PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Rings for the Sheep/Goat hunter

gerrygoat
05-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Do you wear your ring while hunting for any type of animal actually?

My wife got me a very nice Palladium ring to wear but it is far too nice to wear for work, fishing or hunting. Was scared that I would wreck or lose the real ring so she also bought me a Titanium ring for a very good price (she loves a good sale :wink:). Pretty impressed with how tough and light it is, now I can get up the hillside a few miliseconds faster than some guy wearing a heavy Platnum or Tungsten ring and get that ram or billy before he can :-D.

How about you guys or gals?

ThinAir
05-14-2011, 08:17 AM
I'll be getting a tatoo wedding ring soon Gerry. I can't wear rings at work and I don't ever wear mine when I'm hunting. I know a few guys in the trades that have them.

500grhollowpoint
05-14-2011, 08:21 AM
I wear my wedding ring and my Dad's wedding ring on the other hand. Only time I take them off is when the boxing gloves go on, and that ain't often these days.

gerrygoat
05-14-2011, 08:39 AM
I'll be getting a tatoo wedding ring soon Gerry. I can't wear rings at work and I don't ever wear mine when I'm hunting. I know a few guys in the trades that have them.

I guess a tatoo ring would be lighter than titanium :)

6 K
05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
One of the things I hate about my job is I have to take mine off. It is the smart thing to do of course. Other than that I wear mine all the time. It has been bloody more than a few times. She knew it would be so when she gave it to me.

6 K
05-14-2011, 08:49 AM
You going to take it off to change jr.'s diper too?

ytlogger
05-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I wore my wedding ring on my finger the day I was married and that was it. I explained the dangers of rings in the work world and she was a sceptic until a friend had his ring finger stripped. Then she bought me an athletes chain and wore it around my neck for years. Then I lost it.

troutseeker
05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I wear mine, if I took it off i'd likely loose it or forget were I put it. I'd be in for it then, lol...

spear
05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Lost mine 6 months in 14 k white gold, o well, wore a stainless one for the last two year up until about 6 months ago. Can't wear it at work either way.

TSW
05-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Mine's on wherever I go. I want to make sure those other sheep/goat hunters know I'm off the market!!
I have a cheap ring to wear for stuff like that but never think of switching them until I'm already on the mountain.

mcrae
05-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I wore mine on the big day and then never again my wife doesn't care either way. Half the time hers insn't on either LOL. No big deal to us.

Lone Ranger
05-14-2011, 02:16 PM
No go for me if I ever get married, won't wear a ring and there's no way in hell I'll wear it on a neck band - just FAR too unsafe at work. I'm not a fan of tatoo's either so that ain't going to happen. My dad's been married twice, never wore a ring either considering he's an electrician. Some guys can justify it I guess, but for most of the rest its just not safe nor feasible. I don't wear a watch either. LR

hunterlaura
05-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I've heard from a few ring stores that if you were to break your finger, and had a titanium ring on, they would have to cut your finger to get it off. After hearing this I did some research online and some say true, some say false. I don't know what to say other than my fiance is a heavy duty mechanic and won't be wearing a ring at work, so on the off times we decided on a tungsten ring due to the fact that it shatters on heavy impact, looks good, good price, etc..and he is hard on things so if he wrecked it, I won't be too angry!

Buck
05-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Do you wear your ring while hunting for any type of animal actually?

My wife got me a very nice Palladium ring to wear but it is far too nice to wear for work, fishing or hunting. Was scared that I would wreck or lose the real ring so she also bought me a Titanium ring for a very good price (she loves a good sale :wink:). Pretty impressed with how tough and light it is, now I can get up the hillside a few miliseconds faster than some guy wearing a heavy Platnum or Tungsten ring and get that ram or billy before he can :-D.

How about you guys or gals?

You should take it off you don't want the sheep to know your married bud.:wink:

BCbillies
05-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I've never encountered a time where I've had to show proof of marriage while out chasing goats and sheep! :mrgreen: In most cases no ring(s) for me but I like to bring a photo of my family in the pack.

elkdom
05-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I doubt a little band of Gold will protect the Hill-Climbers from the Hill-Billies !

those "Duellin Banjo Types" don't care much if yur married!

as long as you,squeal like a Pig Billy Bob !

gerrygoat
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I've never encountered a time where I've had to show proof of marriage while out chasing goats and sheep! :mrgreen: In most cases no ring(s) for me but I like to bring a photo of my family in the pack.

What about the time "Cheech and Chong" wanted to pick you up

Mine's on wherever I go. I want to make sure those other sheep/goat hunters know I'm off the market!!
I have a cheap ring to wear for stuff like that but never think of switching them until I'm already on the mountain.

Funny :)

gerrygoat
05-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I've heard from a few ring stores that if you were to break your finger, and had a titanium ring on, they would have to cut your finger to get it off. After hearing this I did some research online and some say true, some say false. I don't know what to say other than my fiance is a heavy duty mechanic and won't be wearing a ring at work, so on the off times we decided on a tungsten ring due to the fact that it shatters on heavy impact, looks good, good price, etc..and he is hard on things so if he wrecked it, I won't be too angry!

We looked at Tungsten for me too since it is pretty cool but I was concerned it would feel too heavy since I had never worn a ring before, probably would have felt fine. Tungsten is probably the safest ring to own since in an emergency you could use vice grips to crack it off. Titanium isn't quite so safe but I really do like how light it is.

BCbillies
05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
What about the time "Cheech and Chong" wanted to pick you up

Forgot about that one . . . I went with my gut and told the two boys in the shaggin wagon that I'm not interested! :wink:

Brambles
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Mine is titanuim, more often rhen not I gotta check to make sure its still on, cant tell its there, ive almost stripped my finger twice, still have a little lump from the first time, dangerous buggers to wear at work, but I do anyways. If I took it off I'd surely loose it.

Coming_out_heavy.
05-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I used to wear mine, then I lost it in the Tetsa river when I swamped my kayak. At least now I dont have to worry about losing it.....

fuzzy
05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I like the weight of my ring, its 18k white gold and pretty chunky. That said i dont wear it that much because of work and hobbies.If i am doing anything remotely physical the ring comes off or stays on the dresser. It is just not worth the risk of getting my finger caught on anything. i also have a substitute ring i take on vacations. Personally i think you should get what you like and spend good money on it. In the future you can always get substitute rings that are less expensive and you and your wife wont be upset if these ones get lost, stolen or damaged.

fuzzy

troutseeker
05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I guess if you wear one now and start hunting sheep and goats get ready to not wear one in a couple of years! Or better yet, if you are not wearing one yet, go hunting and don't get married! Lol

porcupine
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been wearing my gold wedding ring for over 37 years and always wear it hunting, fishing and in daily use .

Gateholio
05-14-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't like jewelry other than maybe a watch. I've had rings in the past and I always would leave them at home when I did anything hands on. I've had them catch on stuff before, even getting it hooked in a little rock groove on a bluff I was climbing down. Let me tell you when your full weight plus backpack and rifle are hanging from one finger and you feel like the finger is going to rip right off you really wonder why you are carrying around a lump of metal on your finger! :)

gerrygoat
05-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't like jewelry other than maybe a watch. I've had rings in the past and I always would leave them at home when I did anything hands on. I've had them catch on stuff before, even getting it hooked in a little rock groove on a bluff I was climbing down. Let me tell you when your full weight plus backpack and rifle are hanging from one finger and you feel like the finger is going to rip right off you really wonder why you are carrying around a lump of metal on your finger! :)

Ouch that's got to hurt.

I don't like jewelry or wearing a watch either but have to admit liking my wedding ring a lot. If I lose the cheap Titanium one it's not a big deal but wrecking or losing the real one would really suck.

swampthing
05-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I used to have to take mine off for work but dont have to anymore so it stays on all the time. It looks good with blood on it. Just to brag a bit my wife got me a "browning" ring so its meant to hunt.

MattW
05-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't wear my ring for hunting or at work, don't want my finger skinned. I do wear a watch though, I've found out a couple times that those little pins that hold the band onto the watch will break before you're in real trouble.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-18-2011, 07:21 AM
When I used to head north I would leave my ring at home with my wife in case I never made it back. That way my wife could wear it around her neck in my memory if, for some reason, I never made it home. Now, with the price of gold and the fact that we've been married for a longish time, I take it with me. Could end up in a pawn shop when I return:-?.

SSS

bcbrez
05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Only wear it for special occations. Can't wear it to work being an electrician and don't want to lose it by have to take it off all the time.

gibblewabble
05-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I wear it on a chain around my neck because I can't wear it at work. Had a shop teacher in school missing his ring finger so I never wear it when working.

stoneguide
05-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I have I Titanium one that I wear all the time, only take it off if I work for an oil company that makes you take them off(which are few and far between). Cant see any reason to remove it for hunting.
SG

LOC
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
My fingers / knuckles swell depending on the weather, so my ring is sized to fit at the 'biggest' size my finger gets - and it is tight then, but when they aren't swollen it's a pretty loose. I 'lost' my ring for almost a year at one point - it came off in side a glove near the end of the season and I didn't put it back on again until later. As the ring is Pt the wife was not impressed. Now whenever I'm out in the bush and it's loose it goes on my necklace - otherwise it is always on.

troutseeker
05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
So at how many wedding rings are you considered "mature"??? An eight years old sheep will have lot's of rings...

Jagermeister
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I just about lost a finger to a ring, hence, I don't wear one. I told the old gal that if I ain't chasing her ass, then I'm chasing some one else's, so there is no need for me to signify whether I'm taken or not. After many years, I'm still chasin' hers's.

Mik
05-19-2011, 03:27 AM
I Never wear my ring when I go hunting.....its bad luck!