PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Bear Meat Quality?

Ike
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

I was reading a bit on parasites last night and one comment was that spring bears are more likely to be infested than fall bears.

I haven't run across this myself but since there have been a lot of spring bears taken here I thought I would ask what the overall meat quality is like.

Has anyone run across a wormy/infested bear or is it all good?

Cheers

Stone Sheep Steve
05-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I "think" once bears get worms the don't get rid of them. No vet offering de-worming pills in the bush.

SSS

05-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Maybe there is a homeopathic remady out there :)

Steeleco
05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Agree with SSS, that said I've only ever had to deal with one bear that I couldn't eat. We've done LOTS of bear in the shed.

Ike
05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I can't remember my parasitology well enough to know the answer to SSS's comment, so I guess I am really asking how prevalent worms are in bear meat?

(The only animal I have seen with worms was a mule deer.)

Thanks and Cheers

Steeleco
05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I can't remember my parasitology well enough to know the answer to SSS's comment, so I guess I am really asking how prevalent worms are in bear meat?

(The only animal I have seen with worms was a mule deer.)

Thanks and Cheers

In the past 5 years since I outfitted my shed to cut game, there's likely been 30 or so bears in there from one friend or another. Only ONE had any issues with edibility. That is the one in my avatar and now lives on my wall. The meat was green and stunk like nothing else. Even Ray Wiens gagged when he fleshed out the feet for my rug. It had a few worms but that wasn't all that was wrong with it. The yotes up Sylvester Road got that boy. All the rest were clean and tasty.