PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo fishing is good!!

Johnnybear
05-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Well I'm tired of hearing all the limiting out stories and big fish being landed lately:-D. I'm going to give her a whirl tomorrow.

Lot's of folks limiting out. Lot's of teener's with the odd biggin being caught around the fingers, neck point, etc.

Heard about a 35 caught a mile out from the fingers two days ago. My buddy was working on his boat at the marina and talked to 6 different fishing parties that all said they limited out in short order.

Sitkaspruce
05-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Good luck JB!!!!

Cheers

SS

blindguy
05-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Go getem there out there for sure!!! splaterback hootch or irish cream spoon.

blindguy
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Well how did you jb? just wondering as i heard it's on fire !

Johnnybear
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Well how did you jb? just wondering as i heard it's on fire !

Never made it out! Saturday was snotty out there. Sunday was pissing rain. Rain wouldn't have stopped me but I was going to go out in another boat (mine is not ready to go yet) and they said screw it. Another buddy (the one working on his boat at the marina) is good to go now. Weather looks good most of this week so I hope to get out one of these evenings.

I am going through withdrawl's bad man. I haven't been out since October of last year!!!

I'm going to start working on mine this week and try to have it done on the weekend. Plan is to have her out on the holiday Monday. Major electrical overhaul with new battery/ wash down pump/ fuel filter compartment box build into the transom. Lots of fabricating and welding.

Islander30
05-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Hey John, definatly lots of fish out there but the seals are up to their old tricks. I went out with a buddy in his boat on monday, we were a couple miles off the fingers and released one small one then had a seal get the second fish which had to have been at least 18lbs...got it away from the seal twice, he couldn't drag it under for long because it was so big, but eventually the line broke. Then 3rd fish snatched right at the net by another seal and 4th fish was grabbed by a seal about half way up nearly spooled me before we could brake him off.

I won't be going back out there again, I haven't heard seals being a problem as much these days, so maybe I just attract them...lol..at any rate I'm taking my boat to Salmon Beach in two weeks so I think I'll just wait till then ! Hopefully I'll catch up with you this year....got my first bear up in the Ucluelet area a couple weeks ago too ! ! !

05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Thrasher produced a couple for us yesterday, although the morning was choppy. They had 4 to 5 inch herring in them we got them about 150 down on green and silver Coyote.
My Dad and uncle did fantastic off Entrance yesterday limiting on springs 14 to 20 pounds. at 130 feet.

They are there.

CT

proguide66
05-20-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm heading there Sun/mon on a freinds boat from Van.......they hitting on the flood?/changes?

Johnnybear
05-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Good sea conditions all weekend folks. Still some good reports coming in. A few miles off the fingers in 800' of water running around 200+ feet with the spatterback hootchie and irish creme spoons. The coyote green glow has also been producing. Everything behind a basic green flasher.

I'm working on my boat all weekend and just listening to the reports:(:-D.

Get out there:-D!

Gateholio
05-23-2011, 08:35 AM
PG66 is off Thrasher in a big black and white Searay (30ft) and needs some help ! They aren't catching any fishys!

pnbrock
05-23-2011, 08:48 AM
try the flaming hans at 150 ft.

Johnnybear
05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
PG66 is off Thrasher in a big black and white Searay (30ft) and needs some help ! They aren't catching any fishys!

There is a minor coming up at 11:25. He could always try radioing Srupp's brother Gerry. He runs charters and is probably out there right now.

MB_Boy
05-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Too bad I didn't know he was out there Gate; we did okay.....and the bulk of the fish we saw caught in the fleet were at the Grand/Waterfall which is about halfway between Thrasher and Entrance Island off Nanaimo.

Just for anyone else out there, chovies and spackleback hoochies were the ticket throughout the fleet from the sounds of it (in saying that though we got one of ours on a green/glow coyote). We got our fish which was a double header 8)(both landed) right at 100' in about 200' of water.....but the chatter on the radio had fish being caught anywhere from 50' to 180' at Grand. When the bite turned on it lasted for about an hour and then we only saw 2 fish netted in the next 2-3 hours; but it "turned on" around noon-1pm.

The freshet from the Fraser extends all the way to Thrasher and the water is brown.....run a bit north to the Grand and you are out of the poop soup coloured water.

Had a nice late afternoon visit by a group of about 6 whales.

proguide66
05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
We sucked ass! Stayed at a marina in from Thrasher and a frikkin killer whale came in and did a doughnut right under the frikkin dock and boats in there!
That water was gross , what the hell was that pooh build up on the lines?

I'm dropping the Grady in at Port Alberni this weekend and leaving her there.....Bamfield has too much to offer:mrgreen:

Tripitaka
05-24-2011, 10:11 AM
@PG66 - I think the build-up is plankton or maybe algae. It has been building up for a while now although I haven't got out in the last month as I sold the boat. Looking out from my window, I can see large blooms of the stuff in the strait north of Winchelsea so my guess is plankton as it is the right time of year. However, my local knowledge is probably way off due to not being here very long.

Johnnybear
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Heard there was a big algae bloom out there. My buddy got skunked yesterday. Heard it slowed right down. Nothing like the previous weekend or earlier last week. Congrats on the fish MB boy.

I'm hoping to get the battleship in the water by next weekend.

MB_Boy
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
That slime is ever present at this time of the year.

We had some on our lines......but I sure didn't really notice at Grande what I would consider a "bloom".

The water off Thasher was full of mud from the Fraser...we kept wondering when we were going to come clear of it running across; and we didn't til we went a bit north.

We saw a decent number of fish that were caught off the Waterfall.

Hey Steve....were you fishing in that Derby that was happening out of Silva Bay? I hear ya about the WCVI vs the "inside"; when you see the entire fleet catch maybe a couple of dozen fish and you are feeling pretty "content" comin' home with a couple it is VERY different. If I had fishing like on the inside....when over off Tofino, Kyuquot or Nootka....something would be very, very wrong; forcing me to pound pints at a faster pace. :mrgreen:

I'll be back over next weekend to give er a whirl if the weather cooperates

IronNoggin
05-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm dropping the Grady in at Port Alberni this weekend and leaving her there.....Bamfield has too much to offer:mrgreen:

Try the West Side and just above the Rat's Nose should the weather let you run PG66. Saw a good handful of REEL Hawgs out there just a very short time ago. Methinks they will still be about :mrgreen:
Herring the main menu out there right now.
Inside the Sound has been good of late too. Needlefish.

Will drop you a PM shortly with my cell number. Wandering back out with the Red War Wagon shortly after next weekend...

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Sorry for the hi-jack on a Nanaimo thread. Now back to your regularly scheduled East Side Story... :twisted:

proguide66
05-24-2011, 03:18 PM
'Roger that ' Nog , will see you out there ''somewhere'!

MB , Nope wasnt in a derby , just went for a quick fish and iron out some wrinkles in my buddies boat.Quite the 'piss contest' of yachts goin on over there!
Get this , two ol farts on a nice 24 orca went to that small island across the bay to tie up and clean their fish ( apperantly they thought they could due to being members of some club ,yadda..Well , the 'big boys' of yachting were there ( royal yacht club er something?) old boys said some kids were watching them ect and interested , then these snob tight ass's came rushing down to them " screaming" at them and telling them to " get the hell outa here". One of them went for the old boys bow line and started to untie them to push them away so the old boy squirted him with a hose then the yachtlooser came at him and the old boy flipped his fillit knife up to fend him off:shock:

I'm wondering , when is it exactly that you attain some kind of 'level' to consider all other human beings un equal or 'less' in any way? I'm just curious so I can cut myself off before I get there..:neutral:

Glad I wasnt there as I would have multiple assault charges pending this week.:evil:

sorry for rant.back to Naniamo fishin....:mrgreen: