PDA

View Full Version : Goodby to great cougar hound

houndsman
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I just finised burying my old Blue tick hound Scout .I got him through a frend in Golden .The guy had called him target for the white spot on his forehead .Scout was 13 years old & treed 102 cougar in his carreer .Over the years I had to shoot 3 cats with his head in there mouths ,he had meney close calls as do most good hounds .He was a cold nosed open mouthed dog with a great disposition The old timers say not to make a pet of your hound ,NOT SO a dog that loves you will hunt for you. This is the worst part of keeping dogs its hard to let go .He ended up with a tumer in his chest . Im gona miss ya ol boy

05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
They become part of the family, never easy to let them go, sounds like you have lots of good memories though ..........

Condolences ......

CT

375 ultramag
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Sorry for your loss......Sounds like you gave each other a lot of good times.

nolimits
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
My heart goes out to you. Condolences.

Marc
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
It's a hard go having to lose a pet / hunting partner that's been by your side for so long, been there and done it, have another who's reaching 13 and I'm guessing she'll be getting a one way ride to the vet before Christmas comes around.

The longer they live the harder it is when they go, you still have all the memories that you've shared.

theK.G.B
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Mans best friend for a reason. You have my condolences

BlacktailStalker
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hear.
These stinky old hounds sure have a way to get into a guys heart regardless how hard you are.
How about a picture and story of your old friend, in memorial?
Every track ends with a tree where he went and every canyon you ran him in will always have his voice embedded in the rock.

srupp
05-26-2011, 12:24 AM
been through that a few times we know what you are going through...hang in there...it does get somewhat easier..remember the good times...

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Houndsman sorry to hear about your hunting partner Scout it is never easy to lose a loved one your memories will be with Scout for ever the only good thing about your loss is that he will be with you at all times when your chasing cats bears ,my condolences go out to you..

Jelvis
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear the sad news on Scout houndsman, I too had a wonderful companion pass on.
Jel .. All dogs go to heaven brother ..

NaStY
05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your hound. They do become part of the family......

akyne
05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
It's a cruel trick that an animal with which we form such an intimate bond, has such an abbreviated lifespan, relative to our own. My deepest sympathies, Bud

Foxton Gundogs
05-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I just finised burying my old Blue tick hound Scout .I got him through a frend in Golden .The guy had called him target for the white spot on his forehead .Scout was 13 years old & treed 102 cougar in his carreer .Over the years I had to shoot 3 cats with his head in there mouths ,he had meney close calls as do most good hounds .He was a cold nosed open mouthed dog with a great disposition The old timers say not to make a pet of your hound ,NOT SO a dog that loves you will hunt for you. This is the worst part of keeping dogs its hard to let go .He ended up with a tumer in his chest . Im gona miss ya ol boy

He will be in good company Duke, Moose, Molly to name a few ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN! Hurts but hte memories are like starlight they go on for ever. Sympathy for your loss remember the goodtimes.

porcupine
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss and sincere condolances. What a great dog who lived life well.

newhunterette
05-26-2011, 09:58 AM
my condolences to the loss of your Scout.

I share this poem with you.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

sir_brady
05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
sorry to hear about Scout. you should post some of your NUMEROUS stories about him.

SHAKER
05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Tough loose'n an good hound, not look'n forward to my day to loose my old girl. Impressively he got to do 103 cats so he got to live his life for what he was born for. So good on ya for that.

houndsman
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your thoughts frends it means alot to me ,especially the poem that i will keep with apicture of him at the tree .I have 3 yong dogs out him to keep his blood line going. thanks again.

Philcott
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Houndsman,

Sorry to hear of you good friends passing. It sounds like you had a good run together.

Every track ends with a tree where he went and every canyon you ran him in will always have his voice embedded in the rock.

These are very nice words that remind me of Norman McLeans ending of "A River Runs Through It" "under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

doubled
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Tough thing to do. I dread the day it will be my turn with my pooch. Remember those days when you came home and he was waiting for you tail wagging!!!

blueboy
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Houndsman : you will see your true friend again sorry for your loss