PDA

View Full Version : Mikeys Darkhorse Stud arrow review

Bowzone_Mikey
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
So I call up Cam Jones at Darkhorse one day and get him to ship me a dozen 340 spine and a dozen 400 spine Stud arrows (both dozen I asked for raw shafts so I could do the build up)

the First dozen I built were the 340 spine for Thetackdriver and his new Elite Hunter bow http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?66791-Mikeys-Elite-Hunter-Review

so I did a tried tested and true Formula to build Tackys arrows, first I squared off the nock end (these are weight forward arrows so they do have a Nock end and its the end with the horse in the label) by loping off 3/4" with my 8000 rpm Apple arrow saw. I inserted nocks and looked for the Node deadspot turns out each was 1.75" from the end of the arrow (I will post a link to node tuning and its reasoning later). Since i know that "Tacky" is kinda nervous of broadhead hand I tend to make his arrows a little long anyway and cut them to 28.5" from throat of nock to insert, and in my expiriance with a 70 pound 2 cam bow and a 100 grain head that should spine out just about right. Tacky had decided upon some PX2 Ribrunner Broadheads and some 2" Blazer Vanes
Final weight came out to just over 400 grains.

When installing the inserts on the 340s I went with the Hot glue method, I was impressed with the quality of the inserts as they seem a little rough on the adhesive side ... Not perfectly smooth and therfore made for great adheasion properties, I am not certain if that was purposefull or not but it works so we will leave it at that. The outside of the Studs are perfectly smooth and that kinda worried me abit as to what the inside looks like ... so I took an end cut and sliced it open to see the inner surface, and to my surprise .. its not pefectly smooth ... reminded me of the outter surface of an old school x weave ... great for adheasion as well ... so in reality I did no inner shaft prep other than run water down from nock end out the business end to wash out cutting dust.
Now to install Fletchings, I actually gave my fletching jig and glue to Tacky to do it himself, I reminded him how to do it and left him to do what he does, he texts me a while later stating that the vanes are falling off (remember how I said above that the outter surface was smooth ...;) ) I told him to find some light steel wool or some green scotch brite or alike and lightly scuff up the arrow a bit where the vanes are to be afixed wipe with damp cloth , let air dry .... and glue em .... That works like a charm (for the record I use Bohning Quantum XT glue)

Tacky got everything done and set ... then went outside and shot ... these arrows are grouping like a MOFO we went out and stretched out the bows legs a bit and got him shooting 82 yards and grouping consistantly inside a 9" circle (not advocating a shot on an animal that far without alot of stuff right ... but it can be done).
The 340s fly great out of a 70 pound Hunter as they are about 13-13.5% Front of center balanced. In fact they fly so well that Tacky has learned the hard way a couple of times now to shoot differant spots inside 50 yards ... LOL

-----------------------
400 spine Studs

Ok so the 400s are for me ... out of a Diamond Black Ice bow at 29" draw and 66 pounds, these arrows are not that important to me as i have lots of hunting arrows that I can use so I decided to expiriment and go away from my normal arrow recipe.

so here is what I ended up with and I will tell you how I got there
26.75" from throat of nock to insert face, 2" blazers, 100 grain G5 T-3 Broadheads. total weight 353 grains.

Ok how i got here: I figure I should cut the 400 spine shorter than normal to stiffen them up to fly out of the 66 pound bow
To sqaure the Nock end I lopped 2" off the back to get me to a 30" raw shaft, I trimed down to my normal 28 ... by taking 2 off the front, then I trimed 1/4' a time to get to 26.75" with gave me a about .5" of shaft ahead of the contact point of my rest at full draw (rest is a trophy taker original), I then prepped it like above only except of doing the hot glue method (because I know i wont ever take these inserts out to shorten the arrows) I used a 2 part epoxy(actually a package that came with some Easton arrows I had laying around because I used another product because I didnt want to wait a day to shoot at the time), I scuffed with some green scotch brite and and fletched them up. weighed them and got a 2 grain variance across the whole dozen ... which is perfectly normal for arrows in this price range.. and can be atributed to a bit more or bit less glue or the fact my digital scale cost me 15 bucks at a shady establishment in Downtown PG and is sold for people measuring grams as opposed to grains.
so 12 arrows at 26.75 " long with 100 grain points on a 29" draw 66 pound single cam bow ....I figure they will fly like Crap or fly fricken awesome ... Turns out the later is true ... with close to a 15% Front of Center balance point. I was stacking arrows at 40 yards in my driveway .... Put them through my chrony and getting 292 ish ... Not bad for a bow that is rated at 310 at 30" and 70 pounds.
---------------------------------------
so after all that we know they can be built and they can fly ....

Fit and finish...
The finish looks great .. the smooth outter surface leads me to beleive they will work great in the 3D scene, I will state however into wet DonnaConna butts ... they are a bear to pull unless you lube them up ... I use Woodys arrow lube. I am not a big fan however of the label of the Darkhorse studs ... it is a decal and when i try to shoot them out of my target bow, Because i use a Blade type of rest .. the blade catches the sticker and pops the nock off the string. I have spoken to Mr. Jones about this allready and he is allready looking into a screen print or some other sort of label system for the next generation of Studs for us Target jockeys. the square weave of the Carbon fiber not only looks sexy but plays a very important part of the arrow make-up, the design is such that the arrow doesnt have a spinal column and therfore the spine or stiffness of the arrow is consistant throughout all 360 degrees of the shaft. I rolled both dozen shafts raw and uncut though a micrometer tool at work (I cant recall the exact name right now I am sorry) and raw and uncut these arrows biggest variance is .002", remember these are raw and uncut ... in my exp. arrow shafts are straightest in the middle, and I have to wonder if the decal played a part in that as well.

If you shoot a fallaway rest you will be happy with the Darkhorse Studs, At about $150 or so per dozen cut and fletched to your specs they are reasonable for the weight and straightness tolerances that I have observed in the 2 dozen I have personally built that is extremly reasonable (comparible arrows go for typially a bit more and they are raw usually)

I Know Thetackdriver got these arrows to Hunt with as he aint much for 3D (yet... gimme some time if I have my way he will be hooked by the end of the month on foam) I got these arrows with the sole purpose in mind to hunt with if my mad scientist stuff worked .... Turns out I will have no problem shooting foam with these if I put on a fallaway.

I would like to talk to Cam Jones some more about other accesories, such as Glue in point for target, some sort of Pin-Nock system, a Lighted nock system for hunters etc...

But for first run out I am impressed with this new Canadian Company
Dark Horse Archery
http://www.darkhorsearchery.ca/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Darkhorse-Archery-High-Performance-Arrows/147262248666978

*edit Note: After a conversation with Cam (I purposely left him out of the loop untill this review was written and published) we discussed some things and here is what he had to say:

1)Fast set glues are recommended for this arrow(not cements) such as Vane Tec VT-1000. Anything with a cyanoacrylate as there is no need to rough up the beautiful surface for a strong bond!
2)New MSRP is $148.99 for shafts(inserts and nocks included) this was adjusted May 1st
3)Current smooth finish of the Stud makes it a full bore hunting arrow - the low friction produced by this finish(especially when tissue is encoutered:)!) makes for amazing passthroughs. Just finishing up testing on a Target Series based on the Stud with a matte finish - things are looking good!! Easy target removal!

The Bohning Quantum is a fast set cement and therefore That was the issue .... even still Tacky and I scuffed up the finish to make work it didnt take away from the look of the arrow

Thanks again Cam ...and I am looking forward to checking out the target Lineup

Bowzone_Mikey
05-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Pictures will eventully follow ..

Bowzone_Mikey
05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Nodes etc....

this is a comprehensive report from Austrialia archery very informative ...If you are into that sort of thing
http://www.archery.org.au/lib/pdf/howarrowswork.pdf

Kalum
05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
good review and like the tips on setting arrows up. Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Retailers as of where to get your Darkhorse Arrows

VantagePoint Outfitters
Phone: 250-588-4720
www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/Darkhorse (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/Darkhorse.html)

Donny Brooke Archery
250-575-3741 or 250-215-0283
1230 Gaggin Rd
Kelowna BC
V1X 1V2

Bucky's Sports Shop
250-746-4923
171 Craig St.
Duncan, BC
www.buckys-sports.com (http://www.buckys-sports.com/)

Tyee Marine
870 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC - 250-334-2942
880 Island Highway, Campbell River, BC - 250-287-2641

North Pro Sports
1-888-249-1991 Toll Free
211A - 103rd St East
Saskatoon, SK
www.northprosports.com (http://northprosports.com/index.php)

Archers Paradise
902-530-3309
23 Heather Ave.
Dayspring, Nova Scotia
www.archersparadise.ca (http://www.archersparadise.ca)

------------------------------------------------------------
More retailers are coming soon

The Hermit
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Great review Mikey... and BTW folks - VantagePoint still has a few dozen left at the introductory price of $130/dozen bare shafts! Once these ones are gone the price will be $148.99 / dozen bare.

I too have made up a few dozen for myself. I went with the 340's for my Limbsaver Deadzone 30 Lite - one dozen for target arrows with 1.5 VaneTech High Profiles and a dozen for hunting arrows with 2" VaneTechs. They fly great with 125gr Montec G5's and the 100gr brass inserts (I like a heavy arrow for big game), and PX2's - also available at VantagePoint.

I have also made up a dozen 400's for my 55 Lb trad bows, and a dozen 500's for the Matthew's Genesis training bows. They are all magic!!

One of the tinges I like about them that you didn't mention is that the Darkhorse STUDS should prove to be a VERY strong/sturdy performer - they are FOC providing that extra bit of strength at the tip.

dave*
05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
3452I have been shooting Cam's DH since Octoberish 2010 with a fair amount of success. I have been using these 75 grain easton glue ins with zero modification needed as well as easton "CB" unibushings with G nocks. Makes a good arrow even better.

My solution to getting a fletch to stick on that slick outer finish is Gorrilla Super Glue, a cyanoacrylate with a bit of rubber mixed in for flexibility, stuff works so good I dont even have to pre-prep the outside of the arrow anymore.

D*

The Hermit
05-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks Dave... I'll have to get some Gorilla Super Glue. I like the VT1000 but it is best if you prep the arrow and it does leave a bit of a whitish film if your not very careful.

Bow Walker
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I've played with the DH 500's for my Target setup - cutting them down so that the spine would be there for my 61 lbs of thrust. I have since dropped a full turn on both of the limb bolts just to ease these old, tired muscles.

My build was to cut a couple of inches off the nock end of the shaft and the rest off the point end. I cut them down to 26 3/8" measuring just the bare shaft - not from nock throat to insert - this way I can be absolutely sure that all my shafts are exactly the same length. I then used the ASD to square up the ends of the shaft and glued in some Gold Tip .246" inserts ( I wasn't too impressed with the smooth inserts that came with my DH 500 shafts). After the glue had set I again used the ASD to make absolutely positive that the ends of the inserts were square to the shafts.

Then I glued Gold tip's nock bushings into the shafts and put the pin nocks onto the bushings. BTW - GT's inserts, bushings, and nocks fit perfectly into the shafts. The vanes I used were 2" Blazers and the with an 85 grain point the resulting arrows were just above the 'legal' limit for the "5-grains-per-pound" of bow draw weight. How do they fly?

I went to the recent Malahat 3D shoot and used them there. I haven't been able to do any amount of shooting (and no 3D's) for over a year now - but I went out the day before the shoot and made sure my sight was dialed in and then went up to the Malahat Club. I ended the day with a respectable (for me and my circumstances) 81% shooting average and a 324 score out of 400. I was pleased with my performance and very, very happy with the way the DH 500's performed. Actually, the arrows could have done better that day, had they been used by a better shooter than myself.

I have been a huge fan of Gold Tip shafts for as long as I can remember - with a very brief fling with PSE shaft thrown in - but I have to say that the DH shafts perform very well. The square weave finish did make the arrows a lot easier that most others to pull from the targets, with or without arrow lube.

I agree with BZM on the labelling of the shafts. I'd much prefer to see the decal removed and some other method used for the company logo on the shafts. Hopefully Cam will come up with something soon.

All in all I was (and am) very impressed with the product and with the company's dedication to the product. Congratulations Cam, and I'm looking forward to further innovations and products in the future.