PDA

View Full Version : good trail cam for decent price

elkeater
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
im relativly new to hunting and i am looking for a trail cam dos any one have a good suggestion for one( keep in mine im not rich)

todbartell
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
bushnell trophy cam, Stealth Cam Unit, Moultrie M80, all great cams in the $250 range

you get what you pay for, a $100 tasco is a POS compared to the above cams

snareman1234
05-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Been nothing but happy with my Bushnell trophy cam

demlake
05-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I bought a couple of Wildgame Innovations cameras, one IR4, and one flash4, which are really cheap, and....they're really cheap.

The battery housing broke right away, on both. I bitch fixed them with a couple of rubber bands, and they work, but they're very poorly made.

The cameras themselves work okay. They take pretty good pictures day and night. But I would never buy another one, obviously.

This site has a lot of info on cameras:

http://www.chasingame.com/

elkeater
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
wow that is a good site with lots of info to go through. ill be reading for awhie

demlake
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
There's also a lot of info here on this site.

Do a search for trail camera, etc.

Shooter
05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
A site sponsor here ,Trail n Security camera's I think it is. He sells the HCO Scoutguard cameras. I have one and have been happy with it. There are some good reviews on the Scoutguard on the Chasinggame site previously mentioned.

Allen50
05-23-2011, 10:57 PM
wal-mart has some good cheep ones,, check them out before buying,,

Shooter
05-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I have one from Walmart that I spent $100 on. It works.......... But if you can get up into the $250 range it will be money well spent. As I said I also have the ScoutGuard camera and it is WAY better than the $100 Walmart special. The cheapo one is HUGE physically and it takes like 8 D-cell batteries that don't last that long. The Scoutguard runs on AA batteries and they last FOREVER. I bought a set of Lithiums over a year ago and am still on the same set. I haven't had it out through most of the winter mind you but it was out all summer and hunting season last year, and the batteries still read full power.

People will tell you that it will just get stolen so buy the cheapest you can afford to lose. Well IMO the cheapo will get stolen far before my good one will. For one reason I have a good lock box for my good one but aside from that it is very very small and easily hidden. The cheapo is large and sticks out like a sore thumb. Also my cheapo has a flash that will alert anyone in the area that something is there. My good one has an IR flash which is virtually invisible to the human eye.

greenhorn
05-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I have one of the Moultrie units with IR. I think it was $200 or so. Takes pretty good pics and the enclosure is decent enough. Battery life seems good too.