PDA

View Full Version : Dog tail problem???

mark
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Need some help, advise, here guys!
My buddy is a 2 year old male chessie.
Healthy and full of life, always happy, full of energy, tail usually going full tilt! (we call it the sweeper)
This morning my dog hardly wants to get out of bed, not excited to see us or go outside???? (very out of the norm)
We coax him out for a morning pee, he just lays on the lawn....somethings not right????
He's got no mojo, no energy, tail not wagging at all???
We try playing ball, give him a treat, all the stuff that makes his tail go nuts!
1 or 2 lil wags then it stops????
When he runs to fetch the ball, his tail kinda flops around quite lifeless????
About 6 inches from the base the tail feels noticeably smaller by just a bit, but noticeable!
At this point is where the tail seems to be lifeless, also seems to be a little sensitive to the touch???
He was 100% fine yesterday, and no we dont know of anything physical that happened to his tail, was with him all day long too!
Any Ideas??? :confused:

BlacktailStalker
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Did you have him swimming lots lately ?
Swimmers tail is real painful for them.... basically brutal muscle soreness in the tail... takes a bit to go away.
Depending on his pain tolerance he may or may not yelp when he moves it, lots do.

mark
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Did you have him swimming lots lately ?
Swimmers tail is real painful for them.... basically brutal muscle soreness in the tail... takes a bit to go away.
Depending on his pain tolerance he may or may not yelp when he moves it, lots do.

Ive had him swimming for hours before and never an issue whatsoever, yesterday we were river boating all day, he played in the river but hardly swam!
We were just considering the possibility that maybe an oar, or something loose in the boat may have bashed his tail in some rapids, but he was totally fine yesterday!

Ozone
05-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Both times the same thing happened to my old Lab it was from swimming and took about a week to heel. She eventualy got a bald spot there. She was always fine until the next morning also.

mark
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Both times the same thing happened to my old Lab it was from swimming and took about a week to heel. She eventualy got a bald spot there. She was always fine until the next morning also.

Im assuming your lab swam more than twice.....why would this happen once in a while????
was he swimming an excessive amount the day prior??? As I said, my guy hardly swam at all yesterday, and not at all in the past week!

Krico
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM

I have seen this with both of my labs as well. Took a few days but they got over it, no big deal.

4pointer91
05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Had something similar happen to my Wirehair a day after swimming in cold water (Skaha Lake) . His tail came out straight then drooped down, looked kind of odd and gave him some discomfort but he was back to normal in 3 or 4 days.

Jagermeister
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Did you check him over for ticks?

Marc
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Mark it's called limber tail, it's caused by over exertion caused by swimming or in a damp cold cramped condition for long duration. If he was in the boat and really no place for him to stretch this can happen. I've also read it can be caused by being locked up to long in a kennel or cramped space, not saying this what you did but it can be caused by several thing. Let him rest, don't irritate it. It's caused by swelling of the sheath that's at the base of his tail cutting off blood supply to the rest of his tail. It is very discomforting for him to try and sit or lay down. You can try giving him a mild anti inflammatory to try and help get the swelling down. I'm guessing your dog is around 70-80 lbs? I usually give an aspirin with his food once per day for a couple of days to alleviate the pain and swelling.

It is common in Chessies and Labs, they're not being abused just a pull from a muscle they haven't used in a while. You'd be surprised at how much they actually use their tails in the water when trying to get up on a bank or into a boat.

Marshall my chessie has had it 3 times now in the past 3 years or so, it usually happens when we start hitting the water hard after hunting the fields all fall.

4pointer91
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Mark, check out page 381 ...dead or limber tail.
http://fundogs.zxq.net/downloads/pdfs/Dog%20Owner's%20Home%20Veterinary%20Handbook.pdf

Guess the link is now broken, here's the excerpt.

DEAD TAIL OR LIMBER TAIL
This condition has been seen in Labrador Retrievers, Pointers, Setters,
Foxhounds, and Beagles. The dogs will hold their tails totally limp or out
away from their body three to four inches, then hanging limply. Most often
this occurs after a strenuous day of hunting or swimming—especially if the
water is cold.
Dogs may act as if the tail is painful. It appears to be a sprain or strain of the
tail muscles and nerves after working much harder than usual.
Treatment: Rest and anti-inflammatory medications usually result in a
normal tail in just a few days.

mark
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks a million guys, this limber tail sounds precisely what is going on!
As I said before he didnt swim much at all, but he did have a few struggling episodes getting back up the steep riverbanks!
Seems all he wants to do is rest, but otherwise he's fine! You guys saved me a trip to the vet. thanks Mark

Foxton Gundogs
05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Yep most probably "Swimmers Tail" had it happen to spme of my labs back in the day VERY painfull. BUT that being said check his glands as well not usually but I have seen the od case if impacted glands wit those symptoms.

weatherby_man
05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Yep my last dog had this happen to her once as well. After a LOT of swimming one particular day. Poor girl, it was the only time other than her last few days where she didnt want to get up and do anything.

deadownwind
05-24-2011, 09:56 AM
My 1 Year old Chessie (Ripley) was retrieving his duck from the raging river channel 2 weeks ago in Penticton BC. The next day he had Limp Tail Syndrome. 48 hours later it was gone. Most likely a mild case but I've read it can take up to 2 weeks for it to return to normal. I had him swimming in the lake in the winter when it was -6 degrees and it didn't happen. I like to think of it as a pulled muscle. Don't worry the dog will be fine! If problem persists after a week or two take him to the vet. Highly unlikely though.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I know you have major tick problems there and highly reduced activity with an indication of some sort of lameness ( pain in joints= not wanting to move much) is an indication of lyme disease too.... just a thought if he keeps deteriorating.
Stick a thermometer in his ass and find out if he's right or not and if he isnt I'd rule out swimmers tail right away. If he's not eating the norm I'd be headed to the vet.

mark
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I know you have major tick problems there and highly reduced activity with an indication of some sort of lameness ( pain in joints= not wanting to move much) is an indication of lyme disease too.... just a thought if he keeps deteriorating.
Stick a thermometer in his ass and find out if he's right or not and if he isnt I'd rule out swimmers tail right away. If he's not eating the norm I'd be headed to the vet.

I check him for ticks all the time, never found one on him.....he wears a tick collar as well gets a yearly vaccination for lymes disease....
Pretty sure its the "swimmers tail" thing, he had considerable more mojo today, and showed signs of improvement already!

BlacktailStalker
05-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Good deal. Laid up dogs are no fun...