PDA

View Full Version : my first bear

buck nash
05-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Got this guy near lilloete lk this weekend. Found the spot where he'd been feeding on horsetails and grass near the lake. I looked all around the area for a while then decided to move on. After a while I decided to check again and as I approached the area I saw him walking down the road. I jumped out of the jeep and loaded up my gun, but before I could get a shot he ran down the road and around a bend. I went after him and found a very fresh track leading up into woods so I followed it for about forty yards.

Then I saw him about 75 yards away trying to stay hidden behind a tree. I moved to where I could get a better look with the binos. He looked like a pretty solid med sized boar. He took a step forward and presented the perfect, slightly quartering in, broadside shot. I nailed the shot, 270win with 150gr fed fusion went into his right shoulder and came out his left side just behind the shoulder, Shattering his right shoulder blade and liquifying his lungs. He spun around, dropped, crawled 5 feet and flopped.

He's about a five footer and was pretty solid. He was in good condition and still had some winter fat. Unfortunately he'd rubbed his belly fur which was not visible til I flipped him over. He's pretty small for a rug anyhow so I'm just gonna clean and bleach the skull.

I was by myself so I had to skin quarter him where I shot him cause he was to heavy to move. When they say the hard work starts after the shot, they aren't kidding. Lots of sausage and ground to fill the freezer though.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=23653&title=my-spring-bear&cat=500

Wild Images
05-16-2011, 03:36 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC02040.JPG (javascript:;)

MOG
05-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Congratulations on getting your first bear down.

Glad to see you have meat for the freezer and a rug too.

Regards,

MOG

hunter1947
05-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Will be a good eater bear congrats on your first bear.

quadrakid
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Congrats on your first bear,i,m sure you had a great day.

325 wsm
05-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Congrats on your first bear. When those bears disappear around the corner like that it's a great time to have a predator call handy and slowly walk and call down the road.

nature girl
05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Thats great you shot your first bear. Were you a little nervous when you shot it, and then when you had to approach the bear?

tuffteddyb
05-16-2011, 09:25 AM
congrats! well done!

buck nash
05-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the kudos. It was an awesome day out and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Only problem i have now is the butcher that I had arranged to bring him to said he got a rotten wormy bear a couple weeks ago and decided he won't touch bear again. now I'm scrambling to find someone fast. He's already quartered and hanging in game bags in my fridge so I just need a butcher who'll do bear sausage in the lower mainlind. Any suggestions.

peashooter
05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Nice bear. What shop turned you away?

guywitha270
05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the kudos. It was an awesome day out and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Only problem i have now is the butcher that I had arranged to bring him to said he got a rotten wormy bear a couple weeks ago and decided he won't touch bear again. now I'm scrambling to find someone fast. He's already quartered and hanging in game bags in my fridge so I just need a butcher who'll do bear sausage in the lower mainlind. Any suggestions.

Do it yourself man! Get yourself a good grinder (or rent one). You need a sturdy table, your favorite spices, maybe some pork to mix it with and some casings which you can get from the butcher. Plus it's a great excuse to drink a beer with your best friend who's helping you out.

buck nash
05-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Thats great you shot your first bear. Were you a little nervous when you shot it, and then when you had to approach the bear?

Time kinda stood still for a few seconds when I took the shot, but I actually had to remind mself to wait a bit and make sure he was dead before running up to him. I didn't even hear the shot, I just noticed I couldn't hear the creek beside me for a few seconds. It was pretty exciting shooting a critter that can kill you. You can tell from the look on my face that i was still pretty pumped when i took the photo.

buck nash
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice bear. What shop turned you away?

Its not a shop. He's a retired butcher that does it from home in ladner. He did my friends moose last year and another friends bear the year before. and he makes awesome sausage.

rides bike to work
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Johnsons meats in chilliwack takes game their pepperoni is killer I got some kolbasa made that was excellent as well.The adrenalin messes up my pictures every time wild eyed possesed looking every time wife wont let me hang em on the wall

Marc
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Well done! Good job on your first bear!

realneil
05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
nice work!

gibblewabble
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
There's nothing like your first bear, especially skinning your first one....good job and if your doing sausage debone it yourself its not hard to do for sausage and find a sausage shop.

Way to go.

2 Sons
05-16-2011, 10:02 PM
congradulations on your first. and you did it all by your self? hats off to you! Well Done.

ianwuzhere
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
awesome first bear!! good on ya to follow him off the road and get em!!
keep the pix comin!

coach
05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Great job on your first bear! If you are only having sausage made - it's fine to freeze the meat and have it dealt with once you get a butcher lined up. You can save yourself some money by removing the bones, trimming the fat and sinew and bagging it yourself. Anytime you take an animal to a butcher you will be charged by the pound for what it weighs when you drop it off - not for when you pick it up. This means bone costs the same per pound as tenderloins. I saved all the scraps from three deer and a bear last year and had it all made into sausage when the season was over. The whole family loves the smokies and pepperoni and we will be enjoying it all summer. Let us know how things work out.

buck nash
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm bringing him in to Sumas meats in the morning. One of my friends had some moose meat done into sausage there a couple years ago and said they're good to deal with. Says he'll do it up on thursday and I guess I get it soon after that. Can't wait!

BillBraskii
05-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Good choice!!!
Kurt is a moody old ******* but he makes the best sausage and pepperoni hands down!!!!
He is the real deal.......Old school German sausage maker
Ask him to do you some appetizer sausage it's the bomb!!!

killer_shot
05-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Awesome stuff love the chase! got me all excited for my bear hunt this weekend, gonna get me a big ol blackie this year !

buck nash
05-16-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF5822.JPG (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

My wife's gonna be happy when our basement fridge doesn't look like this anymore.:-D These are the four legs. The tenderloins and backstraps are already packaged up in the freezer along with the scraps and trim which is going to the dogs.

5 spike
05-17-2011, 06:04 AM
congrats on your first bear.

buckguy
05-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Congrats on a fine bear. All the work will be worth it when you have the first sausage.

buck nash
05-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I picked up the sausage fri evening. Man is it good. I got 1/2 done into chorizo, 1/4 peperoni and 1/4 done into "appitizer" sausage. It's all great! I have let lots of my friends and family try it and everyone (even those skeptical about bear meat) has loved it, especially the chorizo.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend sumas meats. It was a good price $2 a pound (he only charged for the weight of the finished meat), it was quick and the finished product is awesome.

I'm gonna have to get another bear I think cause the stuff is not gonna last at this rate. All who have tried it are trying to get some off me. My partner, who bailed on me last week, is kicking himself now.

fester
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
good work!!!!