PDA

View Full Version : orphaned cub

new hunter
05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
There's a small black bear cub { knee high } who's been hanging around on Alta lake road here in whistler for several days . Seen him a couple times always by himself and always in the same 20 ft of road . Any idea who to call about orphaned cubs ? I called the c.o.s but after a frustrating exchange with their dispatch I got the message that they weren't gonna do anything .
Is it just me or do they only care about ticketing honest hunters about miner infractions?
Any info about who to call, I thought s.p.c.a. , but I doubt they'd help. I do understand about bear mortality , but I think we'd all prefer if he expired as a trophy adult . Thanks for any info { my wife's real upset}.

KB90
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Any idea who to call about orphaned cubs ? I called the c.o.s but after a frustrating exchange with their dispatch I got the message that they weren't gonna do anything
You've done the right thing, and they have told you thier position.

IMO, there would be no reason to intervene. Nature will do what it needs to do. There are lots of orphaned cubs we can't save all of them, nor should we. I think they would only act is if someone phoned in and said they shot the mother on "accident".

Who knows what happened to this little guy? Another bear killed its mother? hit by a vehicle? It's sad but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Ozone
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I am sure one of the huggers will take it home and raise it as one of there own.

Gateholio
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Just leave it alone and make sure it doesn't have access to garbage.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
A wolf, coyote or cougar will kill it. If it dies of natural causes, the ravens will eat it. Its the cycle of life, accept it.

kootenayelkslayer
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
There's a small black bear cub { knee high } who's been hanging around on Alta lake road here in whistler for several days . Seen him a couple times always by himself and always in the same 20 ft of road . Any idea who to call about orphaned cubs ? I called the c.o.s but after a frustrating exchange with their dispatch I got the message that they weren't gonna do anything .
Is it just me or do they only care about ticketing honest hunters about miner infractions?
Any info about who to call, I thought s.p.c.a. , but I doubt they'd help. I do understand about bear mortality , but I think we'd all prefer if he expired as a trophy adult . Thanks for any info { my wife's real upset}.

Knee high? Sounds like it is a yearling, rather than this years cub? Lots of yearlings will be getting kicked out by mom soon enough with the rut coming up. I saw a loner yesterday already.

KB90
05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Knee high? Sounds like it is a yearling, rather than this years cub.

Yeah, the new cubs are the size of a Chihuahua.

Mr. Dean
05-24-2011, 01:08 PM
More than a fuzz-ball, it's a yearling.
Best not to worry about it no matter the size.

Big Lew
05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
A wolf, coyote or cougar will kill it. If it dies of natural causes, the ravens will eat it. Its the cycle of life, accept it.
Agree, but it is a bit disturbing when you find them that size or smaller hanging out until then, where someone has shot their mother....I know, my Wife and I have come across several that wouldn't leave the blood stain.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I agree big lew.
There was one living on a river bank last fall and partially into the winter in an area I hunt.
I probably missed him for much longer than I knew about him as one time I was driving through with the hounds cat hunting and they blew up and I just caught him boogying away through the slash... he was there every time after that in the exact same spot, literally within a 10' area.
He was maybe 20lbs at best, living on a log jam along a knee deep creek.
I had hoped to drop off the remainder of a quartered carcass of a buck I was looking for but never found him... I did give him probably a dozen or more lunches though!
Last time I saw him was the second week of december in 4" of snow.... like to think he crawled under some logs and pulled through but he obviously never had the know how to find a den or the fat reserves even if he did...yeah it sucks, his mom was likely shot too, probably in september judging by his size.
Starvation would be the worst way to go for an animal I'd think.

nolimits
05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I am still surprised with why would CO have this approach and attitude towards this issue. I was under impression that they would be the first to care.

Ozone
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Why do you assume they dont care? If its big enough to survive, let it do its own thing?

nolimits
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Why do you assume they dont care? If its big enough to survive, let it do its own thing?

In case you don't know Alta Lake Rd in Whistler is in residential area and if the cub is on his own and possibly starving, it is just a matter of time before he learns all about human garbage, and then what? Will the CO care more because there are complaints from local residents? Why not relocate him now before he becomes a problem bear???

Ozone
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Sure, they could send it to Texas to live with the bunnies.

nolimits
05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Sure, they could send it to Texas to live with the bunnies.

Thanks for your input.

budismyhorse
05-24-2011, 07:59 PM
It's a kick out..... The CO knows this and isn't worried and neither should you be. Good lord I hope they have higher priorities than relocating every black bear near a town.

boxhitch
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
.................... it is just a matter of time before he learns all about human garbage...........The bears learn to live where the food is. No food = no bear
People gotta learn
A couple of chance encounters with a good dog will send him on his way.

Gateholio
05-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Alta Lk road has lots of bush a few steps away. There is no need for the CO's to get involved unless it becomes a problem bear, and that usually means it gets fed garbage. Whistler has a huge Bear Aware campaign, the word is out there about not feeding bears.

Relocating a young bear just means it gets dropped in unfamiliar turf and could get killed by a dominant bear.

new hunter
05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
When I stated the bear was knee high I should have mentioned that I'm only about 5'8". this guys smaller than my dog , I mean basketball size .
Althogh I do understand and except infant mortality , Its kind of hard to watch when its a stones throw from your house.
My question was not wether or not we should save orphaned bears , it was simply if anyone knew of an agency that would be interested in helping.
That said I wonder how hard it would be to raise a bear ? If people can track with hounds I wander if a bear could work , after all don't they have a better sense of smell than dogs ? Could be real usefull for cougar hunting . And it would make an awsome gaurd dog/bear ,lol.
{before anyone tells me how stupid I'm being that was a joke}

Big Lew
05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
When I stated the bear was knee high I should have mentioned that I'm only about 5'8". this guys smaller than my dog , I mean basketball size .
Althogh I do understand and except infant mortality , Its kind of hard to watch when its a stones throw from your house.
My question was not wether or not we should save orphaned bears , it was simply if anyone knew of an agency that would be interested in helping.
That said I wonder how hard it would be to raise a bear ? If people can track with hounds I wander if a bear could work , after all don't they have a better sense of smell than dogs ? Could be real usefull for cougar hunting . And it would make an awsome gaurd dog/bear ,lol.
{before anyone tells me how stupid I'm being that was a joke}
Well, some people use moose as work and riding horses; some use reindeer, (including Santa); Stripper, Janet Jones uses a tiger; recently some were using bears as guard animals for their pot plantations, so it's not impossible.....go for it!

budismyhorse
05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Hey bud, the only reason you care is because you can see it in front of you. This thing happens in the wild all the time.......its nature and it is usually nasty.

the chosen words you are using like "orphan" and "infant" and "save" .........all suggest you are connecting these animals to humans or humanity. You should try to pull away from that idea and look at them as wild and part of nature, not for us to mess with.......maybe then you can sleep at night ;).

that being said, compasion is a good thing in hunting, its what leads to conservation and good ethical decisions...hold on to that.