PDA

View Full Version : alpine blacktail

brian
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
This year I am planning an alpine Blacktail hunt. I've been reading a great book on Alpine Mule Deer hunting recommended by some of the people here (Eastman's High Country Mule Deer). I was wondering how applicable most of this advice would be towards alpine Blacktail's? What would be the major differences in behaviour between the the two species?

proguide66
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd suggest climbing up there and let the deer start the teaching , works for me! I'm guessing the deer will be doin more or less the same shit...only the blacktails wont be slippin up as often as the mulies!:-P:mrgreen:

dana
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I have talked to guys in the states that have done very well hunting blacktails in the alpine and they pretty much hunt them the same way as muleys. The key is preseason scouting. Locate the bucks before the season and come back on opener and kill em.

Salty
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
What would be the major differences in behaviour between the the two species?

Mule deer bound. Blacktail slink. I think you see or hear most mule deer that bust you but lots of blacktails slip away that you never new were there. $.02

Big Lew
05-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Mule deer bound. Blacktail slink. I think you see or hear most mule deer that bust you but lots of blacktails slip away that you never new were there. $.02
Right on the money! I've watched blacktail bucks hunker down to half their normal height as they slunk out of fern thickets....you would swear they were crawling on their knees. I've also had them stand underneath low hanging ceder branches very close to me, always turning toward me as they kept track of me. They're the masters of "slink and sneak."

hunter1947
05-26-2011, 02:00 AM
I would head up into the alpine for a few trips in Aug for 4 days at a time or even more if you can and have a good look over the area if you find the bucks there they will be there for the opening season of rifle you will have the upper hand over them by doing this early season scouting and the best thing doing this you will know if there there or not..

5 spike
05-26-2011, 05:30 AM
I would head up into the alpine for a few trips in Aug for 4 days at a time or even more if you can and have a good look over the area if you find the bucks there they will be there for the opening season of rifle you will have the upper hand over them by doing this early season scouting and the best thing doing this you will know if there there or not..

like wayne said locate early. then LEAVE THEM ALONE until opening day. cant wait.

brian
05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
I wish I could scout this area in August but family obligations won't let me get out for any over nighters until hunting season (I basically have a choice scout or hunt). So unfortunately I will have to go into it a little blind. But I figure if nothing else I can always use this trip for scouting next year, and at the very least I will simply spend a couple days camping with a rifle in the sub alpine glassing for deer that aren't there. Either way it still sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips!