PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineering/Hiking backpack vs Hunting backpack

Livinlarge
05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I have been researching backpacks and need more info before making a decision. My question is:

What are the pros and cons of using a Mountaineering pack (Arcteryx Bora 95) over a dedicated "hunting" backpack?

I've read that people do use packs such as an Arcteryx Bora 95 for hike in hunts and do pack out meat with it. I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new Arcteryx Bora 95 for $300 (regular price $500).

-Should I look at getting a hunting pack that has features that include specific hunting features (eg. spot for your rifle) or go with the Arcteryx?

-For $300 what kind of hunting pack would I get?

Any info would be much appreciated!

troutseeker
05-25-2011, 12:30 PM
That Bora 95 is a great pack at a great deal. If it fits, I'd consider it. Getting a "hunting"pack will cost you twice more for the same quality and features.

Nothing wrong wit not having a camo pack and the rifle is usually carried or strapped to the pack anyways.

muledeercrazy
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
doesnt kifaru make a gun carrier you can strap onto the acterx to make it slightly less gay?

Livinlarge
05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
That would be a bonus!! Wouldn't want to look too gay while I'm hunting!:)

Buck
05-25-2011, 02:25 PM
That pack and the Osprey Argon packs are rated to carry around 75 pounds.They are very comfortable with 50 lbs but with 100 plus the suspension starts to break down.Which is why i ordered the Mystery Ranch Kodiak good to 120lbs.But if your young and in shape you probably won't have an issue with the weight on the pack out.

Iron Sighted
05-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I recently was in the same boat as you. I was able to find an Eberlestock Dragonfly J-107 for $325, that had been used once for a few hours. If you look around, you may be able to find a similar deal. That said, I gather that most who use the Arcteryx are quite happy with it, I'd imagine you will be too. If you can, try the pack on first with some weight in it to see if it fits you comfortably. Sounds like a good deal to me at $300, down from $500 regularly. Good luck with whatever you buy, hopefully you will get to see how it fits when loaded with meat.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-25-2011, 04:50 PM
external frame pacs are unbeatable for carrying heavy weights / internal frame pacs are more suited to mountaineering due to there smaller slimmer profile.

speaking from much experience.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Arcteryx is the best non hunting pack on the market . i have the older 80 and its the best . i have used it for many different hunts . you can go wrong to pick up a 95 for 300 .. just to have as a extra pack. im looking for one myself ..lol.. as much as id love to have M.R. price is aa factor , Acteryx Products are the best .And there is a good spot for your Rifle . on the side where there is pole holders . they work really good .

wiggy
05-25-2011, 08:16 PM
external frame period

BromBones
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
My brother uses a Bora & it's been a great pack for him. I've seen him stuff some very heavy loads of caribou meat & cape/rack onto that pack, he says it handles the weight pretty good for an internal. They are quality packs and for $300 I'd scoop it up.

Gateholio
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't turn down a pack because it didn't' have "hunting" features like a rifle sling or game bag. I'd just make sure it is good to carry 100+ lbs for when you need to pack out meat. The Mystery Ranch that I own doesn't have any rifle bearer, but I attached a Kifaru gun sling to it. Get a couple of the top straps, since they can break if you get hung up badly.

TSW
05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a good deal on a great pack. One of the good things about those Arcteryx packs is their water repellency...very good. As was already stated, get the Kifaru gun bearer (for alpine use) and you'll be good to go.

vip_ruger
05-26-2011, 01:13 AM
I use a bora and wouldnt go any other way ! and they are light and very tight to your body very nice pack

brian
05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I just picked up a Bora 95 litre about a month ago, I was walking to work with about 75 lbs in the pack and it felt great (I mean great in the respect that you are still carrying 75 pounds but it could suck a lot more with a worse pack). Fits me like a glove.

Livinlarge
05-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I picked up the Bora 95 the other day. Brand new with tags came to $330 ish with taxes. I purchased it from the Arcteryx factory warehouse in North Vancouver. There was one left in the short size if anyone is interested. Apparently the pack I got is a discontinued color thats why they were blowing them out. Seems really well made and cant wait to load it up and put it to the test!

Alpine Addict
05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I've carried 104 lbs In an arcteryx 95 for 6 hours. Not Fun but worked great. With that much weight every pack will be uncomfortable. Great packs in my opinion

Buck
05-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I've carried 104 lbs In an arcteryx 95 for 6 hours. Not Fun but worked great. With that much weight every pack will be uncomfortable. Great packs in my opinion

Well there you have it .I tried both the Arcteryx Altra and Osprey Argon they both carry the weight on the hips feel real good with a slight edge going to the Osprey for me.I ordered the Mystery Ranch Kodiak Internal and if it doesn't ride as good as those others back it goes.Another pack to consider is the Kuiu Icon 6000 i think it was designed by the same people that do Arcteryx very light with the carbon fibre frame and the suspension is good for over 100lbs.

Timberjack
05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
I have been researching backpacks and need more info before making a decision. My question is:

What are the pros and cons of using a Mountaineering pack (Arcteryx Bora 95) over a dedicated "hunting" backpack?

I've read that people do use packs such as an Arcteryx Bora 95 for hike in hunts and do pack out meat with it. I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new Arcteryx Bora 95 for $300 (regular price $500).

-Should I look at getting a hunting pack that has features that include specific hunting features (eg. spot for your rifle) or go with the Arcteryx?

-For $300 what kind of hunting pack would I get?

Any info would be much appreciated!

As I've stated on here before - the Arcteryx product can't be beat. I've got a bora and have no trouble fitting two elk front quarters and the loins/backstraps in one load. Well over 100 lbs and no problem. Alpine mulie and goat plus all your gear - no problem. The outer pocket is great for wet items like raingear and tent fly, and also good for items you don't want to mix with the rest of your gear like stove gas.. Also the newer boras have two water bottle holders either side of the pack at the bottom - one for your water bottle and one fo your rifle - it's like they were designed for a rifle to be put on the side....

Anyway I'm a huge fan - you can't go wrong regardless of the price!

TJ