PDA

View Full Version : Springs

Hunter22
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Curious if anyone does spring fishing in the fraser river. I live close to Derby Reach and i am getting ready for the Spring run. It's only my second year...outside of the gear ( rod and pole ) I dokn't know much about springs.

Any advice and tips.

Does anyone know when they are expected to open?

NaStY
05-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Prob wont open till july or aug. Check the web site for openings......

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_options〈=en&id=recreational (http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational)

Sako 75
05-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Check out the website, Fishing with Rod B.C, Canada lots good information and members there are quite helpful.

NaStY
05-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Sorry forgot to answer the first question. Bar fishing for springs is what most do on the lower parts. As far as i can remember, most use roe as well. Not sure of the setup, but when i was younger we used bar rigs with 2 hooks ( i doubt you can do that now).

Just go down there one day and get to know some of the regulars. You will be surprised how talkative they are and you just might make a friend. The local sport shops should be of some help. Just make sure they dont sell you a bunch of stuff you dont need.

Hope this was more helpful.......

coach
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Although you can catch springs by bar fishing below the Mission Bridge, the better opportunities are further upstream between Chilliwack and Hope. Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond can put you on the right track for both the lower and upper Fraser. The Chilliwack River has a decent summer run of red springs. That river opens in July. Talk to the guys at Fred's Custom Tackle about timing and techniques for that river.

Hunter22
05-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone, I really appreciate the input. thanks

Buck TraX
05-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I have put a considerable amount of effort fishing the lower fraser around langley for the early springs over the past 10 years or so,it used to open may 1st but the last few years hasent opened till july with a slot size limit.Most of the fish i have caught are under 15 pounds and lots of jack springs and the occasional steelhead kelt.I mostly fish duncan bar and have learnt how to fairly consistently hook these fish in my spots.Most people cast way to far out 30 feet at most placement is key and will vary with tides,some bars fish better on an incoming tide others on a outgoing tide.Usually a lot less coarse fish nibbling at your bait on an heavy outgoing tide.Most people use a SMALL spin n glow on the top hook and straight roe on the bottom hook.I use one hook myself unless i have lots of roe left over from steelie season. I like to tie my leaders about 18" long off of a three way swivel and about 18" to the weight.Then you must master the bite. the chinook bite differently and i missed many fish at first, you must let them take WAIT for your weight to be dislodged from the bottom.After a while you can tell the bite when your getting it,the rod will slowly pull down then spring back then down a bit farther the pop back then it will go down farther your wieght will popfree then set your hook, its always slowl and subtle not violent line screaming like you would expect unless you get it on the spin n glow.Give it a try it can be done. The most productive time JUNE 15-JULY-15 Once the water drops just head up river.