PDA

View Full Version : Need a hand?

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and BC itself. Im from Ireland and was wondering if I could meet up with someone who is willing to have me along on their hunt. Let me explain further...

I have small game experience from Ireland, mostly .22 and shotgun hunting rabbits and birds. However Canada is a different story, different hunting culture and I wanted to learn about it. To be honest im not interested in taking a shot while im here, just to learn how a BC hunter goes about taking larger game. Im not sure how the seasons work here but im guessing all the Deer species are closed until September?

Of course im more than willing to meet up before hand to have a chat. I figure an extra hand with larger game might be of some use and I just wanted to watch and learn. Im living in Vancouver but willing to travel a bit if needs be.

Thanks in advance

Bow Walker
05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the site Mac - I'm sure that one (or a few) of the many mainland members will step up and take you out. Good luck.

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Bow Walker. Im excited to learn from you folks

Bow Walker
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
What have you got besides the shotgun and the .22? Rifle? Bow?

gibblewabble
05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Lots of bear hunting in the next month surely one of the LM members will have time. Loads of fun.

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Well there the only personal weapons I have. Licenses are restrictive when you go over .22 I also have army experience with military weapons... Thats regular army reserve for those who are raising eye brows :-)

I love archery but bow hunting is illegal in Ireland for some reason. I dont have a bow but worked in adventure center and shot daily for a while. I havent had the pleasure of firing a compound bow yet, only recurved. I made a primitive bow from Ash at home. Doesnt shoot so straight though but its my first

Canada seems to have a much healthy population of hunters and better attitude towards hunting. Well thats my impression so far. Most people know someone or have a relative who hunts. In Ireland, its mainly pest control and deer culling. Im considering settling in Canada, so id love to meet members of the hunting community here.

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats interesting. Considering the cubs are only out and about. I figured the season would have been later in the year?

Lots of bear hunting in the next month surely one of the LM members will have time. Loads of fun.

akyne
05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
First things first, jump online or grab a paper copy of the hunting regs and start reading. The front pages of the regulations discusses general hunting regulations that apply to the whole province, the latter section has the region specific regulations that delves into season dates and lengths for each individual season for which there is an open season in B.C. Also, the basic hunter training course is referred to as CORE, or Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education and there is an associated hand book that is choc-a-bloc full of useful, and vital information. The CORE manual can be found at most hunting stores.

Here is a link for a .pdf version of the hunting regulations.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012.pdf

KB90
05-17-2011, 10:36 AM
We have two seasons. Spring season and Fall season. Spring season = Prime Bear Hides

Your never allowed to shoot a sow with cubs so it is not an issue.

akyne
05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Thats interesting. Considering the cubs are only out and about. I figured the season would have been later in the year?

I'm not sure where you heard that only cubs were out right now, most of the mature bears are running around right now as as is evident from the numerous successful hunts posted in the past few weeks.

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Im only back from Alaska and was told they were only out there. Im only back in Vancouver 2 days so im still adjusting. Forgot that spring was here a while. Dont get me wrong here, im not judging, im just trying to learn.

I'm not sure where you heard that only cubs were out right now, most of the mature bears are running around right now as as is evident from the numerous successful hunts posted in the past few weeks.

Thanks for the link also. Ill get reading. Looks like some decent info

EDIT: Just read the section Bears and its more clear now.

Tripitaka
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Welcome Mac.

I'm a fellow ex-pat too but living on the Island. There is tons of great info on here and the folks are very helpful. My assessment so far is that there are some members that are easily exciteable (so I give every reply a healthy dose of humour) - it's just a good job they don't own guns. Oh...wait...:mrgreen:

I've had a superb welcome here, for which I'm very grateful. Ping me a PM if you want to know what you can or cannot do on the various work permits.

Lovin' your comment on the military...made me laugh!

Mac tire
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply mate. I could sense I was getting off on the wrong foot a bit quick. Ill send you a PM in a bit.

To be honest im not really asking to put my hands on a rifle at all this time. Im more interested in everything around it. Im always looking to learn and im more interested in the logistics around the kill rather than making one. Tracking, stalking, skinning, tanning, butchering and knowledge of the animal itself. I can learn all of that without a rifle. Sure, if I could hunt for myself I would love it but at the moment im on a working visa and its not my primary focus. Ive already spoken to a few lads on my travels who were very welcoming, im just looking to further enhance my own knowledge.

In relation to the military thing, ive been asked some odd questions during my time here. So i just wanted to get that clear :-)

Welcome Mac.

I'm a fellow ex-pat too but living on the Island. There is tons of great info on here and the folks are very helpful. My assessment so far is that there are some members that are easily exciteable (so I give every reply a healthy dose of humour) - it's just a good job they don't own guns. Oh...wait...:mrgreen:

I've had a superb welcome here, for which I'm very grateful. Ping me a PM if you want to know what you can or cannot do on the various work permits.

Lovin' your comment on the military...made me laugh!

Johnnybear
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the site Mac.

Cheers,
Jb

gibblewabble
05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the site.

Military isn't a four letter word on this site, many of us are proud of our military family members. Bears are a somewhat touchy topic as the anti's are trying to get it shut down again so the offers might not roll in right away. As for hunting them well any south facing exposure right now on a sunny day will get you a view and you don't need a license to view also Forest Service Roads; grab a back roads map book it can be very handy for navigating the back roads. Pulling out an adult bear can be a hell of a workout so it's always nice to have an extra hand for sure so maybe see if you can meet someone in the LM for coffee and a chat. If you ever make your way to Vernon PM me and I will meet ya if i'm in town.

Mac tire
05-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Understandable if it's a touchy subject with people. The last thing I want to do is cause a fuss. I've been lucky to see a fair few black bear on my way back from Alaska. I enjoy learning about them and if I was anti-anything, I certainly wouldn't be here offering a hand to drag it out.

I sincerely appreciate your offer and will keep it in mind. Thanks

Welcome to the site.

Military isn't a four letter word on this site, many of us are proud of our military family members. Bears are a somewhat touchy topic as the anti's are trying to get it shut down again so the offers might not roll in right away. As for hunting them well any south facing exposure right now on a sunny day will get you a view and you don't need a license to view also Forest Service Roads; grab a back roads map book it can be very handy for navigating the back roads. Pulling out an adult bear can be a hell of a workout so it's always nice to have an extra hand for sure so maybe see if you can meet someone in the LM for coffee and a chat. If you ever make your way to Vernon PM me and I will meet ya if i'm in town.

Tripitaka
05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
@gibblewabble - I think Mac was alluding to the fact that in Ireland, the 'military' isn't always working for the government. :-D

@Mac tire - PM sent.

Cookie-kid
05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
welcome & good luck. Alot of great men & women on this site that seem to be more than willing to help so it would seem. I'll be gearing up for my first hunt ever this fall, so I'm feeling the rush. So have a great time. Definitely nothing wrong with wanting to watch a craftsman in their trade.

Mac tire
05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that. Yeah really hoping to get out, if not now then in September

welcome & good luck. Alot of great men & women on this site that seem to be more than willing to help so it would seem. I'll be gearing up for my first hunt ever this fall, so I'm feeling the rush. So have a great time. Definitely nothing wrong with wanting to watch a craftsman in their trade.

Mac tire
08-14-2011, 09:36 PM
True to my word I'm bumping this one back to the top. I would love to get out this September with some folks on here. Since the deer season is fast approaching, I figured I'd ask early

Barracuda
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Are you here on a vacation , working holiday or work? check to see if you can get a hunting license (good for small game) you cant hunt BG unless you have a licensed guide .

after you do a bit of research post again perhaps someone might be willing to have you tag along.

Are you here on a vacation ,working holiday or work? check to see if you can get a hunting license (good for small game) you cant hunt BG unless you have a licensed guide .

after you do a bit of research post again perhaps someone might be willing to have you tag along.

I repeated myself because you said you were IRISH:mrgreen:

Mac tire
08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I have done some homework on this. Im on a temporary work permit which does not allow me to get a hunter number until I'm at least 12 months living in BC, which I am not. Therefore I cannot get a small game license yet. I was considering doing the CFSC course but since I can't progress this future until I'm 12 months living here, I'm holding off

Barracuda
08-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Look at page 8 for buying lisences for non resident hunters and page 9 for non resident hunters

BUYING LICENCES

Resident hunting licences are available at

all Service BCs’ Offices, and other commercial

outlets and sporting goods stores. Nonresident

hunting licences are available from

Service BC Offices. Non-residents may also

obtain their licences by mail from Service BC

Offices

www.servicebc.gov.bc.ca/locations/.

Please note that non-resident licences are

NOT available from commercial outlets and/

or sporting goods stores.

NON-RESIDENT HUNTERS

Non-residents of British Columbia hunting

big game must be accompanied by either a

licensed BC guide or a resident who holds a

Permit to Accompany.

Small Game

It is not necessary for a non-resident of

British Columbia to be accompanied by a

licensed guide when hunting for small game

(includes game birds).

Mac tire
08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks Barracuda, ill look into this further.

Look at page 8 for buying lisences for non resident hunters and page 9 for non resident hunters