PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a Rifle

slovakien_12
05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Guys, I have what some might call a newbie question. The rifle I hunt with is registered under my dad's name because when the rifle was bought I did not have a PAL. Now, I have my own PAL but I still use his rifle.

Lets say I go hunting with my friend and my dad gives me permission to use his rifle. Besides my PAL, hunting license and some piece of ID what would a CO ask if I was pulled over in the bush concerning the gun. Do I always have to carry the registration? Besides bullets what else do I need to have with the gun?

Thanks for all the input.

Gateholio
05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
You should carry the reg certificate with you. When you loan a firearm the cert is supposed to go with it. A CO probably won't ask for it, but RCMP might. Easiest is to just change the registration from your dad to you.

TSW
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah, from what I understand CO's don't want to deal with the registration thing since that's a federal issue and they are provincial employees...cops on the other hand, might have questions. Like Gate said, it's easy and free to just change the registration so that's likely the easiest solution.

The Hermit
05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Even when it is registered to you my understanding is that you must always have the registration with you.

slovakien_12
05-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info so far. So does the CO usually only ask to see the PAL and hunting license?

Pioneerman
05-15-2011, 02:05 AM
I have only ever been asked to see my hunting license by a CO, but you are required to carry the registration of the firearm too, but again that is the police that are/were concerned with that.

hunter1947
05-15-2011, 03:12 AM
I am with gatehouse what he said get the rifle transfered into your name..

05-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Hopefully by this fall hunting season, Harper will have kept his election promise and your question won't be an issue!

Slinky Pickle
05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Can someone show me and act or regulation that says you have to carry your registration (or a copy of it) while hunting with or transporting a non-restricted firearm.

This is all I can find. The firearm just has to be unloaded and if you leave it unattended in the vehicle it has to be out of sight or locked in the trunk.

TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and
(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
(a) is not visible; and
(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

bcyukonair
05-15-2011, 11:09 AM
i would think all you need is pol cause there is an amnesty till may 16 2013 check this www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca) under cmpliance incentives

Pioneerman
05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
i would think all you need is pol cause there is an amnesty till may 16 2013 check this www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca) under cmpliance incentives

I do not think they have had POL for years they are all PAL unless I am mistaken

Foxton Gundogs
05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys, I have what some might call a newbie question. The rifle I hunt with is registered under my dad's name because when the rifle was bought I did not have a PAL. Now, I have my own PAL but I still use his rifle.

Lets say I go hunting with my friend and my dad gives me permission to use his rifle. Besides my PAL, hunting license and some piece of ID what would a CO ask if I was pulled over in the bush concerning the gun. Do I always have to carry the registration? Besides bullets what else do I need to have with the gun?

Thanks for all the input.

Give it a few months hopefully it will become a "NON-ISSUE"

Pioneerman
05-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Found this so yes you do have to pack your registration with you and the firearm. From this page http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/wild-sauvage-eng.htm

Licence and Registration Requirements

All firearm owners and users need a valid firearms licence and all firearms must be registered. When you are in possession of a firearm, you must be able to show your licence and registration certificate to a peace officer, on demand. There is an amnesty until May 16, 2011 which may protect Canadian residents from penalties under the Criminal Code for possessing a non-restricted rifle or shotgun without a valid licence or registration certificate in certain circumstances.

Foxton Gundogs
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I do not think they have had POL for years they are all PAL unless I am mistaken

WRONG, I have 2 friend with a POLs andthey were just recently renewed, however you may be right in that they dont ISSUE them anymore.

knighthunter
05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I am with gatehouse what he said get the rifle transfered into your name..

It's only a phone call away, Or buy your own rifle.

M.Dean
05-15-2011, 01:19 PM
If you and your Dad sit down with the Registration for the Gun on the table along with your PAL numbers, it'll take about a minute on the phone to transfer the Gun. It's fast, easy and hopefully will be a thing of the past soon! I don't have the phone number handy, but I'm sure someone will, good luck.

Weatherby Fan
05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I was told by the C/O in Cranbrook at a roadblock/gamecheck as long as the weapon is registered it matters not to them,he suggested just photocopy the reg card and carry it with your hunting licence as my Nephew was hunting with one of my rifles at the time.