PDA

View Full Version : scouting north of PG

rafike
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Went out past Bear Lake on the 700 and the road is still snowed in at the 35 km went up passed tacheda lakes and there is 3 feet of water over the road at the lakes. No bear sighn or green grass. At least 3 weeks away. Anyone else been out.

fester
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
was out last night we decided to hit up North Fraser road and salmon valley road. Saw a few on the highway, North Fraser saw poop and on Salmon valley road a couple little bears, and a few moose.

McSledder
05-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Saw a small blackie on the salmon and 3 meese about a week ago went out a few days ago on the coalmine FSR east of town ran into about 2 feet of snow about 2 km from the highway and I was on the other side turn around long drive back out very little sign on the road not much green water levels pretty low

The Dawg
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Saw 4 blackies and a couple moose yesterday. Got to about the same spot on the 700- surprised the hell out of us with the amount of snow still. Wont leave much time to try and fill the grizz tags .

Crys Shorty
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Alright Steve, if you saw 4 blackies why didn't you take a shot at one of em? I consider myself lucky to find a pile of bear crap of the road :)

moosinaround
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Alright Steve, if you saw 4 blackies why didn't you take a shot at one of em? I consider myself lucky to find a pile of bear crap of the road :)
Lots of blackies out there Crystal! Should have a hide to you soon!! I would bet the back end of the drainages are open off the 700rd. It is just the "hump" from 30-50 km's that has snow. If we would of had ATV's for everyone, I would have made it in to the back end of 7-23c. Need some camping equipment and ATV's head to the back end and hunt while the truck hunters are still not able to get in!! Maybe next weekend?? We will see. Moosin

The Dawg
05-16-2011, 04:39 PM

They werent the ones we were looking for :)

mjmbc
05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
i saw 27 blakies between pg and mcbride sat night on the highway tho

Schmaus
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Seeing blackies very consistently now on the way to and from bear lake every day now, as well as quite a few elk in the fields

emerson
05-19-2011, 08:44 AM
I drove the Salmon this morning, one moose 300yds out in a cutblock giving me the eye and one bear. One shot, one clean miss. Not a big target, head on, neck up from 80 yds, but I failed to do my part considering a thick front sight post, 2 1/2 moa accurate rifle, and zeroed at 200 yds (308 150's +1.7"@100yds). Nothing like a little reality to humble a guy. Well, shooting light will start again at 04:30 or so tomorrow.

Brett
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Good luck tomorrow!

Hey Kris , you see any just past talus rd yet?

fester
05-20-2011, 06:52 AM
up salmon vallet road last night saw 4 bears had two good stalks one was a small guy but thought I would just see how close I could get. One zipped across the road at about 70 metres and was a beautiful chocolate bear.

emerson
05-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Maybe I should start hitting the Salmon in the evening too. I saw 2 moose and one bear this morning. The bear was jumpy enough to live another day, even when I stopped up the road and walked back to see if he had come out of the bush. The first moose was 3-4 hundred yds out in a block, but #2 stood broadside on a high bank above the road at around 70 yds. Frosty breath puffing out in the morning air etc; makes one thankful to be out and about.
Note: my previous post should read (+2.7" @100m), another reason I missed.

fester
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I wanna roll on a morning one this weekend.

emerson
05-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Did the Salmon and North Fraser this morning. The North Fraser is filled with big potholes; I think I will avoid it from now on. It had one small bear darting across the road and a young moose that took a while to figure out that heading down the road, while easy travelling, doesn't do much for hiding. The Salmon had a moose and 4 bears. One that I stalked for 1/2 hour or so but didn't stand still long enough for my shitty surplus rifle sights to give me a solid unhurried shot. Which brings me to bear #1; another clean miss...... A nice big one laying in the grass eating. He got up, turned away, and then stopped broadside at 125yds or so. That's when the sun's glare shining over my shoulder turned the rear sight aperture into a glowing beacon of fuzziness. Once I got the sight picture squared away he was moving again, I hurried the shot and he decided to find a quieter place to sleep. (Yes, I followed the tracks after a few minutes and spent a 1/2 hour beating the bush and cutting for a blood trail.) The day will come that I don't f this up, hopefully tomorrow will be that day. A new white ford with a quad was coming in as I was leaving, anyone on here?

Almost forgot, at 12 1/2 km or so on the Salmon there was a small dead bear in the ditch that wasn't there Friday morning. The blood pool looked like it had been shot on the spot. No tag, or too small maybe??? There is not a positive way to look at this.

Darksith
05-21-2011, 03:58 PM
you have shot at 2 bears and missed both times? Time to goto the range or pulling the trigger when your not 100%, don't tempt fate too many times or you will leave a wounded animal in the bush

emerson
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
you have shot at 2 bears and missed both times? Time to goto the range or pulling the trigger when your not 100%, don't tempt fate too many times or you will leave a wounded animal in the bush
You're preaching to the choir. For first one I was sighted +2.7" at the range I was shooting which I didn't fully account for; missing low would put the round in the dirt, not the bear. I rushed the second one. Keep in mind that I'm not reporting my experiences through rose colored glasses, but as they actually occurred. I believe there is more to be learned when folks describe their mistakes, than their greatest moments. That being said, 15 minutes after my miss today, I passed up several very similar shots at another bear.

fester
05-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I saw that guy on thursday night at about 11.5 k he was real small I stalked him to get closer photos and my wife took some long range ones. I can't post trem for some reason??

Brett
05-22-2011, 06:27 AM
there is a decent one around 3 k right where that new road is in on the right, I've got another area to hunt, so thought I would pass that along ;)

fester
05-22-2011, 07:46 AM
I think I saw him rush away from us last week.

Darksith
05-22-2011, 08:59 AM
I saw that guy on thursday night at about 11.5 k he was real small I stalked him to get closer photos and my wife took some long range ones. I can't post trem for some reason??
pm me and I'll give you my email to post them for ya if you want

emerson
05-22-2011, 09:37 AM
This morning the ravens were on the carcass, and a real big bald eagle was hanging around. Saw another moose and one good sized bear that was too smart to hang around in the open.

fester
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM
pm me and I'll give you my email to post them for ya if you want thanks that sok. it is not a big deal. I have shrunk the photos down to miniscule and it will still not take them. When I get more time I will figure it out.

yugo111
05-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I went on sat 21st up 700 only could drive the truck to 40km tried the quad past that for maybe 2km then I hiked till wicheeda creek on snowshoes way too much snow still over the hump as we call it on that road

emerson
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Got together with Fester for a morning run up the Salmon. We took several short walks and checked out/found a few new spots for later. It was nice to put a name to a member and spend a few hours out and about with good company. It rained most of the morning which might be why not one single bear was to be seen. A couple of moose were out looking around but that was it.

fester
05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Great morning with Emerson and it was awesome to put a face to a handle!!! He forgot to mention all the wascally wabbits we saw.

moosinaround
05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Table in 7-23c is open. LOTS of water though! Might scratch the paint a bit but not too bad. Watch out for the water, it is running everywhere, and the Parsnip is SUPER high!! Watch out for "potholes", there are some deep ones, ask me how I know!! 700Rd is still snowy in the 750's will be a couple more days at least!!! A few piles of bear doodoo, as it greens up the bears will come! Was a wet one today! A couple of sunny days and bears look out!! Some of the creeks are overflowing, but the road seems to be holding together, take a quad if yer worried though! Moosin

emerson
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Table in 7-23c is open. LOTS of water though! Might scratch the paint a bit but not too bad. Watch out for the water, it is running everywhere, and the Parsnip is SUPER high!! Watch out for "potholes", there are some deep ones, ask me how I know!! 700Rd is still snowy in the 750's will be a couple more days at least!!! A few piles of bear doodoo, as it greens up the bears will come! Was a wet one today! A couple of sunny days and bears look out!! Some of the creeks are overflowing, but the road seems to be holding together, take a quad if yer worried though! Moosin

Thanks for passing on the info Moosin. Fester are you following this? Maybe a shared day trip in the next couple of weeks.....

emerson
05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Salmon morning report: 2 jumpy bears, one rabbit and a lost goose flying around an old slash.

fester
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I think we saw that goose and its partener the other day.

moosinaround
05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I might head back up next week! Looks too dangerous this week, lots of water coming down out of the hills. The Parsnip is VERY high, and all the creeks are swelling up and overflowing quite badly! May be a bridge or culvert losing the battle to H2O this year!! Good luck to all you bear hunters out there! Play safe and take extra rations!! Moosin

rafike
05-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Which way did you go to get to the parsnip, 700 or tacheda lake.

emerson
05-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Salmon FSR morning report: Passed a lowbed going the other way when I was going in and 2 crew trucks went in yesterday, so maybe logging is starting up again soon. 2 bears, first one quite small right before the first rail crossing, second one at 23 km which ended up in the back of my truck. Heading out tonight with Fester to try and get his muzzle loader bear.

sneg
05-26-2011, 07:28 AM
I might head back up next week! Looks too dangerous this week, lots of water coming down out of the hills. The Parsnip is VERY high, and all the creeks are swelling up and overflowing quite badly! May be a bridge or culvert losing the battle to H2O this year!! Good luck to all you bear hunters out there! Play safe and take extra rations!! Moosin

hi Moosin ,
It was nice to meet you , Moosin junior and Brett in the bush last weekend.
We continued on for another day, seen one grizz running away way too far to shoot. Tons of blackies, got one ,good meat size.Parsnip is definetly very high. cold spring screwed up our plans. now will have to wait another year.

fester
05-26-2011, 08:22 AM
hi Moosin ,
We continued on for another day, seen one grizz running away way too far to shoot. Tons of blackies, got one ,good meat size.Parsnip is definetly very high. cold spring screwed up our plans. now will have to wait another year.

how long were you up for???

fester
05-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Salmon FSR morning report: Passed a lowbed going the other way when I was going in and 2 crew trucks went in yesterday, so maybe logging is starting up again soon. 2 bears, first one quite small right before the first rail crossing, second one at 26km which ended up in the back of my truck. Heading out tonight with Fester to try and get his muzzle loader bear.

so jealous but we will get another.

Boner
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I probably seen you guys go by, I was fishing on Tacheeda on Friday, and Sunday.

Brett
05-26-2011, 06:47 PM
In a 12 footer with you buddy getting pissed on by mother nature! Yah we saw you!!

Nice to meet you Sneg, like you said maybe another year!

moosinaround
05-26-2011, 06:55 PM
hi Moosin ,
Next time you are swinging through Sneg, gimme a shout. Glad you got a blackie!! Your a dihard boy, it was freakin wet out!!! It was nice to meet another HBCer!! Moosinaround

sneg
05-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Next time you are swinging through Sneg, gimme a shout. Glad you got a blackie!! Your a dihard boy, it was freakin wet out!!! It was nice to meet another HBCer!! Moosinaround

you bet. I 'll be there . You 'r PG guys lucky , hunting grounds at your door steps.
if you go for grizz next weekend have a look at place where you have seen my partner. this where we saw sizeable grizz ,but did connect. there is small game trail from mountain slop to river,seems GB was following that.

sneg
05-27-2011, 07:04 AM
how long were you up for???

3 days only

fester
05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
quick trip. I have not done but want to do a spring bear/camping trip yet.

moosinaround
05-27-2011, 10:33 PM
quick trip. I have not done but want to do a spring bear/camping trip yet.
You doing a weekend camping trip, or during the week? Moosin

fester
05-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I would love to do a bear trip my plans for a bear are a bit on hold as I have to go away for work for a week. I will be back on the 8th and hope to start again then.

Boner
05-30-2011, 07:07 AM
In a 12 footer with you buddy getting pissed on by mother nature! Yah we saw you!!

No, my gf and I were in a green 17 foot canoe on the south lake.

emerson
05-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Salmon morning report. Watched a beaver tweaking his dam, two rabbits running away, that's all I saw.

CanuckShooter
05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
I saw a nice blackie on the train tracks 15 minutes ago between the two train crossings [look west at the 2nd crossing] near Willow River......

emerson
05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Coming out of the Salmon this afternoon saw one bear that hid in the bush.

The Dawg
05-30-2011, 06:55 PM
When I shot my blackie there two weeks ago, we saw 11 including him. I always see blackies there

emerson
05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
One bear this morning and some rabbits on the Salmon.

emerson
06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Yesterday afternoon the boy and I saw 2 mulies browsing just south of the 400 rd turnoff north of Nukko Lake. Right before the 600 rd turnoff there was a whitetail (the boy gets the credit for this one) doing the same thing. All three of them didn't seem that concerned about us, just with putting some weight back on.

emerson
06-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I took a little walk off the Salmon FSR this morning and watched a moose browsing at 80 yds before getting winded. Come on fall time!

Now comes my learning time for today. A bear ran across the road in front of me; stop, collect gear,step out, ease up on where he hit the bush. Wait, listen, some breaking branches, but too thick to see. I gave up, took a quick glance over the next hump in the road, and back in the truck. Drive 50 yds, you STUPID, LAZY, DUMBASS; there's the bear running for the bush again.... Let's try this one more time; walked up to the spot he disappeared, waited and listened. I could hear brush crunching and snapping regularly, but it didn't sound like it was getting farther away. After 15 minutes of waiting and trying to see through the underbrush there was a black blob and a small movement. Looking carefully through a small brush window, I could see front paws on the ground with snout and head chewing at 25 ish yds. As soon as I looked through the peep sights, though, my eyes couldn't focus on the sights and still see clearly into the darker window in the bush. This went on for several minutes; waiting for Mr. bear to move forward 6 inches out from behind a tree. Finally he stood up, but moved forward a bit too much and offered a broadside shot for 2 beats too little, before both his ends were obscured, and then turned away from me. After a few more steps the wind finally turned against me and he left with a huff/snort.

Learning points:
If the bear is running away and not just across, the road, give him time (wind permitting) without pushing and he will probably go back to what he was doing before being rudely interrupted.

I would have had 40+lbs more meat this morning if I had a scoped rifle. Not a big deal with a bear, but next time it could be a moose.

fester
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Awesome Emerson!!!!! I like your stories, did you see anything else??

emerson
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
There were a few rabbits around too. I didn't get all the way out before turning around and moved right along on the way back because of all the time messing with the one bear, but stalking is always better than driving.

slovakien_12
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Are you fellow hunters finding mornings to be as productive as evenings on the Salmon FSR? :/

emerson
06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know about the evenings because I don't have time then. This morning there were no bears, one mulie, and one moose way back in a block.

fester
06-02-2011, 10:37 AM
from my outings I have been on the evenings are more productive and the bears less sketchy

emerson
06-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Are you fellow hunters finding mornings to be as productive as evenings on the Salmon FSR? :/

from my outings I have been on the evenings are more productive and the bears less sketchy

I was out last night and saw 3 bears in the last 45 minutes of light. I went past one, stopped, shut down the truck, and got out. He came back out of the bush and continued feeding. I was able to stalk with 25 yds or so before he smelled me and left. Again, the peep sight let me down in low light, otherwise he would have been in the freezer.

This morning I was out again and saw one bear that left in a hurry. I took a walk down the tracks and jumped (probably) the same little one out of his bed, but that is it. Evenings are better.

slovakien_12
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I will go out and check it out for myself tomorrow at first light ...wish me luck :)

emerson
06-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I got another one last night that I'll post about on my bear thread. Evenings worked out for me this time. Good luck on your hunt.

slovakien_12
06-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Thank you emerson...I saw a huge one this morning and had another 3 within 15 yards. Beautiful creatures I tell you :)

emerson
06-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Excellent, glad you're seeing lots.

fester
06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I got another one last night that I'll post about on my bear thread. Evenings worked out for me this time. Good luck on your hunt.

you bugger lets hear about it!!!

CanuckShooter
06-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Wife says we had a large boar grizzly in the front field on saturday......on the banks of the willow river.