PDA

View Full Version : Squamish Trail Cam- Must See

TheProvider
05-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Had my cam out for 2 weeks, got 9 pics of blacktails on it. Decided to move it to a new area yesturday where I'll be hunting bt's this fall. I set it up on a deer trail yesturday afternoon. I was in the area today so for fun I decided to swap memory cards( I normally lve it for a week or two.) I had the dog with me I figure their smelling where she urinated. Here Kitty Kitty

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i352/TheProvider1/

huntinnewbie
05-15-2011, 06:04 PM
My imagination or does that one facing the camera have a buggered up left front leg? Close to the foot it looks larger and misshapened.

TheProvider
05-15-2011, 06:09 PM
It does look a little messed up or swollen.

Vanman1985
05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
AWESOME pictures to find on your trail cam!!!!

The Silent Stalker
05-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow, I'm from Squamish, so I think I have an aide of where the area is you're in( general idea). If I'm right, I'm glad because I always see cat tracks when I'm in there. Scary, it's not always open season for em either so it's un-nerving at times to be in there. Nice pics, go get em.

Pioneerman
05-15-2011, 08:26 PM
That is great I love pic # 2 very impressive. So when you were looking at the pictures at home did you get a shiver up your spine thinking they might have been in the trees above watching you? If not you will next time you go out. I have two trails cams sitting here in boxes I have not gotten out to use. Every time I see things like this i kick my own butt for not putting them out yet.

theK.G.B
05-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Wow great shots I'm buying a trail cam asap

TheProvider
05-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I got home and plugged in the memory card the last two pics there was nothing in it. Then the following pic was the one with just the rear end of the cougar and its tail. When I saw that pic the heart started to pump a little faster and even faster when I saw the rest. When I was setting the camera out I heard a weird animal "cry" and didn't know what it was. Could've been from the cougars. Then today when I was going to the spot i was doing a big loop in the woods to explore a little. My dog went on point so I stopped and could hear some moving in the woods to the left and right of me. Could've been deer theres lots in there, saw 3 bucks in the area sat. Camera will tell the story next time I check it. I'll definately keep updating pics if theres more of cougars.

That is great I love pic # 2 very impressive. So when you were looking at the pictures at home did you get a shiver up your spine thinking they might have been in the trees above watching you? If not you will next time you go out. I have two trails cams sitting here in boxes I have not gotten out to use. Every time I see things like this i kick my own butt for not putting them out yet.

TheProvider
05-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't find it too un-nerving. I figure the amount of time I spend in the woods there's prolly been more cougars watching me then I'll ever see in my life time. I'm always careful to keep my eyes scouring the woods and check my 6 often. I won't be taking out my 7month old pup out there anymore. If the next pics show a big kitty might have to do a lil hunting ;) maybe use my pups blanket an drag it thru the woods to try and lure it out into a shooting lane and perhaps a lil predator calling. Specially if you look at the last pic the cougar is looking pretty lean. They were at the camera the same day I was so they obviously don't mind my scent and are very curious about my pup.

Pioneerman
05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Very cool indeed I really enjoy seeing all animals on these cameras, but Cougar is a special sighting and wolf would be great too. I know I know get mine out there lol

TheProvider
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Haha mine sat in the house all winter and I kept telling myself to get it out there. It's never to early for scouting and you never know what you might find on it. Buck pics aren't too exciting yet as all the ones I've seen only have 1/2 to 1 inch growth so far. I always wanted pics of cougars on it. Hopefully I get more. Wolf would be cool but I have another area in mind for them :D. One of my trail cam died last season so gonna have to get a cple more.

BlacktailStalker
05-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Thats cool, female with 2 sub adults by the looks of it (can see the third cat in pic #5)

hunter1947
05-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Them pictures are in replaceable and you would never get them pictures without the trail cam ,very nice ...

TheProvider
05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll definately be keeping the memory cards and making back up files on a usb. Prolly print out a few today for the old photo album. Can't wait to check the cam next time. I'll update the thread.

TheProvider
06-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Just a quick update, cougars havent returned but a few pics of grouse, deer and sow with a cub. The cam was set up in a narrow "pinch point", I moved the camera up 30 yards to where its a little more open on a trail intersection

The Dude
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Great pics....I hunt up around Squamish for Blackies....wonder if it's near where I go? Funny, you don't really think about lions watching you.....but they're there! Spooky! :D

kishman
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
wow those are some pretty awesome pics, thanks for sharing...

The Dude
06-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Thats cool, female with 2 sub adults by the looks of it (can see the third cat in pic #5)

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. You can see the flash of the eyes, and the body covers that stick. Funny how the cam went from reg to low-light mode so fast. Pic # 2 is a beauty!

TheProvider
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
There definately around, the cam is not too far from Squamish either. There was a few sightings in the spring by Squamish plus I know a few guys on here have bumped into cougars around Squamish area. You can even watch a cple of videos on youtube of a cougar attacking a dog on the chief. Hope to get a few more pics of these guys but prolly won't.

NaStY
06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Great pics thanks for sharing........... Hear kitty kitty.....

westwayshooter
06-12-2011, 12:07 AM
The cats are all over in Squamish, you just rarely see them. A neighbour saw one cutting through their yard in the middle of the day in lower Valleycliff a couple of years ago. The COS had to shoot a yearling a number of years ago in the Highlands. Some of the hikers have reported being stalked on trials not too far away from housing.
Bears too, the biggest black bear I have ever seem was in my back yard. He was coming around daily last year. Even had one person bang on the door to tell us there was a huge bear in our back yard. My wife shrugged and said don't worry, he's here every night about this time.
Just have to keep the back door closed!

moose2
06-12-2011, 03:00 AM

Good eyes Andy I missed the 3rd until I read your post and went back to look. Great trail cam pictures they are nice to see thanks for posting.
Mike

shaw1962
06-12-2011, 06:10 AM
wolf on my trail cam in quesnel

fester
06-12-2011, 07:51 AM
good trail cam pics.

Deeboe
06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Awesome pics. I plan on heading out the valley in the next week or so to set mine up. Its exciting to see what others are capturing. Thanks for sharing.

toddrat
06-12-2011, 08:20 AM
What make/model is your cam? I've wanted one for a while but tough to decide what ones do the job well. You read reports and that does not seem to help either.

TheProvider
06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Its the simple moultrie D55 IR, affordable enough to own a few of them, I plan on getting more, I've never had any trouble with it. Easy to use and set up. It take 6 batteries but I've had mine in the woods for 4 months its taken roughly 60-70 pics and it still has 83% battery life.

steepNdeep
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Awesome pics! I've got a trail cam out right now... thanks for the reminder to check it. Cats are definitely cool to see!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4908210819_a193208009_z.jpg

ques deer
06-13-2011, 12:18 AM
woooow thats awesome you never knows whats above you