PDA

View Full Version : hunting king island Bella coola

kiwibuilders
05-22-2011, 07:09 AM
My buddies are going to King Island out of Bella coola for grizzly bearsand was wandering if any has travelled the waters to the island. we have a 19 tri hull and was wanting to know if this big enough. how bad are the waters. Thanks so much. Alan

bigwhiteys
05-22-2011, 07:25 AM
We had the draw a few years ago and were running around the area in a 17' aluminum runabout. Mesachie Nose was some scary shit!!! The rest of the channel(s) were fine if the weather was good. We stayed at the lodge in Nascall Bay. You may encounter American tourist boats all through there, usually in the prime hunting locations too, they will be anchored in the bay(s). Especially this late in the season. That part sucked.

The Hotsprings in Eucott bay are pretty cool... It's a nice area to explore.

Carl

Sitkaspruce
05-22-2011, 07:49 AM
The waters are susceptible to the outflow winds from Bella Coola in the afternoon, plus any weather system that comes in from the Pacific. Best sites to check are Cathedral Point and Bella Bella. Your boat should be ok, but can you beach it as there is no docks on King? Also, make sure you have a back up kicker, just in case. Lots of wood in the channels and bays.

Just a note, if you are planning on hunting any of the Valleys on King, most are deactivated to the point that there is foot traffic only. I flew most of the roads last year and there is pretty limited access. If you want more info, PM me and I will check my updated maps.

And, yes you will run into tourists all over the place up there.

Good luck on your hunt.

Cheers

SS

srupp
05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
there are no bears on king island..wolves yes...what draw do you have??cant ya hunt Kwatna bay??

Steven

srupp
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I have some secrets of surviving the areas TRECHEROUS WATERS....

pm me or better yet call me..

Steven

BiG Boar
05-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I heard of a few old black bears on king island, so bring a tag along for sure. It's a hard hunt, keep your eyes open for wolves.

srupp
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
hmmmm if you are indeed on a Grizzly hunt concentrate on the grizzly..not the black bears...and King Island is the LAST PLACE ON THE COAST TO FIND GRIZZLY..they arnt ther period..black bear???hardly worth the effort while you have GRIZZLY permit..weather changes instantly..ending many a hunt...

cheers

Steven

Sitkaspruce
05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Steven

I have seen two bears on King, one a nice black coated one and the other a young dark brown one....so they are there. But yes there is much better areas around there. Also, the Kwatna is very busy with tourists this year, not sure why, but there has been a few boats in the the area, so the bears must be there. There has also been a few bears seen at Gilderslieve and Doc Creek.

Cheers

SS

kiwibuilders
05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Carl. We are being told not to go to king island in any thing smaller than 40 ft, this seems unrealistic. I understand the weather can blow up but not every day I don't think.Its supposed to blow up at a moments notice. Is this correct. Thanks Alan

srupp
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
hmmmm....usually fished there in the bay on King Island for bait........and off in a few select spots...in all the years..never even seen a track..besides wolves....Clayton Mack also said there were no bears...and a few of my contacts that live in the area or live in the area when cutting down trees...logging..even some fisheries guys none has ever seen bears..or sign of bears.,...some live in their boats for weeks at a time and dont see anything there...in 30 years going in there..myself I havnt even seen a track of a bear...thats my experience...

As far as Kwatna....a big boar was harvested there by a young lady.. nice bear.. very nice...some crabbing and the prawning... and lots of folks choose to boat camp in the inlet there for these features///

Steven

kiwibuilders
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
We have tried for Grizzly's on king island, were told lots there, 15 allowed to come out of there with 1.5 to 1 odds

srupp
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Alan...specifically going ONLY to King Island for G bear makes no sense....something is wrong there????

And 19" foot trihall is marginall..at best..and if not attempted in the first moments of day break before the thermals and winds hit...is beyoind dangerous..25 footer would be a much better choice...again when is as important as what is used...there are stretches that have no place to get out of the wind and waves...this action of boating to K bay is far far far more dangerous than the bears..imo...

cheers
Steven

srupp
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
deleted

steven

kiwibuilders
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
OOps I was wrong, we are going to the shores across the waters from King island. Mu s 5.08 zone a and 5.09 zone a. Supposed to be lots of bears. The water crossings will be smaller as just 2 chanels to cross. 5.08 is about 50 km from Bella Coola.Any thoughts. Thanks We apreciate your input as we havn't hunted up here before.Alan

Sitkaspruce
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Steven

Not to get in an argument, but when I fly ever road on that island at least once a year, I get to see somethings that maybe no body else has seen......both were way back in the valley during green up in the spring, one in 2008 and the black one last spring. Never seen one in the fall though.

And I know what I have seen. I also know of an IA crew that saw a grizz on there during the fires of 09....maybe, just like VI, the bears swim over for a walk around......:-D

And that is my experience.....

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Either way I think its a bit to late to be hunting coastal bear. Not a rule, but the coats are going to be rubbed more than likely. Still keep us posted, I would love for you to prove us wrong. I hunted that tag last year and went in too early. I was in there last week of April. We did find 3 grizzly, but no shooters. However I left with a nice wolf.

Ike
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Either way I think its a bit to late to be hunting coastal bear. Not a rule, but the coats are going to be rubbed more than likely. Still keep us posted, I would love for you to prove us wrong. I hunted that tag last year and went in too early. I was in there last week of April. We did find 3 grizzly, but no shooters. However I left with a nice wolf.

He may get lucky, things are about three weeks behind normal here. Scat piles on the FSRs in any amount have really just shown up over the last couple of weeks, and a lot more 'evactivity' especially in the past several days.

Cheers

muledeercrazy
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Carl. We are being told not to go to king island in any thing smaller than 40 ft, this seems unrealistic. I understand the weather can blow up but not every day I don't think.Its supposed to blow up at a moments notice. Is this correct. Thanks Alan

that is rediculous. Pay attention to the water, and the forcasts. Do you have a good marine vhs? A good seaworthy 20 footer will be fine as long as it is not overloaded. Make sure you have a good chart, and a gps if you have one around. Take the tides and current tables to, because some spots will be a lot rougher with the tide change and outflow wind. I have fished calvert island, rivers inlet, charlottes, etc, and would have no problem taking a seaworthy 20 footer on a trip like that if i was geared up properly. What type of boat is it, and what size engine?

edited: i really mean a good seaworth 20 ft boat, that doesnt have to much motor and is not overloaded

nicholasbardon
05-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I am also more than happy to help, I spent most of my twenties as a Kayak guide and I regularily hunted from my Kayak around bella bella, and up spiller channel. I've seen lots of wolves, black bear and deer. As for the weather my kayak can handle up to about 20 knot winds depending on the tide and fetch and I have rarely had to spend more than an afternoon ashore waiting for the weather. Stick to the smaller channels and plan your route so that you are minimizing your exposure. Always have a VHF and listen to the weather regularily and if it sounds bad hit the beach. Happy to give some more tips if ya wanna pm me. I'm jealous wish I had the time to head up that way this year

srupp
05-29-2011, 06:13 PM
hmmm sounds like they are hunting kwatna River...

steven

Ike
05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
The valley black bears we are seeing are now well rubbed. 5 blacks and one small grizzly today, didn't get a good look at the griz.

It is definitely slim pickins this year.
Cheers

jonz
05-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Most tri hulls are not very seaworthy imo. They dont slice through the chop like a deep v.

BiG Boar
05-31-2011, 07:27 AM
hmmm sounds like they are hunting kwatna River...

steven

That's a different draw than the King island area draw.

srupp
05-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Dave,,usually think of only 3 areas for central coastal grizzly...
cheers
Steven