PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio Area Of Chetwynd?

30-06
05-26-2011, 07:34 PM
hello all , im looking for some info on the del rio area of chetwynd? iv never hunted it before but the fellas i hunt with went there last year with success and want to go back , so im looking for some help information on elk and moose hunting in the area , any info would be much appreciated Thanks in advance!

moosinaround
05-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Very busy area! Lots of hunters, but lots of elk. Sucks when it rains, but usually if you can put in 10 days of hunting, you can bag an elk. Just be careful when you hear a bull bugling, it may be another hunter! I like early season up there myself, catch the last 5 days of any bull moose, and the first 5 days of elk season. Moosin

Pioneerman
05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
I used to hunt there for many years. We stopped when the hunters were more than the hunted lol .The first year I hunted there I came around the corner and saw a camp with 10 moose hanging and 11 guys in camp. They had only been there three days, it was moose a plenty there. We saw more moose the south end and more deer and elk north end. Nice country depening on how much logging is going on.

Good luck

elkdom
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
there are more "drilling rigs" and "pipe-liners" and O&G construction workers, than elk and moose,,,

and there are more "hunters" than drilling rigs",,,etc,etc,

buckhunter
05-26-2011, 11:06 PM
lots of moose,elk,and bear up there. you should have a good chance getting one.

Caveman
05-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Not as many moose as you think.The tick kill a few years ago really took a toll.They are on the comeback but it wouldn't be my first choice for moose.Elk seem to be around though last year few people were getting them, while i was in the area

vip_ruger
05-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Grew up there and always send all the out of town hunters there opening day of moose is great have bagged a couple there on the 15 and there are some big elk shot ever year in there lots of hunting pressure

mark
05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
there are more "drilling rigs" and "pipe-liners" and O&G construction workers, than elk and moose,,,

and there are more "hunters" than drilling rigs",,,etc,etc,

Unfortunately this is true, while theres always been lots of hunters up there, the oil & gas people and loggers have swarmed the area pretty good!

The plus side is, with all the road development, you can now get a 45' motorhome almost anywhere....dont laugh, ive seen it in recent years!

lots of moose,elk,and bear up there. you should have a good chance getting one.

The moose situation up there has seen WAY better times!!!!!

Frango
05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
The elk in my avatar is from the del rio area. We hunted there for 3 years. We dont hunt there anymore as it became way to crowded after the 6 point rule was dropped..There where hunters at every corner on every road and camped behind most trees. I met Mark(tick magnet) there about 4 years ago (the last time we hunted there) and I recall the conversation was about too many hunters then. I don't think it would have gotten any better.

fearless
05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
you could set up a corner store and do well.

The Dawg
05-28-2011, 08:05 PM
you can now get a 45' motorhome almost anywhere....dont laugh, ive seen it in recent years!

The moose situation up there has seen WAY better times!!!!!

Agree with Mark. Saw a couple of motorhomes last year there, including one that was stuck in their 'camp' for a couple days as the roads had become slick.

Only ever seen one moose there, and it wasnt in legal season.