PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Lube

Weatherby300
05-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Just bought a new chainsaw for field processing. What do you use for chain oil in your meat chainsaw? Vegetable oil or olive oil or ? And do you leave it in through the whole season or wash it out and how or what do you use to ensure it is clean?:)

Pioneerman
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
You can use either of those two it doesn't matter. I have just picked up my saw many times and used it with what was it it for cutting bones, and never had a problem in 35 years. I know a couple guys that have no oil in it they cut for such a short time and they feel there is enough fat and juices on the bone to run for a few seconds anyway

tomahawk
05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I know a couple guys that have no oil in it they cut for such a short time and they feel there is enough fat and juices on the bone to run for a few seconds anyway

We have a dedicated saw as well and never use any oil, its not needed with all the natural lube in the animals bone structure. Have done many moose, elk and bison with no issues at all.

Foxton Gundogs
05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
We have a dedicated saw as well and never use any oil, its not needed with all the natural lube in the animals bone structure. Have done many moose, elk and bison with no issues at all.

I have a Homalite XL 2 bought it new(that will tell you how old it is) use it only on meat and have never used a lube, still has the original chain and bar. I do however use a bit of canola oils on the chain after I wash it up just to get it going smoth again.

moosinaround
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
No oil really needed!! Easier to clean too! I Put oil in mine at first, but the canola oil will go rancid on you. Better to not use any! Just clean it really good when you are done, and lightly oil it then wipe off! Moosin

swampthing
05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
You can buy bio degradable chain oil now. It works good for a double duty wood/meat saw.

dragonslayer
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
I use wd 40 good for everything , ha ha

MuleyMadness
05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
you don't need oil, but if you feel like lubing something up, and your chainsaw is close at hand, vegetable oil has a higher scorching/burning temperature than olive...but really with all that blood, you're not gonna need any other lubrication.

MuleyMadness
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
You can buy bio degradable chain oil now. It works good for a double duty wood/meat saw.

Dude, biodegradable is not the same thing as edible. Shit some paints are biodegradable, as were the rear fenders on 90s Dodges....you don't eat them do you.

Weatherby300
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys I think the no lube vote wins. Bought a new Stihl so it should be ok for a bit. Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond.

swampthing
05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Dude, biodegradable is not the same thing as edible. Shit some paints are biodegradable, as were the rear fenders on 90s Dodges....you don't eat them do you.

You mean I shouldnt have fried my last grizzly steaks in that stuff?

gibblewabble
05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Chain saws are old school I bring the recip saw and a couple batteries w/ 12 inch blades kick a$$, nice and light and no noise. I still have the saw for clearing a trail though its a bit faster than the recip for tree limbs.

MuleyMadness
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
You mean I shouldnt have fried my last grizzly steaks in that stuff?

Well that depends upon one thing.....how did they taste? :)

swampthing
05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Well that depends upon one thing.....how did they taste? :)

I havnt found anything that improves grizzly steaks.

M.Dean
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I've cut up lots of animals over the years with a chainsaw. I don't add Veggie oil or anything, I cut the legs off first, then the head. I've ripped the saw a part after and it's so gummed up with hair and bone ,fat and gunk that it plugs the oil hole, not allowing any chain oil to come out. When I get the animal home I trim and wash the animal down,and there's no sign of chain oil anywhere. A note to the wise, after you do use your Chainsaw to cut up a animal, tear the Chain and Bar off it and clean it real good, that meat and crap will rot in there, leaving you with one hell of a mess later on!

compton
05-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I butchered my first moose with a smoky old chainsaw and the exhaust tainted some of the meat, I think the cleanest cutting and cheaper option is to get a cordless recip saw.

500grhollowpoint
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
dude, biodegradable is not the same thing as edible. Shit some paints are biodegradable, as were the rear fenders on 90s dodges....you don't eat them do you.

winner!!!!