PDA

View Full Version : 3D shoots

blackwater moose
05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
as a newb at 3D, what should i expect at an event and what should i bring with me, besides a bow and arrows. any insight would be helpful

Ambush
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
You should expect to have fun.
You should bring about $50 in cash, bug dope, arrow puller, pens for scoring, binos, snacks and a water bottle, comfy hiking boots, ball hat for shooting into the sun and a relaxed attitude.

Bow Walker
05-26-2011, 08:25 PM
A lot of guys/girls pack a lunch rather than buy either hot dogs or burgers. Pack some water to drink, a few extra nocks, a set of Allen keys (for your bow), and you're good to go.

There are generally 20 targets in the morning shoot, and then a break for lunch, and then 20 more targets in the afternoon portion of the day. Most clubs have their shoot organizing team go out and change the shooting stakes at lunch time just to make it more interesting for the afternoon round - different distances.

Almost always there is a "prize table" where donations are displayed for raffling off either at the end of the day's shooting or during the lunch break. You buy raffle tickets when you sign up and pay your shoot fees. Sometimes the host club will give you one raffle ticket when you sign up but not always. It is a good thing for shooters to buy extra raffle tickets to support the local club. It's a way for them to generate income to keep the club going.

When you sign up there is a board where you put your name into a numbered target space. This tells you where to begin the shoot and also who you wi be shooting with - usually 4 or 5 people per target. Form your own group(s) and fill in the appropriate space on the board - or just join an existing group.

It's a whole lot of fun and enjoyment and it also tests your skills - great target practice and also very good hunting practice.

blackwater moose
05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
how many arrows would you carry with you? how many arrows are shot at each target?

Bow Walker
05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I forgot the bug spray. Much needed at this time of year.

The number of arrows you carry depends on your confidence level. Are you a good shot? Can you judge yardage? If the answer is yes to those questions then you only need to carry about three arrows.

I generally carry at least six arrows.

You shoud also bring some sort of arrow lube. Makes removal from the targets much, much easier. A bottle of Woddy's Arrow Lube, a bar of bath soap, or something like that will work just fine.

A hat to shade your eye is also a must.

Expect to have a ball, because you will.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-26-2011, 10:00 PM
walk .. shoot one arrow per target .. walk to the next one .... expect a round of 20 targets to be the same time as a round of golf on a par 56 course ... 2-2.5 hours for compounders .... trad guys are like ninjas .... in and out in half that time ...

Bow Walker
05-26-2011, 11:42 PM
walk .. shoot one arrow per target .. walk to the next one .... expect a round of 20 targets to be the same time as a round of golf on a par 56 course ... 2-2.5 hours for compounders .... trad guys are like ninjas .... in and out in half that time ...
We're sometimes a bit different here on the Island Mike. Sometimes the shoots are 2-arrow rounds. :confused:

Second chance if you miss the target altogether. Scoring is half-points on the second arrow, of course. :wink:

Trad guys like ninjas? Not so much. Most of them spend more time behind the targets than they do in front of them. They're always looking for lost arrows. :mrgreen:

Ike
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
If it looks like rain take a plastic bag to keep your scorecards dry.

Don't forget binoculars if they are allowed, and a small emergency toolkit is a great idea. My sight decided to loosen up on me half way through the second day (I had not completely snugged it up).

Take too many arrows rather than too few; my buddy had a terrible weekend and lost/broke 6 or 7 arrows at his first 3D shoot. (ouch).

Arrow lube, arrow lube, arrow lube!!! Your hands, back and shooting partneres will thank you for it.

Good luck and have fun.

Eagle1
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
We're sometimes a bit different here on the Island Mike. Sometimes the shoots are 2-arrow rounds. :confused:

Second chance if you miss the target altogether. Scoring is half-points on the second arrow, of course. :wink:

Trad guys like ninjas? Not so much. Most of them spend more time behind the targets than they do in front of them. They're always looking for lost arrows. :mrgreen:

Most of the time I use only one arrow, but I take about 6 cause if you put it in the 11 ring sooner or later some one is going to hit your arrow and possably break it.
Trad guys, don't you mean " rototiller bows" cause behind the target it looks like a rototiller was there when they dig it up looking for all their arrows. LOL : }