PDA

View Full Version : black tail 101

new hunter
05-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Is there much difference in black tail deer hunting than mule deer hunting ?
Ive read the differences in white tail vs mule deer hunting {setting blinds on deer trails vs alpine climbing and glassing or high country spot and stalk} and I was wandering what the best way to hunt black tails is .
I'm in the sea to sky so I would imagine that I'll need to hunt the high country . Any info on black tail hunting and habits would be appreciated.
I do know I need to do a ton of scouting ,and that hanging out with an experienced hunter would be helpful ,but I'm looking for info on things like feeding and bedding habits , elevation of home range , how neccesary is scent and clothing camoflgue and anything else you you guys think might be useful.

HIGHRPM
05-18-2011, 11:22 AM
There is some serious knowledge on this forum, so your bound to get tons of info, some will agree some will contradict all based on each owns experiences. I will give you what I have seen over the years. Blacktails love to be in dense bush,which makes for short range shooting at times, they love to bed down on the hill looking down and protected by wind direction just incase they don't see you they can smell you.Their path to feeding grounds changes all the time so it's hard to pattern them at times. They love to be moving in the rain, so be prepared to be out when it's raining. They don't rely heavily on water holes due to the amount of water found in there normal habitat. I have seen fully camoed hunters and people with plaid shirts all take deer, so I am open minded about gear. I myself am always in camo just out of habit. Great optics are really going to help with the low light conditions in the bush, so a good pair of binoc and a scope with good light gathering are important. Alot of hunters say the black tail is the hardest of the deers to hunt. For me I would say yes to that based mainly on terrain, climbing those mountains with thick bush are no fun some days. But if that is where they are, thats where we must go. Have a great time out there and record everything you learn to see if you can develop a pattern to the chase of this great ghost of the forest.

05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Watch your wind, Watch your noise and watch your backstop is dont skyline yourself. If you can have the sun at your back. The buggers are smart. To awnser your question there is noting similar in the deer except what they are called. If you have hunted whitetails you have just been practicing for a good Blacktail hunt.

The most miserable day is a good day to hunt. Windy rainy days find the lea of the wind and you should find them. They are skittish as hell thats why wind and rain get them moving, they cant stand the noise.

Find some good sign and hunt it. But the biggest thing,,,,,, dont get frusterated, keep at it and when you do shoot one you probably deserve it!

deerslayer1234
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
are food plots a good idea to hunt? ive heard guys hunting private land have had some succes ive been at it for 2 years no luck. i think this years the year

05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
If you got the land to food plot ya im sure that would work fine. I would suggest Roses as a staple with a bit of Greanium!
its what they get at my house.

houndsman
05-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Hunt south face fer timber on the crapest windy rainy day you can find . Find a good spot with lots of sign a spot that everone drives past. put out a salt & mineral block & a trail cam you will get picks of all the bucks that live there . thay will be there till late august then thay will disapeer till november. thats when you put out apples , alfalfa & otes .wate till all the bears have gone to bed or you wont see eney deer

BCBear
05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Blacktail Trophy Tactics by Boyd Iverson. I believe there is version 1 and 2

new hunter
05-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought baiting for deer was illegal in B.C. ?

Shooter
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Nope... bait anything but bears.

porcupine
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Nope... bait anything but bears.

You can't bait waterfowl.

Jelvis
05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Blacktail deer are very hard to hunt if you want a big buck especially. Mule deer are in semi-open country on hill sides and ridges. Blacktail in super thick bush.
Jel .. Blacktail are the hardest to hunt of all the three deer .. imho and lot's of others.

hunter1947
05-23-2011, 02:57 AM
I have hunted the two species most of my life but hunted blacktails more I myself have found there is not much difference in hunting the two species but have to say blacktails are harder to hunt then that of a mule deer...

The blacktails live in a more dense under bush then the mule deer the mule deer are found in most cases out in the open areas more then blacktails.

I have shot blacktailes in big virgin timber as for open slashes ,the mule deer most of the ones I shot have been in the open areas as a few shot in timbered areas.

Most times its what effort you put into your hunts that makes it happen and lots of times you find deer almost anywhere hi or low but for mule deer as for blacktails I find the big lunkers hang out hi in the summer months a few times you will get lucky and nail a decent deer of ether species at lower elevations.

rides bike to work
05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Ive spent more time hunting black tails than anyhing else I have noticed I find more deer in large stand of old growth with solel on the ground for some reason I try try to search areas were its not to steep so I can cover ground.I have also found when you find an area with lots of sign keep coming back they tend to frequent one area and eventually you will find there beds then its game on using 2 guys to push them toward each other tends to give some shooting chances.This is in the fraser valley anyway.

new hunter
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
It sounds like most shots would be at close range . would a 123grn soft point at 2400fps be apropriate {7.62x39} ?
I also have a 30-30 but its scoped since I planned on using it for mulies in the alpine { I have just recently learned that the local deer are black tails not mulies }.
How skittish are blacktails ? how important is camo , do I need to dress silent {nothing to click or rattle} .

Gilmore
05-23-2011, 12:23 PM
How skittish are blacktails ? how important is camo , do I need to dress silent {nothing to click or rattle} .

Skittish-Depends how hard they have been pressured.
Camo- Not necessary, though most of the quality hunting gear you find now is camo. Wool is still one of my faves.
Silence-As they say, Silence is Golden

I think most of the above can be applied to all species

bandit
05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
It sounds like most shots would be at close range . would a 123grn soft point at 2400fps be apropriate {7.62x39} ?

A 7.62x39 will kill a BT no problem (assuming you hit it in the right place etc). I wouldnt wanna use one for bears though, either targeted or self defense! A few hunters up that way have told me about a grizz that has learned to associate gunshots with gut piles / food.

new hunter
05-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Ive heard stories about bears like that up north , near p.g. .
I was thinking of lightening my sks with a plastic stock and 5rd hunting mag plus ditching the military sling for something quieter , all to make an open sighted close quarters carbine for the thick bush . the area I'd be using it in is hilly and thick and is mostly populated by black bear . That said would my 18" 12g with buck or light slug be more suitable ? I'd rather have a light rifle for accuracy and shooting across clearings .