PDA

View Full Version : Are Mulies Birthing??

Buckmeister
05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
About a week and a half ago I could go up the hill from our house and within 1/2 kilometer stretch count anywheres from 50 to 80 mulies, mostly does. Went up tonight and was lucky to see 10 deer, most of them bucks. Same thing happened last year at this point in the spring (not the same timing but same stage of spring development), the does dissappeared and about a month or so later I started seeing some fawns. Was just wondering if anyone has an idea when they might start birthing. Maybe they are starting the nesting process and finding cover, shelter, and food sources before the birthing begins? Any thoughts?

I also realize that the deer are moving higher up now too, so maybe part of what I am observing is migration.

mjmbc
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
im thinkin that around here most does aborted we had more snow then weve seen in over 60 years the moose deer and elk were bedding down on the roads it was kinda unreal to wake up and find 12 elk sleepin in my driveway and that was an every day occurance for people around here

Buckmeister
05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Out my back door is an excellent winter range area with plenty of cover and feed with a moving water source so the mule deer do quite well even if the snow is deep. Predation is the main concern here over the winter, and from what I saw this last winter the deer faired far better then the year before.

hunter1947
05-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Any day now the does will start giving birth ,WT and Mule..

Bigbuckadams
05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Gestation is about 200 days for deer. So yup, anytime now :)

dana
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
The last week of May and the first week of June is when they always disappear. You'll just see lost yearlings wondering where 'momma' went and batchelor groups of bucks. If you spend a lot of time hunting bears, you'll notice that the mature bears disappear for 4-6 days over this period too. They give up their green diet and hit the timber during this time period to hunt meat. When they are done eating fawns, the big boars will be fat and sassy and will start combing looking to get laid.

Jelvis
05-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Gestation period for mule deer is anywhere from 187 days to 210. Count back approx 200 days from May 23rd and see what you get.
Jel .. That's when the doe got bred .. end of October .. beginning of November ..
Gestation .. time it takes for fawn to grow inside doe and then born ..................
According to Hoyle ..

mr7mm
05-24-2011, 11:51 PM
we have been cruisin around same here seeing alot of deer no fawns yet thanks foe the info guys