PDA

View Full Version : Rokon Motorcycles

SimilkameenSlayer
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
been considering the rokon as one of the options for a off-road hunting machine, they look simple to maintain, frugal on fuel and reliable .... could be a very handy peace of equipment.

your opinions please!

http://www.rokon.com/salesnservice/prices.htm

lovemywinchester
05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Its not fast but it looks cool. Get you anywhere by the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKz7biIvZWQ&feature=related

bigwhiteys
05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I've never rode a rokon but have heard good things about them... They are pretty neat little machines, lots of power, great payload, they can tow. Pretty cool for a 2 wheeler.

Carl

ringo
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
The only recommendation I can make is, don't get 'spoked' wheels as fallen branches, sticks and debris will jam between the wheel spokes and frame creating problems! Solid wheels work better! Other than that it is an awesome machine.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
The only recommendation I can make is, don't get 'spoked' wheels as fallen branches, sticks and debris will jam between the wheel spokes and frame creating problems! Solid wheels work better! Other than that it is an awesome machine.

now that makes sense about the solid wheels.

:)

Ozone
05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
The solid wheels are also used for spare gas contaners and also flotation when crossing big water.

Jagermeister
05-17-2011, 12:30 PM
After watching the video from the Rokon's website (which was taken near the Tsolum River here in BC) and the other one posted to the thread, I can see no distinct advantage that it would have over a small quad ATV. There is no terrain featured in the video clips that I have not ridden over on my quad. And as far as a 60° slope is concerned, that can be mastered by most ATVs and UTVs, it is dependent on how much weight is hanging off the front end to counterbalance the "back flipping" effect. The only slight advantage that I could see would be when "side-hilling" but you would not be able to haul the trailer unless it had some sort of articulated rear wheel tilt.
So I will stick with 4 wheel or 2 skis and a track.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
i like this guys setup....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5QqMLI5g

bushpig slayer
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
i would look into the tw 200 from yamaha more power has suspension that's a big plus uses little fuel bullet proof motor easy to get parts anywhere for quick fix.also look up cycle racks.com they have sweet racks for them and they are street legal i'm going to get one 5100.00 they have fat wheels too.many hunters swear by them.hope this helps

bearhunter338-06
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll stick to my Tracker, although that trailer would be nice.

houndogger
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

Looks like a good way to twist a knee.

luckynuts
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
After watching the video from the Rokon's website (which was taken near the Tsolum River here in BC) and the other one posted to the thread, I can see no distinct advantage that it would have over a small quad ATV. There is no terrain featured in the video clips that I have not ridden over on my quad. And as far as a 60° slope is concerned, that can be mastered by most ATVs and UTVs, it is dependent on how much weight is hanging off the front end to counterbalance the "back flipping" effect. The only slight advantage that I could see would be when "side-hilling" but you would not be able to haul the trailer unless it had some sort of articulated rear wheel tilt.
So I will stick with 4 wheel or 2 skis and a track.

I know 2 guys that use them up here in FSJ. Gets them well past the quads as they don't need such a wide trail from what I'm told. They use them for their sheep and grizzly hunts and have faired well. Though I would prefer my quad if using any motor vehicle and save the 2 wheelers for speed and jumps:-D They have the solid wheels and use them to store extra fuel. Apparently there not so great in the snow.

W.

Johnnybear
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM

That's a sweet set up. I like it as well. I researched them a bit in the past and always thought they were pretty cool. I did not know about the extra gas in the solid wheels (cool). Thanks for posting up that vid.

Cheers
Jb

Jagermeister
05-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Riddle me this; if the wheel is solid, how do you get gas into it?

SimilkameenSlayer
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Riddle me this; if the wheel is solid, how do you get gas into it?

:mrgreen: it's hollow, only looks solid. :mrgreen:

Jagermeister
05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
:mrgreen: it's hollow, only looks solid. :mrgreen:Hollow solid wheel, now there's an enigma or better yet, an oxymoron.

Pioneerman
05-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I see no advantage of these over a atv and you can get 4x4 to take you more places than you will ever get with 2x4, or in this cases a 2x2. There are so few trails that I have seen moose hunting as suggested earlier that I could not take my atv with my trailer through. This guy is constantly putting his feet down , and that is not always a good idea on a moving vehicle. I watched some videos of this thing trying to climb hills and it was not impressive. Sure, it is better than the other motorcycles or that TW200 which is only rear drive unless I am mistaken ? s for the wheels packing fuel I understand they are hollow, I would like to see how you get the fuel from the wheels into the tank? Maybe they have a pump that attaches. I can always just carry a jerry can or my flat pack on my rack or in the trailer

SimilkameenSlayer
05-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Hollow solid wheel, now there's an enigma or better yet, an oxymoron.

you can't see through aluminum, so the appearance is of a solid wheel also there are no spokes.

green machine
05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
get a yamaha bw200 or bw350. if you want to stick with a bike

Pioneerman
05-18-2011, 09:34 PM
get a yamaha bw200 or bw350. if you want to stick with a bike

Not two wheel drive is it ?

luckynuts
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I see no advantage of these over a atv and you can get 4x4 to take you more places than you will ever get with 2x4, or in this cases a 2x2. There are so few trails that I have seen moose hunting as suggested earlier that I could not take my atv with my trailer through. This guy is constantly putting his feet down , and that is not always a good idea on a moving vehicle. I watched some videos of this thing trying to climb hills and it was not impressive. Sure, it is better than the other motorcycles or that TW200 which is only rear drive unless I am mistaken ? s for the wheels packing fuel I understand they are hollow, I would like to see how you get the fuel from the wheels into the tank? Maybe they have a pump that attaches. I can always just carry a jerry can or my flat pack on my rack or in the trailer

Not saying they are better than quads. just stating that I know 2 guys that use them. One big difference is they can be loaded in a jet boat fairly easily. I myself would never own one as a quad is so much more versatile to me. However I know 2 guys that swear by them.

W.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
interesting,

i was thinking of the possibility s of toting a rokon in a 15' zodiak inflatable.

Pioneerman
05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Not saying they are better than quads. just stating that I know 2 guys that use them. One big difference is they can be loaded in a jet boat fairly easily. I myself would never own one as a quad is so much more versatile to me. However I know 2 guys that swear by them.

W.

I did not say YOU said anything about being an advantage I was just making a point as well, that I see no advantage over a quad. :-)

SHACK
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Hell, they have one very distinct advantage over a quad! SIZE!! Try getting a quad through some of them horse and game trails up north without spending 5 hours per km with a chainsaw and the advantage becomes VERY clear to me.
One of these on a sheep hunt would be great covering a large amount of valley bottom ground that normaly would be hiked in, so I could completely see some great areas opening up, or should I just say made easier to access.
None the least, I would not want to be 10 hours into a sheep hike and hear one of these coming up behind me, just as crappy of a sound as horses would be! LOL

aggiehunter
05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
That sounds awesome...load up that heavy weith Roachon in your rubber boat...should make for an interesting trip for the first hundred feet or so...

Barracuda
05-21-2011, 10:21 PM
the folks that think a mc is limited because it is one wheel drive are sadly misinformed or do not have the ability to ride one properly.

they go alot more places then folks think it is just that it takes skill and alot of effort.

rokans have no suspension which would be pretty damn hard on you after a while

Pioneerman
05-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I have owned 11 dirt bikes and enduro type motorcycles and 15 Atv's two 8 wheel argo's and 3 three wheelers. Unless it is just narrow a Atv will get you more places carry a load in and out, tow a trailer and haul your game out, take you through deeper water and mud too. When I first saw a big red three wheeler I though what the hell do they think they will ever do with that. So after experiencing for myself I never looked back, and like you say about people not having ability to ride also works the same way for the atv too. Many people do not know you just don't hope on and drive there is a lot to know about adverse conditions. It is just like a certain gun or size excavator , they all have their places and purpose. One of these might be fun to play with

SimilkameenSlayer
05-22-2011, 07:41 AM
That sounds awesome...load up that heavy weith Roachon in your rubber boat...should make for an interesting trip for the first hundred feet or so...

we are not talking about some cheap junk inflatable from c-tire.

google "hypalon" and get educated.

Iron Sighted
05-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, and being inflatable, the payload is unbelievable. I'd imagine in a 15' Zodiac that you'd run out of space before you'd ever exceed max. weight.

aggiehunter
05-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I would probably suggest you google "why aren't people using Rokons" and get educated.....try finding parts in Ft St No Where when it breaks down.

Barracuda
05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I have owned 11 dirt bikes and enduro type motorcycles and 15 Atv's two 8 wheel argo's and 3 three wheelers. Unless it is just narrow a Atv will get you more places carry a load in and out, tow a trailer and haul your game out, take you through deeper water and mud too. When I first saw a big red three wheeler I though what the hell do they think they will ever do with that. So after experiencing for myself I never looked back, and like you say about people not having ability to ride also works the same way for the atv too. Many people do not know you just don't hope on and drive there is a lot to know about adverse conditions. It is just like a certain gun or size excavator , they all have their places and purpose. One of these might be fun to play with

I agree that a good rider on a quad will go most places a bike will go and many places a bike cant .

the biggest diff with a quad is they are user friendly take far less effort and take far less ability and effort to ride at a fairly effective level . One can have poor balance and be in piss poor condition and still be able to get most places with a quad. I actually like quads and SXS alot and each has thier place . you should really have one of each .

Johnnybear
05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Funny thread for sure especially about the riding a two wheeler vs four wheeler................well I figure the four wheeler's were built specifically for folks that can't ride two wheeler's:twisted:. Ha ha:-D.

I think Pioneerman is probably right about the water crossings and hauling though. To each their own. I still think those Rokons are a pretty cool machine.

Kudu
05-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Johnnybear

Re: Rokon Motorcycles
Funny thread for sure especially about the riding a two wheeler vs four wheeler................well I figure the four wheeler's were built specifically for folks that can't ride two wheeler's:twisted:. Ha ha.

Any one that say's a four wheeler can go anywhere a two wheeler can go has not ridden a two wheeler very much. Two wheel drive or not.

I ride a two wheeler with out two wheel drive and I have a two speed transfer case to boot. I can Barney Rubble up a tree if I have too.

Some would say that riding a Quad is like riding a fat chick........

I wouldn't know - as I have never riden either, However, there is hope - my teenage sons say I can have a quad...... when I get old.....:mrgreen:

Johnnybear
05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Some would say that riding a Quad is like riding a fat chick........

I wouldn't know - as I have never riden either, However, there is hope - my teenage sons say I can have a quad...... when I get old.....:mrgreen:

I was just throwin' in some more ribbin':-D. Hope you do get a quad and you don't feel old about it:mrgreen:.

Their all handy machines to help one get into spots and haul some gear and game.

elkeater
05-23-2011, 04:36 PM
i believe that each platform has its own advantages. quads are good on the flat surfaceslike logging roads, but not so much on hills and side hilling( ever had one roll on ya?) and there also good for payload. 2 wheelers how ever in my expereince are superior in the hills but not so for carrying stuff but the rokon has great ability for hauling compared to other bikes. ID LOVE TO HAVE ONE

aggiehunter
05-23-2011, 09:54 PM
arent' you guys gonna at least give your honest opinon...I think if Rokons where the hot shit then we would all have one....chain drive up front looks like a project when riding through the nastys'.....oil flying all over your Sitka camo....while double trenching it into your favourite honey hole on the Rockon....that's why they made feet and the "Sasquatch".......

SimilkameenSlayer
05-24-2011, 06:05 AM
arent' you guys gonna at least give your honest opinon...I think if Rokons where the hot shit then we would all have one....chain drive up front looks like a project when riding through the nastys'.....oil flying all over your Sitka camo....while double trenching it into your favourite honey hole on the Rockon....that's why they made feet and the "Sasquatch".......

:mrgreen:

just because a person does not own one, does not mean it's no good.

in my honest opinion.

Pioneerman
05-24-2011, 06:16 AM
:mrgreen:

just because a person does not own one, does not mean it's no good.

in my honest opinion.

I think he is saying that there is a reason they never caught on. Two wheel drive motorcycles have been around for a very long time I was first told about them 35 years ago. They still have very little following and if they were the cat's A$$ they would be everywhere, but they are not. you can get through narrower spots, yes, but 99 % of my riding has never been just narrow spots. You are limited to what you can pack and the amount of snow , mud and water is far less than a 4x4 atv, and you can pack a whole moose out on a atv. everything has it's place, these 2x2 machine just never found it in the market, but I am sure they would be fun to play with.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-24-2011, 06:32 AM
atv quads have there place and so do rokons, no debate from me on that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24aibel_Ew

aggiehunter
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
good thing it's flat in MB...a quad could go anywhere they showed on that youtube...buy one.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
in the forest, atv width could be a problem. hence the advantage of the rokon.

not an atv quad ... but the principle is the same. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo

jethrobuddy
05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Fellow in Terace has one for sale,(10 years old+) if anyone is interested. I could always stop in and get a phone #.