PDA

View Full Version : What have you found?

Shop Lord
08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I thought it may be interesting to see what people have found in the bush. I've found an old gravesite, numerous arrowheads and a couple years ago I found a 22 rimfire. I took the rifle home and cleaned it up and accually got it to fire. It was in pretty rough shape when I found it, must have been there for a couple of years. I kept it for about a year but didn't have any room for it in my safe so I turned it in to the R.C.M.P. Turns out it was registered and returned to the owner. The cop said the owner was super happy to get it back. At least theres one positive for registration! What have you found?

Schmaus
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I found an old rusty bone handled knife. I tried to clean it up but it was too far gone. I eventually threw it out.

Gateholio
08-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Grow Ops!:lol:

Old tiny trappers cabins all coveredin moss are always cool, too:lol:

elkster
08-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I found a leather shell case with 10 308 mag shells in it. We stumbled across a latourneau terrain clearer up near chetwynn. It is the same as the one on the way into Mackenize. Also up near deep lake just outside of Strathcona park we found an old multiwire log hauler. Its surprising what you stumble on buried in the bush.

bsa30-06
08-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I've found lots of old logging materials (cable , spools etc.). Dont these guys have to clean up after themselves?I've also found a couple old destroyed cars pushed into the bush.If you go out around harrison you can find old deep freezes, fridges , and stoves laying in the bush.

ruger#1
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
i found alot of good hunting and fishing areas in the bush, lots of old bottles, a mag flashlight, and a old trappers cabin.

LeverActionJunkie
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
I've found deer, bears, grouse coyotes, frindges, old bottles Marijuana operations, Marijuana growers, you know the usual BC critters.

livingston
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Just last weekend I found a trail that was pretty much unmarked and not on any maps that led to ww2 plane crash from 1944 there was aluminum bits spread all over the forest. It was also the official grave site of the pilots.

Ozone
08-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Sheds, shell casings, knife, but last year I found a partily inflated ballon, one of the shiny ones, with Japanese writing one it. Do you think it could of floated over?

FlyingHigh
08-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I found a volcanic-like rock up in the hills behind Loon Lake near Cache Creek. Funny thing is, there's no volcanoes around there. And the rock was on the surface in a growed in depression...space rock?????

outdooorsman
08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
hills above loon lake are all volcanic... in the old burn areas where the soil has been burned off you can find some of it. seems like a wierd place for it

3kills
08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
flyinghigh u could be right....did u look into and make sure there wasnt a volcano there once before?

livingston i would like to here more bout the planes....

ruger#1
08-15-2006, 06:55 PM
http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/ check this site out 3Kills , you will find some interesting things all around BC

livingston
08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
3kills

The crash site I found was up in behind Cowichan lake.I was scouting area for blacktail and just driving and checking area.At the very end of a cut block were the road stopped in pretty much the middle of nowhere, there was a small sign marking the trail.I hiked up only about 15 min and there was a plaque and a larger sign showing the type of plane and the cause of the crash and who died, it was only because of local loggers that they knew where the plane had gone down.There was debris scattered everywhere.I checked and found this site

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/19wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=79&id=404

Wildman
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
I've found lots of old logging materials (cable , spools etc.). Dont these guys have to clean up after themselves?I've also found a couple old destroyed cars pushed into the bush.If you go out around harrison you can find old deep freezes, fridges , and stoves laying in the bush.

Most of us do clean up after ourselves these days. Not all loggers leave a mess in the bush.

I have found old logging equiptment (60+years). Bottles, a really old sink on top of mountian in what I thought was an untouched remote valley, mineral claim posts dating back to 1908, many native barial sites, caves........

quadrakid
08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
if anybody finds a nice leather bottomed northface pack with a beatifull buck knife and a diamond stone on the side of mt mye in the yukon its mine! coolest thing i,ve found was a nice spotting scope on the side of the road. unfortunately i was able to find owners and return it, also found a passport in the bush,strange.

sealevel
08-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I found a puma knife not to far from sparwood while hunting.But spending my life as a faller and hunter i have found every thing from old falling axes lots of traps a stolen car found a trappers cabin with the last date carved in the door was 1923 my partner found human bones. Down in the slocan country i have found old wheelbarrels a mule shoe all kinds of stuff left by the silver miners.

Marc
08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
This spring while hunting with Hunter1947 I found a buck folding knife next to a couple of spent 338 Win Mag casings:biggrin: Thank you who ever you are for leaving me that gift. Then the following weekend I'm hunting in a different area with K-1 and I find a ceramic knife sharpener next to what we suspect to be a bear gut pile not much there to tell what it was. It's nice for you guys to leave me stuff so I don't feel so bad for not shooting a bear. Then a couple weekends later I get to use the knife and the sharpener on two bears we shot in the span of an hour and a half.:biggrin:

OK for all of you on the Island the next thing I need is a spotting scope :biggrin:

300H&H
08-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Some of the things Ive found ... 3 weather baloons, a old (1950's) dump site, old cabins, old bottles, grow op, old mines & camps, garbage !!!, lots of beer cans/ pop bottles (the garbage & cans/bottles I try to bring out), but mostly I find "a good time".

huntwriter
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
This spring while hunting with Hunter1947 I found a buck folding knife next to a couple of spent 338 Win Mag casings:biggrin: Thank you who ever you are for leaving me that gift. Then the following weekend I'm hunting in a different area with K-1 and I find a ceramic knife sharpener next to what we suspect to be a bear gut pile not much there to tell what it was. It's nice for you guys to leave me stuff so I don't feel so bad for not shooting a bear. Then a couple weekends later I get to use the knife and the sharpener on two bears we shot in the span of an hour and a half.:biggrin:

OK for all of you on the Island the next thing I need is a spotting scope :biggrin:
Now that is what I call a lucky hunter.:lol:

rocksteady
08-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Din't find it hunting, but when I was working...Still a good find though.....

Was working in Port McNeill, but was in a fly camp at Pack Lake administering a brushing contract. Had Camp all set up , built a lean to type outhouse etc......Were there for about 10 days or so and the outhouse was getting really smelly, so wandered off behind it to take a leak, and there were about 6 cases of old dynamite sitting there....:shock: :shock:

Took serial numbers and brand names from the boxes and they sent the RCMP bomb guys out of Campbell River to dispose of it...They poured gas on it and lit it on fire....

I guess its very common on some of the old coastal boat access only logging shows. It was easier to just leave it than to take it back out when they were done logging/blasting....

huntersdad
08-16-2006, 07:41 AM
While hunting with the old man we came across some cables hanging down from the high side of the road. Thats not all that unusual but they turned out to be a complete set of guy wires and rigging from a yarder. We reported the find and were compensated very well. It turns out the yarder was higher in elevation than usual when a snow storm came in and started to dump. The foreman said move it out so they dropped everything. The yarder was retired that spring and the rest of the equiptment was forgot.

endtimerwithabow
08-16-2006, 07:52 AM
if you find a suitcase full of $100 bill its mine, bin lookn for it for a long long time:mrgreen: ! PM me when found!

bighornbob
08-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Through work and hunting, I have found many things. Up in Atlin I found an cabin (from the early 80's). There was a box wrapped in a garbage bag so I opened it up. Inside was about 8 sticks of dynamite the size of paper towel rolls. I packed it back up and left. Later that week while hiking up a gully I slipped on what I thought was a rock which turned our to be a burlap sack half buried in the ground. It contained about a dozen smaller dynamite sticks and some cord which I assume was detonation cord. The sticks were basically destroyed as they were soggy and from my boot grinding into it.

In the slocan I found an old logging truck (I assume) from the 50's. Also found a old dented aluminum lunch kit with a name scratched on the bottom. Later that day ran into a old guy cutting fire wood. He said he used to log up up there in the 50's. We asked if he recognized the name on lunch kit. He said it was from a guy that had the timber cutting rights beside his. He started telling us about this guy and it was kind of cool to here about this guy.

Found an old shake axe in the middle of a creek while I was surveying it.

Also found old cabins, small mine carts, old bottles, a new hunting knife, a few stolen, beat to hell, new pickups, grow ops or the signs of previous grow ops.

BHB

mainland hunter
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
i found a leatherman in its case while hunting up in pemberton, i was gonna buy one before i went and then just stumbled onto one

Murder
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I once found an old plane wreck on consttuton hill in the comox valley. I know nothing more about it, and didnt see any identifiable markings. never did report it, it looked at least 50 years old. None of the pieces much bigger than a couple feet. Found lots of live ammo. 5 bucks last night at my hunting spot in a matter of 10 minutes. Also found grow ops and old grow ops. And old bottles, and cables etc.

Fred
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Since I spend a lot of time in the bush either prospecting or salvaging I have found a lot of the same things as you guys. About the strangest,or most out of place item, was a payphone in the middle of darned near nowhere jusy lieing on the ground under a hydroline. Fred

Jelvis
08-16-2006, 05:08 PM
I found two different spots where someones loved ones put up a stainless steel memorial on a bigger tree. It said their father took himself and his sons to the spot. His favorite hunting spot over 60 years of hunting. I found it right where i saw deer walked over and there it was about 10 ft off the ground. one said My dads ashes are spread in the wind here my dads favorite hunting spot. Both in same area.

ianwuzhere
08-16-2006, 08:40 PM
a tree near a secluded lake that had spent 303 shells tapped into it and engraved into the tree was 1954 and some peoples initials.

youngfellla
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Knives, ammo belts, cheap binocs, lots of things like that.:)

Last time we were in Atlin hunting, we took a few extra days to go exploring. Since it was a major gold rush site there are old miners cabins, old placer operations, shaft mines,etc. Lots of neat old things laying in the hills around Surprise Lake. Also a couple Army 6x6's that were parked way up on the mountain after the engines had blown from the steep climbs8-)

coaster
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Ahbou lake country, 1956 while hunting I came across an old fallen down leanto , it was up against a bluff, while pokeing around I found an old rusty double barrel shotgun and a gold scale in a bamboo case, they were all wrapped up in canvas. There was some old chinese liquer bottles and some glass viles with some stuff in them. I will try and scan the gold scales and see if I can post it..