to get into a "grey area" of law with regards to legal guiding, packing, rentals etc. Not worth the hassle, we have a working concept and just testing the waters, seeing if people would be interested in the concept!

rburm
05-29-2011, 07:46 AM
If you have paid for any fishing lodge in the charlottes at $3500 for 4 days plus booze, your prices are extremely cheap. Iirc we pay in the neighborhood of $500 per man per day for accomodations and landed access with guides for pheasant hunting in south dakota yearly. This excludes food and drink

I would do it in a heart beat. No wear and tear on your own truck, camper and atv. No headaches, makes sense to me. Being self employed I have limited time I can take off, to have all the details worked out for me is worth paying for. Done right, this could be a yearly booking for me.

bearhunter338-06
05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
is this a per person price or a group price...........It's not my horse back elk hunt but I'm very interested.

scott h
05-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a good concept Gatehouse. To can get it off the ground it will probably require you to start at the lower price point just to get a few guys and word of mouth working for you, but you can always adjust up. I don't understand the legal scare from people, it sounds like no more than a remote B&B that you have organized the transport in to, similar to back country ski lodges.
Where would the flight out leave from? Any idea's yet?

Whiteychaser
05-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Which packer u thinking about buying out? Brown?

Flingin' Sticks
05-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Couldn't afford to do it now, but it's something I'd defenitely be interested in down the road a little bit. I'll be following how this shapes up with interest

Brett
05-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I think if you do this and advertise well, you will do well.
Riverjet charges half of what you may be charging and they are transportation only.., SO if you are feeding me and lodging me for the trip ( I assume it would be good grub ;) )

I feel its a good value ( . )

Fishhound
05-29-2011, 09:56 AM
BCs first hunt coordination business, Great Idea

This would be a useful tool for the wildlife ministry to bring up harvest numbers in areas with low hunt success
I only wish I was in better health I would be your first customer

Mr. Dean
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
As I see it, you're basically running a wilderness resort in the Wild Lands of BC. I like the concept.
Since my car crash a few years back, packing out game has become a hopeful thought; I've been forced to let some good critters walk because of where I find them. Something that offers this kind of personalized service is something definitely worth consideration.

deer nut
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I think you may run afoul of the regs here.....

Bow Walker
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
In a "NY minute!"

Blainer
05-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Throw in a couple coolies and you have sparked my interest.

Freshtracks
05-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Calls dibs as 1st test client. ;)

mbariesheff
05-29-2011, 12:23 PM
As stated above is this per person or for the whole group of 3 - 4 guys???

Gateholio
05-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Prices would be per person. These are ballpark prices, at this point.

Gilmore
05-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Mr. Proguide 66, I have to say the lengths you will go to, to insure....no wait....to force young Master Gatehouse to have some sort of gainful employment is commendable. A truer friend there never was. I must remind you though of that old saying about leading a horse to water....you better make sure it don't buck you off in the creek, or something like that.

Gateholio
05-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm trying my best to stay out of the potato industry. :)

moosinaround
05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds good, lets see how your competition feels once you start. Can't see other resource users letting you into their bread and butter without a challenge? I might use this service once it gets off the ground. Though I personally like the cooking, gutting and packing as it is also part of the whole hunting experience. Each to thier own, if you feel this is an unexploited resource use avenue, then more power to you! Hope it works out for you guys, sounds like it would be a hoot of an experience! Moosin

Fishhound
05-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I think its a great idea especially for people like myself who for whatever reason do not have the physical ability to pack large game out

The Dude
05-29-2011, 05:21 PM
As stated above is this per person or for the whole group of 3 - 4 guys???

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/WiitarHeroCSz/SLAMONDAKEYBOARD.gif

frenchbar
05-29-2011, 05:34 PM
bahahahahaha.......awesome DUDE.

bayou
05-29-2011, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Gatehouse;921284]Consider this type of service for the resident hunter:

Flown into a remote camp in northern BC (You would be required to get yourself to northern BC and your accommodations until meting with the plane)

Camp with cabins/ outhouse/ cook cabin etc

All meals provided for you by Chef Gatehouse

If you want to spike camp, tent and cookware and food provided for you

All you need to bring is your clothing, sleeping bag, rifle, optics. No need for camping gear.

Hunt on your own on foot in a great moose and elk area, grizzly if you have an LEH, some goat hunting

Help with area hunting knowledge

help with packing meat back (via horses or on Proguide66 and Gatehouse backs!)

No more than 4 hunters at a time and virtually no other hunting pressure.

7 days including 2 flying days (you can hunt 6 hours after flying)

Price would be in the $2500-$4000 range

Would anyone be interested in this?

NO can four see to many issues

******Please note I am aware of all the laws regarding guides, outfitting, packing, transporting etc. No need to discuss all that stuff here. If we provided this service everything would be 100% legit, it's just a concept right now**************[/

boxhitch
05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
It looks like a great concept. There would certainly be some clients for any kind of hunt package when done right.

pg83
05-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I would certainly go for this kind of a hunt and could easily put together a group of 4. To get flown in, have a cabin, have meals made, and have even a bit of pack help(not that you should really need it with 4 hunters) for that price seems like a hell of a deal to me. The bonus of hanging out with proguide and gatehouse makes it a dream come true ;)

Just for clarification, it was 1 animal per hunter?
Would you be able to take more game for the extra flight cost? Ballpark figure on that?

Fisher-Dude
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Contact Steven MacIver at MoE licencing and regs and see what your parameters are. He's a good guy and could give some good advice about what you can and can't do.

Lots of guys who would use a service like that I think!

Just don't join GOABC! :D

Johnnybear
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Just don't join GOABC! :D

I agree with your comment and it would be a CRYING SHAME if it turned out this way.

buford19
05-29-2011, 08:44 PM
I would be in for next year. P.M. if you are serious going throught with this type of hunt.

hillclimber
05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I think that this would be a great ideal. Especially with the prices you have stated. I think lots of the old timers who don't have the muscle anymore to do it all would be in great interest of this.

Also would you be offering this service to residents only or aliens aswell.

Big G Hunter
05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Would for sure be interested if flights are included.

finngun
05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
mee too... very intresting idea....not this year for me ,but in next 2-3 years...i'll be ready for that.. keep idea going...i'm sure it will fly... thanx gatehouse

Gateholio
05-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, it's good to see there is enough interest to take this past the concept stage and into the discussion over beer stage. Thanks for your input. We will see where this goes! :)

behemoth
05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I think allot of guys are saying they would pay $2500 for a cook, shelter and packer but if the rubber hit the road, 99% of em wouldnt committ. Its a very specialized market

Most BC hunters can get away with chipping in a few hundred bucks for gas and are happy to pack their own game. Most guys aleready have a camper. And who needs a personal chef at hunting camp??

great idea but I'd be worried about how big is the resident hunter market is who want to spend money on this

boxhitch
05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Sure, it would be a niche market, thats why it would work.
Some BC'ers have deep-pockets

Walksalot
05-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Interesting concept. If the cabins do not already exist then that might be a bit of an issue.

CanuckShooter
05-30-2011, 06:18 AM
I think allot of guys are saying they would pay $2500 for a cook, shelter and packer but if the rubber hit the road, 99% of em wouldnt committ. Its a very specialized market

Most BC hunters can get away with chipping in a few hundred bucks for gas and are happy to pack their own game. Most guys aleready have a camper. And who needs a personal chef at hunting camp??

great idea but I'd be worried about how big is the resident hunter market is who want to spend money on this

They sell about 95,000 BC resident hunting licenses per year? I'll bet they could find enough BC Residents willing to fork out the moola to have a nice small business venture!!

oldtimer
05-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Gate, sounds like a hell of a good deal. Any good fishing in the area in case a fella fills his tag early? If that happens do we still get the full time ?? Mike

CanuckShooter
05-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I wonder what the suggested menu would be.....????

elkdom
05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

I dunno, but I sure hope they supply REAL Heinz ketchup !

Movingdirt
05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
No not at all. I would just do it myself. Simple, easy, and much more rewarding.
I would never consider paying inexperienced people for anything, let alone a hunting trip.

frenchbar
05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
No not at all. I would just do it myself. Simple, easy, and much more rewarding.
I would never consider paying inexperienced people for anything, let alone a hunting trip.

their far from inexperienced...do more research.

Darksith
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
what happens when there is multiple flights which will almost always be the case when talking trophy big game like moose and elk...can you actually still do it for $2500. I have no idea about owning a plane, I would love too one day, but things like maintenance, storage, fuel, pilot all cost money, and I wonder what the annual cost to owning a plane is.

Bow Walker
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Shitty first post there boy-o.

You need to put your mind in gear before putting your foot in mouth.

Gateholio
05-30-2011, 05:18 PM

It sure won't be endless KD! :)

Gate, sounds like a hell of a good deal. Any good fishing in the area in case a fella fills his tag early? If that happens do we still get the full time ?? Mike

We are just trying to put the idea together rigth now, so no firm answers. Ideally to keep the price down for everyone, hunters would be on a 7 day rotation with the plane, so you would be in camp until the end of the trip unless you wanted to pay extra for an early plane ride.

But this is all still hypothetical! :)

Gateholio
05-30-2011, 05:20 PM
what happens when there is multiple flights which will almost always be the case when talking trophy big game like moose and elk...can you actually still do it for $2500. I have no idea about owning a plane, I would love too one day, but things like maintenance, storage, fuel, pilot all cost money, and I wonder what the annual cost to owning a plane is.

Not sure, which is why I put $2500-$4000. Not even sure if it is viable at $4000 yet! All this must be examined further, but there is no point in going further if nobody was interested, but it seems there is interest. :)

Weatherby Fan
05-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Aahhh ! The Kraft Dinner Lodge :mrgreen:
Sign me up,sounds like a good time.
WF

proguide66
05-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Maybe we could learn to hunt and guide as we went?

Gateholio
05-30-2011, 06:00 PM

And I could learn to cook using clients as guinea pigs!!

Gilmore
05-30-2011, 06:15 PM

I can tell you guys have really thought this through...are you looking for investors?:mrgreen:

italhunter
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
At that price range it would be a very good deal.

Freshtracks
05-30-2011, 06:30 PM
and i could learn to cook using clients as guinea pigs!!

more kd and weiners!!!! :-D

Gateholio
05-30-2011, 06:38 PM
But we would serve the kd with Grey Pouon ketchup!

proguide66
05-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I think we should take Gilmores money asap...for 'in case' we get er goin!

BlacktailStalker
05-30-2011, 06:44 PM

They both just got their pal last year so they know what they are doing, plus gatehouse got his chef of the month award last month at Applebees... obviously he's a good cook :roll:

troutseeker
05-30-2011, 07:31 PM

Geez, not again... My French Grandma fed me my guinea pig! No word of a lie! Lol

troutseeker
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
But we would serve the kd with Grey Pouon ketchup!

You must mean Grey Poupon? Or is it Ghey Poo On????

BCrams
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Not a bad concept at low end 2500 / person for 7 days is 10 grand. Knock off some for overhead / fuel costs.

I'm sure there's a deal in the works to work alongside Stone Mtn Safari's and their plane with the assistant guide licence so some cost for the Guide Outfitter to pocket money as well.

Questions / concerns:

- cabin camp - are you rotating hunters between different hunting areas? I personally wouldn't want to be the party showing up last week of September or first week of October if you've already run 20 or 24 hunters from the same cabin camp since mid-August on the 7 day rotation.

I understand talking with Kevin of Riverjet that he often cycles hunters through different camps from one year to the next unless the party knows exactly where they want to be already thus spreading the pressure out.

- does cost include use of horses to go out hunting beyond and hunt past the mile or two most hunters typically will hunt on foot?

- unless I missed it, is that 1 animal for 4 guys or 1 animal per guy price?

No doubt the cooking would be first rate.

sneg
05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I think cost for services very reasonable and it 's good deal for someone who does want hassle to manage camp.
Personally I prefer DIY,so won't be interested.

pse&remington
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I know others who already pay 1200 plus just for the boat ride up the tuchodi, they pay for all their own food and set up their own camp so...I think there is a market out there for something of this nature. If you build it they will come!

proguide66
05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Not a bad concept at low end 2500 / person for 7 days is 10 grand. Knock off some for overhead / fuel costs.

I'm sure there's a deal in the works to work alongside Stone Mtn Safari's and their plane with the assistant guide licence so some cost for the Guide Outfitter to pocket money as well.

Questions / concerns:

- cabin camp - are you rotating hunters between different hunting areas? I personally wouldn't want to be the party showing up last week of September or first week of October if you've already run 20 or 24 hunters from the same cabin camp since mid-August on the 7 day rotation.

I understand talking with Kevin of Riverjet that he often cycles hunters through different camps from one year to the next unless the party knows exactly where they want to be already thus spreading the pressure out.

- does cost include use of horses to go out hunting beyond and hunt past the mile or two most hunters typically will hunt on foot?

- unless I missed it, is that 1 animal for 4 guys or 1 animal per guy price?

No doubt the cooking would be first rate.
to be CLEAR , there IS NO DEAL MADE or even spoken to any outfitter including SMS and makin the statement only starts un needed rumors.

This is only a 'possible' idea thought up 1.5 days ago over a greasy breakfeast. The thred isto see IF THERE WOULD BE INTEREST in a possible 'resident hunter' service provided by residents with an option to hunt on your own OR be LEGALLY guided for elk,moose and leh grizzly maybe even goats and the odd carribou at a reasonable 'resident price'.;)
No 'packer' label , no goabc or outfitter conflict , no legal issues........its simple....interest er not.
There is obviously MANY experienced guys on here and also many avid hunters with little knowlege to go up north for the remote mountain hunting experience and come home successful with a freezer load of elk or moose.

I know there is a large # of hunters in BC who would have to spend a shitload of holiday time and $$$ to try and find such a place and then to learn it while more often than not coming home empty handed.
I'm also quite sure there is a large number of licensed guy's who would LOVE to get dropped into a remote camp to be taken care of and maybe be guided to game or at least be legally pointed to it and have help to get it back to0 the plane.
So far looks like we were right , there IS interest.....our question answered.Now just to see how appetising it is to further persue.:-D

Spy
05-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Movingdirt

Now you guys are talking!:wink: Maybe Silvicon & Movingdirt could be your first Victims!:-D

MOOSE MILK
05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I am interested, all my hunting buddies are dieing off so if I could get in on a hunt like this that would be great.

The Hermit
05-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I like hunting from a canoe... throw in the use of canoe and I'd be interested. How about this... I pay $200/night to crash on Gatehouse's couch, and eat his epicurean delights in his kitchen, I bring the beer (this could get ugly), and go hunting with you guys for a huge blacktail! :-)

proguide66
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I like hunting from a canoe... throw in the use of canoe and I'd be interested. How about this... I pay $200/night to crash on Gatehouse's couch, and eat his epicurean delights in his kitchen, I bring the beer (this could get ugly), and go hunting with you guys for a huge blacktail! :-)
Does the canoe have to be in water? mind if its dragged behind a horse up hill??

LOC
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd be interested in learning more once things come together. I could see this being a great trip to bring the wife on (non-hunter at the moment but loves being out in the woods)! We did our honeymoon at a fly-in fishing resort in the yukon that offered what sounds like a similar service you guys are talking about doing... the food alone was worth the trip.

05-31-2011, 09:47 AM
to be CLEAR , there IS NO DEAL MADE or even spoken to any outfitter including SMS and makin the statement only starts un needed rumors.

This is only a 'possible' idea thought up 1.5 days ago over a greasy breakfeast. The thred isto see IF THERE WOULD BE INTEREST in a possible 'resident hunter' service provided by residents with an option to hunt on your own OR be LEGALLY guided for elk,moose and leh grizzly maybe even goats and the odd carribou at a reasonable 'resident price'.;)
No 'packer' label , no goabc or outfitter conflict , no legal issues........its simple....interest er not.
There is obviously MANY experienced guys on here and also many avid hunters with little knowlege to go up north for the remote mountain hunting experience and come home successful with a freezer load of elk or moose.

I know there is a large # of hunters in BC who would have to spend a shitload of holiday time and $$$ to try and find such a place and then to learn it while more often than not coming home empty handed.
I'm also quite sure there is a large number of licensed guy's who would LOVE to get dropped into a remote camp to be taken care of and maybe be guided to game or at least be legally pointed to it and have help to get it back to0 the plane.
So far looks like we were right , there IS interest.....our question answered.Now just to see how appetising it is to further persue.:-D

There is no question in my mind that there are enough potential customers out there to make this a viable idea.

05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
I like the idea, I have zero knowlage of the north reguarding hunting. And i have looked at all these threads in this place wanting like mad to go do that stuff.
And if i ever got to do it,,,, Maybe a canoe trip up a hill behind a horse Like PG66 Said he'd do for Hermit would be the memory of a lifetime!!!

check yes, i'd do it
Funny thing is this is exactly how id like to hunt the north, A guy providing the gear and saying "Go that way" and me getting to hunt the moose'es. I love calling the moose'es and to have someone doing it for me would drive me bonkers! but helping me carry it back is good!

steepNdeep
05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds DELUXE!! If I hadn't spent that much on a tropical fishing trip this year, I might be able to get it past the wife... I think there will be a good demand for resident trips of this type. Good luck!

Manglinmike
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Well it sounds like just the ticket to me my hunting partner now works for me and we no longer do our two week trips up north so this would be perfect. Please keep me in the loop via pm thanks manglinmike

Iron Glove
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime - would love to take the son and son-in-law on something like this before I get too old and weary.
Make sure there's some decent fly fishing too and it's a deal. :)

luckynuts
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
I think it's an excellant concept. Barry Tompkins was giving a reduced rate for resident elk hunters at a 3000.00 per person included cabin, food, guide who did all or most of the work on horseback. Again this was 5-6 years ago though I had heard the price had gone way up?

If a guy wants to go on a remote mountain hunting trip it's going to cost him minimum 1500- 1800 bucks for a flight in and back providing he is taking out the meat, he does all the work himself and eats freeze dried. Split that with a partner and it costs you minimum 900 though most likely only one of you is bringing back an animal as 2 animals will usually require a bigger plane = more money unless it's sheep. Again all depending on how much you weigh and the person flying you in. Like Steve said having some one show you this trail, that valley saves you valuable time, energy and frustration (though that is one reason i love it, Challenges)

Also for a guy that is thinking about a remote trip this would be ideal at getting your first taste at what it's like with having someone you could trust with ya just in case it went sideways. You have to remember there is a lot of folk that want to try it but don't have the confidence or committment level to do it themselves. Shit i will do it just for the comradre around the campfire. Whiskey or Scotch?

Would be not much different than using riverjet adventures though you could hunt super light coming back to a nice warm campfire, yummy supper on the table, Gates in his pink Tutu waiting under the covers:-D:lol:

Take it to the next level Boys

W.

MuleyMadness
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Great concept guys, again I think it's a winner. The more I read the thread though, the more what I like about it comes out. For me, because you are supplying and transporting the food, camping gear, and some of the packing equipment, that leaves us so much more weight capacity for meat and antlers on the plane...and that to me right there, is worth the price of admission...the professional guide and professional chef part is really icing on the cake. It enables people who would lack the confidence to do this type of hunt on their own the first time to do it, and as hunters and outdoorsmen, it's always good to see people experiencing new things and new types of hunting. Great idea, and as long as it's professionally managed, I can't imagine it not being an outright success, while allowing you two to both live the kind of lives you obviously enjoy so much.

Not too often someone comes up with an idea as unique and full of potential as this one...and while I know it's not your main focus, don't neglect to think of spring/summer campers and fishermen who may very well keep you guys busier than you ever thought you could be, when you came up with this idea.

Good luck guys.

finngun
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
lucynuts---I think it's an excellant concept. Barry Tompkins was giving a reduced rate for resident elk hunters at a 3000.00 per person included cabin, food, guide who did all or most of the work on horseback. Again this was 5-6 years ago though I had heard the price had gone way up?/////

here is one example about pricing...yes old...but how much those trips--around 7 days cost average today...with guide and full meals-fligths incl.? are they closer 10 grand? just my idea...thanx..

pit bull
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
just wondering what game mu is this tentatively in?

Kudu
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
great Idea - keep me informed once you have the specics sorted out.

BillyBull
06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
This is a great idea almost to great but really like to see where it gets to down the road... keep the updates coming.

Bisonfirst
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM

I am sitting here wondering if you guys were talking with hitch at that greasy breakfast? I have been looking for this exact service.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Considering a day of Hali fishing is minimaly 250 plus accomidations transport etc... for Under 4 grand to spend a week in an area I dont know, flown in and out, fed like a King,Housed and help to hump a trophy sized critter out ... well worth it

All I need is some clothes and weapons???

Yep ... well worth it

lemme know ...

Wild Images
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Time spent with these two in the bush would be priceless, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone I know
Just for shits and giggles might even have to spend a week on the porch with them one day

Phil
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Sounds great! I'd go for a trip like that some time.

boxhitch
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
fed like a King,...That might be a stretch

lightmag
06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
i would totally be into something like that :)

Phreddy
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a definite add-on to my bucket list. Would try to get the boys to join me if it happened. Great idea Gate.

luckynuts
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
lucynuts---I think it's an excellant concept. Barry Tompkins was giving a reduced rate for resident elk hunters at a 3000.00 per person included cabin, food, guide who did all or most of the work on horseback. Again this was 5-6 years ago though I had heard the price had gone way up?/////

here is one example about pricing...yes old...but how much those trips--around 7 days cost average today...with guide and full meals-fligths incl.? are they closer 10 grand? just my idea...thanx..

This was back in 2004. i think in 2006 it went up to around 7500 or so for one person. You also have to take into consideration this was an October hunt and if anybody hunts Elk shooting a 6 point in Oct in the mountains up there = a skimpy rutted out Elk that all of 4 quartes weigh in about 350#:p that you can smell from miles away. Plus don't forget you are tipping the well earned guide. I'm not sure if Barry is offering this anymore. So in reality what PG and Gates have come up with in concept is really a good deal, though I would expect the price to be a bit more.

Though for guys that have done or do this type of hunting, there is no real advantage and definately no cost savings. As we all do this for the simple reason of adventure/escape/challenges. But it would probably be one of the best hunts of your life without a doubt.

W.

vip_ruger
06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Do you fly up north to into remote lakes or would u?

Gateholio
06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Not flying anywhere yet! :)

nature girl
06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
It does sound like a good idea. Especially coming back at the end of a hard day hunting and having a personal chef doing the cooking. Hope it works out for you and Proguide. It seems like a good price.

John P
06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Im in this would be perfect you could almost afford to take the wife and kid.

bearhunter338-06
06-07-2011, 10:47 AM
The more I think about this concept the more I like it, I just have one question that keeps popping into my mind. Will the cabin have a porch with rocking chair, over looking a lake/river. I'd pay just to sit on the porch and rock back and forth.............ohhhhhhhhh the relaxation............count me in..........:-)

The Silent Stalker
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Giver Gatehouse! Me and some boys in Squamish would love it. I'm in, let me know the logistics are finalized and when I give a deposit and book my week.

71_camaro
06-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I could do even without the cabins but you can't have too many guys at one lake over a few years (assuming good numbers.)
If you had alternate lakes (probably in the same vacinity.)keep the picky ones and the older ones in the cabins.
GREAT concept in bc. Couldn't be done by better guy's. This is one service not really offered to Residents here that i know of.this is how most canadian hunters would prefer to do things i think. certainly me! do it yourself with a little help,and Guidance if needed. Good luck but be aware of the future economy in 2-5 years