PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair users just got FAC

Gregt
05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Any ideas or suggestions where IU can go hunting with my buddy(65 years old) around the PG area and still participate in a hunt from my wheelchair. Iam a quadraplegic and would love to participate somhow. Just got my Firearms certificate

.330 Dakota
05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe if you had a quad (4 wheeler) with a backrest and a seatbelt you could cruise the cutblocks and fsr's. I had a buddy that used to do that.

tuffteddyb
05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
i might be mistaken, but i think you can apply for a permit to shoot from a vehicle.
i read it somewhere.probablly best to check with a c/o.
congrats on getting your firearms certificate.

elkdom
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
as long as you have a BC resident hunting license,or your CORE cert,,,,apply immediately with the BC-MOE to get your disabled permit to "shoot a firearm from a motor vehicle", you will need a letter/form filled out from your doctor, start now get paper work from the MOE before Moose/Elk hunting starts in August 2011,
with this permit you can hunt/shoot from within the seat of your vehicle(as long as the ignition of the vehicle is turned off), in any lawful place to discharge firearms and hunt game,
conditionally,while you are actively hunting game by use of this permit, you must be accompanied by someone able to help you with recovery of any wildlife you kill by license,

islander7mm
05-24-2011, 11:14 PM
That awesome! Way to go not letting anything hold you back from doing something you love.
Best of luck to you this season.

Whonnock Boy
05-24-2011, 11:35 PM
as long as you have a BC resident hunting license,or your CORE cert,,,,apply immediately with the BC-MOE to get your disabled permit to "shoot a firearm from a motor vehicle", you will need a letter/form filled out from your doctor, start now get paper work from the MOE before Moose/Elk hunting starts in August 2011,
with this permit you can hunt/shoot from within the seat of your vehicle(as long as the ignition of the vehicle is turned off), in any lawful place to discharge firearms and hunt game,
conditionally,while you are actively hunting game by use of this permit, you must be accompanied by someone able to help you with recovery of any wildlife you kill by license,

X 2. The earlier the better.

There are a couple things that you should know. With the permit, only you and your partner are allowed in the vehicle while actively hunting. They are going to want the vehicle description and license number, as well as the time frame and area you will be hunting. You may be granted special permits for vehicle road closed areas. That decision is made by the MOE on a case by case basis.

Definitely some hoops to jump through that I don't understand. I don't make the rules, I just follow them.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Good for you. I am doing a wheel chair hunt next week with Tred Barta for his tv show. I am using a tracked electric wheel chair it should work well cruising old roads looking to get in range of a black bear with his long bow. Here is the link to these chairs. These things work and look cool as well.
http://www.actiontrackchair.com/ActionTrackChair-Specs/Default.aspx

weatherby_man
05-25-2011, 07:15 AM
X2 on the best of luck to you pursuing this!

chilcotin hillbilly - those action trackers are something else! Let us know how that hunt goes please. My son is in a WC and I have never seen these before. May be something I can consider.

bigwhiteys
05-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I have a friend whom I met last year who is a parapalegic. When I first met him, he was out hunting deer by himself... Would have never known he couldn't walk until he told me... He was riding his quad so it wasn't obvious. He gets around amazingly well and it's inspiring to see that he didn't let his accident get in the way of what he loves to do, HUNT!!!! I have an incredible amount of respect for the guy. He has all the permits to shoot from a vehicle etc... Last year he took an awesome 5x5 blacktail with his crossbow, we've been scouting like mad already for the upcoming deer season.

Good Luck on your journey, Greg!

Carl

500grhollowpoint
05-25-2011, 07:34 AM
That's great. One question, if you are a quad how are you going to use a rifle?

bearhunter338-06
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
My buddies father inlaw had a permit to hunt from a vehicle and hunted from his John Deer lawn tracker until he could afford to buy a quad.

Wheelin Sportsman
05-25-2011, 10:13 AM
As a fellow Quad (C5/6 Myself) learn the art of the call,bring the animals to you! Applying for the permit to shoot from your vehicle is easy,they dont need your vehicle description and stuff unless your applying to a motor vehicle restricted or closed too area,you can use your permit from any vehicle just make sure you have it. I dont know the area around Prince George that well,but im guessing it a little more level and free of tank traps than over here on the Island...a good powerchair well do wonders,like a walk in the bush! What are you using for mobility now?

d6dan
05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Any ideas or suggestions where IU can go hunting with my buddy(65 years old) around the PG area and still participate in a hunt from my wheelchair. Iam a quadraplegic and would love to participate somhow. Just got my Firearms certificate

Glad to see another "Quad" hunting. Apply for a hunting permit. As Elkdom states. I have one and use it. Good luck and have fun.

d6dan
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
That's great. One question, if you are a quad how are you going to use a rifle?

Well, I'm a quad (Incomplete) and have no problem using a rifle.:? You want to go hunting?.

Ddog
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I'd hunt with ya Dan!

d6dan
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd hunt with ya Dan!
Darryl, are we going to hunt from your house or Wayne's camp?:?.

Moose Guide
05-25-2011, 04:33 PM
If you get down to the west koots look me up for a wt. hunt

hunter1947
05-26-2011, 02:08 AM
I hope you do come in for a weeks hunt in my camp this fall ,I have a few spots just for you my friend..