PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear European Mount.

CurryNV
05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey...

Shot a bear on Sunday. Have the head in a deep freeze. Anybody know how to boil one out? I've heard not to boil as it locks some of the fat in, and then others say that the hydrogen peroxide solution at the end may turn the bones flaky and crispy. Anybody done one of these? Anybody know of a different way outside of "burying"?

Much appreciated.

Ddog
05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
wrong, the hydrogen peroxide solution is the one you want, its bleach that turns the skull flaky and chalky if used in the wrong amounts.
As for boiling, it will shrink the skull a wee bit if you are worried about getting it scored, it removes the fat, i have never heard of it actually locking the fat in.
there is alot of different ways of doing, letting it sit outside and the flies do their job, tying it an ant hill, letting the elements take care of it. these just all take more time than boiling it.

sarg
05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
if u have time, fill a 5g bucket up will creek water throw the skull (cut as much meat off as u can)in it and let it sit for 7 month with the lid on, it sure stinks when u open it but it sure works good,
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=457592807399&set=a.457592582399.245106.629987399&type=1 (mine from last spring)

boothcreek
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
at work we boil them with a spoonful of oxiclean and salt. Then afterwards we cover it in peroxide for a couple days then wash it off and its a nice white skull.

dana
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Pour a cap full of liquid laundry soap in the boiling water. Keeps the skull from getting that yellow look from fat and marrow.

Ambush
05-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't actually boil the head, just simmer it for an hour. Then take off as much meat as possible with a knife, srcewdriver and a wire brush. Dump the water.
Simmer again this time with a couple tablespoons of dishwasher soap and TSP powder. Repeat one more time, so simmering three times. Hose it off and give it the peroxide treatment untill as white as you like it.
Be sure to blast the brains out of it. I find it helpfull to remove the ear canals. Stick a srewdriver in them and wiggle them loose.
Be sure to put a rack under the skull to keep it off the botton so it doesn't scorch.

Then post a pic of your handy work.

BiG Boar
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
You can also use flesh eating beetles. I know a guy, PM me if you're interested. Retains more skull size than boiling, which shrinks them.

NaStY
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Ray Wiens taxidermy. He is a site sponsor as well. Does a great job too.......

Barracuda
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Ive often wondered how much it shrinks it by. A 1/4 up to 3/4 of an inch seems pretty common .
Im in the process of decideing what i wanna do with the G bear i have? I boiled the shit outta a good size one i have and it shrunk a bit.

I was gonna have the G bear skull boiled but i was waiting for another measureing first.
I have an adult seasoned and dry BB skull here i wonder if i should do an experiment and see how much i can shink it by??? if i cant shrink an allready dry skull then ???

TSW
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I boiled a skull once and thought it would be a fun project...nope! NASTY and time consuming! It's a tedious job trying to get all those little bits and pieces out of the skull. These tips sound great and all, and don't get me wrong, if you've never tried it, go for it...but as for me, I'll never boil another skull again. It's well worth the money to get someone else to do it in my opinion!

bighornbob
05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Its quite easy to do, Follow these steps:

Take as much meat off as possible (eyes, tongue, jaw muscles, brain etc). For brains, I take a piece of coat hanger and make a small bend in one end then place other into a drill. It purees the brain nicely and it just pours out the skull:)

Simmer for about an hour with some dish washing soap. Once done take pot off the heat and let the skull cool with the water. I find this keeps the teeth from cracking.

Once cool use a pressure washer and blast the rest of the meat off. A word of caution where some rain pants and jacket:)

At this stage it will be pretty clean. With bears they hold a lot of fat in the skull and it will slowly leach out over years. A lot of the Pros will now let the skull soak in warm water with dish washing soap for about a week. This will draw out all the fat. To keep the water warm for the week people use an aquarium heater ($20).

Once done use a commercial grade peroxide to get as white as you want.

The key to all of this is the boiling and the pressure washer, makes the work pretty easy.

BHB

Gateholio
05-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Anyone know a source of commercial peroxide? Preferably in the lower mainland area?

bighornbob
05-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Anyone know a source of commercial peroxide? Preferably in the lower mainland area?

I know some of the beauty salon supply shops carry it.

RiverOtter
05-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Salons and Taxi's have it. I've heard it is controlled and they have to keep account of what they have/use. The taxi I get mine from I've known for a long time and he won't just sell it to anyone.