PDA

View Full Version : A Complete Washout

PointMan
05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Bought my bear taga couple of weeks ago, patiently waited for the long weekend to come and go, got ready yesterday, packed up my vehicle with rifles, gear, grub, gps and anything else I could think of to take that I might need and headed out for a two night camping trip. Drove almost 140Km toward my hideout, only to find the road had completely washed out about 6 Km from the cabin!:mad: Normally, I would have just hiked in the rest of the way, but I was alone and had a lot of gear, too much for one person, it would have taken at least 4 trips and I would have been at it till close to midnight. Ended up making a 3 hour round trip instead. NOT my idea of a productive hunting weekend. To make matters worse, it was the only chance I was going to get for my spring bear, oh well, there's always the fall. Any one else run into this?

shadow1982
05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Well then you had an adventure... dont worry who knows you might get another chance at it

PointMan
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Well then you had an adventure... dont worry who knows you might get another chance at it

Yeah, just felt the need to vent. LOL Anyone know of anyother washed out roads out there? A heads up to the rest of the guys wandering the back roads wouldn't be a bad idea. I was heading up Bench Creek Road when I encounterd the washout.

ElectricDyck
05-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Here's a smaller one that required a little shovel work to scrape the Trillium through.http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0187.jpg

Surrey Boy
05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Washouts prevented me from making it to my two favoured places this spring. On the other hand, some roads have been restored to 2wd condition. It's the nature of logging roads. I'm sorry that access was blocked to your cabin; that's alot of investment you're unable to make use of. I hope you find a feasible solution soon.

boxhitch
05-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Drove around one small sluff yesterday,

Ain't seen nuttin yet though
Most of the snow hasn't come off the tops , and rain forecast all week.

The Dude
05-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Tough luck, but GREAT taste in trucks! :-)

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
So why didn't the OP drive a few clicks down the highway to Whatshan, or back to CV Main? Both have lots of bears.

Always have a plan B or C when you're heading out, 'cause shit happens often!

PointMan
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
So why didn't the OP drive a few clicks down the highway to Whatshan, or back to CV Main? Both have lots of bears.

Always have a plan B or C when you're heading out, 'cause shit happens often!
You missed the point, I had planned on spending two nights in the cabin, scouting that particular area, if I just wanted to do some hunting for a day, I would have left a lot of gear home and left much earlier.

gwillim
05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Lots of roadside slumps, and major debris torrents in the West Kootenays this year due to the above average snowpack. Still lots of snow up at the 2000 meter elevation, so stay tuned! If the road is a forestry road, and there is no pressing need for company access, don't expect the licensee to be in a rush to fix the blockage (unless there is a risk to further slope instability due to water diversion).