PDA

View Full Version : Two bears in one week, don't know what I'll do until September!

Surrey Boy
05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry to brag, but I'm awfully proud of myself. Went out with two sets of hunting buddies, scored both times. Nice little cinnamon guy last Wednesday, and a more substantial black one Friday. My arms are sore from grinding hamburger (I'm a bachelor, and that's how I eat it) and I'm setting about tanning the hides soon. My Ford Festiva did great on the logging roads and I'm very grateful to my friends for their help in skinning and carrying carcasses. Much of the meat has been given away to friends and family already and the freezer is full. Good luck to the rest of you in the last month of the spring GOS and I'll be joining you all in the fall for deer. Sorry, but I don't have photos.

nolimits
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Good for you SB. It goes without saying that if you are lucky, you are lucky. Congrats on both of them.

Man, you don't even know how much it makes me want to go out this weekend and try my luck.

BiG Boar
05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Good work dude! Where are the pictures!!! Congratulations big time! What was the hunt like?

KB90
05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Awesome!

Gotta remember that camera!

I'm trying to get one with my bow, but haven't found much worth shooting, lots of 2 year old dog sized bears. Hoping this weekend will be the one....

ROEBUCK
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
great !
big congrats ! :-D

going out on a hunt tommorow evening for the first time this year ,so hope to have your fortune ! :)

Surrey Boy
05-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, I ought to buy a camera. One day I'll get around to it.

One hunt was more of a scouting trip in preparation for the real hunt, which I still intend to go on to spot, cook, and drive on. I was making my way up a road to see what was around the bend, and there he was, making a manure pile on the road, just looking at me. I looked at him through my scope for a bit with him just staring, and then decided I'd take him so I did.

The other, I and my partner had gone to our first lookout of the day, and with the sun coming up behind me while I lay prone over a ledge, a surprisingly fat bear came out to graze, walking along, and when I realized my partner couldn't see it from his vantage point, I thought I might as well take it, a 250yd shot making jelly out of the heart but not exiting (this shot was amazing to the company I was with). I haven't found either the bullet or exit wound, but I'm sure it'll turn up soon as I'm almost done processing the bear. We gutted it, took it home and skinned it on my picnic table, and put it in my game fridge with the hide in the freezer. After lunch we returned in the hopes that someone else could cut a tag, but it didn't happen.

nolimits
05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
If you don't mind me asking where did you guys go?

Steeleco
05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
If you don't mind me asking where did you guys go?

Mind my ASS!! He's tagged out, do tell. LOL

BTW, congrats MGM

hunter1947
05-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Congrats on the bears now if it was me I would be scouting out areas for Mr big the rest of the summer.

Mik
05-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Congrats on the bears. (You don't even have a cell phone pic?)

killer_shot
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Congrats on filling your tags, but black bear is about the easiest thing to hunt. Now its time for you to graduate to bow hunting. Something a lot more challenging and exciting about sneaking within 40 yards of a predator that could kill you.

Surrey Boy
05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Dewdney - Cedarflat off exit 195 (Caroline Mines) was the vicinity of the larger bear. You've got to do a good amount of walking due to washouts, but I've been lucky there in terms of both bear and deer. The upside is that when I've hiked in I've had the place to myself even on long weekends, which lessens hunting pressure and logically makes for larger, less wary game. The other site will be shown on a map next Wednesday at a Tim Hortons in Cloverdale.

I'm not on bowhunting yet, but I hope to christen my single-shot iron sighted 45-70 this fall, maybe on an island in the pacific.